NBA Expansion, Contraction, Globalization, or Nothing

hettinger_rl

A lot of people forget about the city of Pittsburgh and their hopes of a NBA team.

1) They have a beautiful arena, that is used by 1 team (2 if counting AFL)

2) There metro is at #23 while Sacramento is at #24 & New Orleans at #42

3) There would be another set of rivals with in-state team Philadelphia 76ers

4) All of there other 3 professional teams have good fan bases so it shows that they can have another team

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

A lot of people forget about the city of Pittsburgh and their hopes of a NBA team.

1) They have a beautiful arena, that is used by 1 team (2 if counting AFL)

2) There metro is at #23 while Sacramento is at #24 & New Orleans at #42

3) There would be another set of rivals with in-state team Philadelphia 76ers

4) All of there other 3 professional teams have good fan bases so it shows that they can have another team

Hopes? Has there ever been any one of even marginal importance (government, potential ownership group, etc) even step up and say that they wanted the NBA in Pittsburgh? It's not like people there are sitting around with their fingers crossed hoping for expansion or anything.

1) The beauty is debatable, but I would assume that it would be a good NBA arena.

2) It's a small market even for a 3 team market, let alone 4.

3) That would not be a rivalry.

4) That "shows they can have another team"? Well, I guess you've done your homework. That's all the convincing I need.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

West Virginia has a history of basketball greatness, but that tradition is not attributed to Pittsburgh. Basically, Pittsburgh rests between Akron (Lebron James) and Charleston (Jerry West) and is too close to Cleveland (which now needs the Cavaliers more than Pittsburgh needed the Pisces).

What's the consensus, now?
1. Seattle (c'mon, this is not fair)
2. Las Vegas (take my money)

3. Kansas City (KC vs. OKC three times per year in Hell)

4. Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh Polars vs Memphis Grizzlies in the Appalachian Championship!)
5. New Orleans (oh, wait, they exist now)

For those who haven't seen it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fish_That_Saved_Pittsburgh

Amazing film, when Flip Wilson is the most-accomplished actor in the cast. ;)

Watch it sucker or Killer will come after you with his stroke cane.

giphy.gif

Flip Wilson, now thats going back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8kWGu3lF4w.

anyway, i think Pittsburgh will get a NBA team one day (should be called the Pipers).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Expansion - Hell :censored:ing no. The league's talent pool is diluted as is, and the league itself is already overextended. The NBA is in 28 cities and not all of them are solid markets. The only place in North America that the NBA isn't that could support a team is Seattle.

Contraction - If they can find a way to make it work, yes yes yes yes yes.

Globalization - Don't see how the logistics of this can work unless you plan on putting an entire new conference (like 8-10 teams) in Europe or something.

Archived