Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

I'm happy they finally joined the panthers in ditching that horrific font that dripped '90s. I have to wait for the actual uniforms to come out too, but so far I'm thinking its a downgrade aside from the font.

I liked the colours and lines of the old logo better. It felt like it had character. The new one feels too clip-art-y for me.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've repeatedly said that the new Pewter is actually darker than the old; the finish and lighting is affecting the look.

@ Colorwerx...

I have a theory and a question and can't think of anyone better to ask. (Nor can I think of a reason why I never thought to ask until now despite easy access to a [the?] color czar. Duh.)

Theory: The perception of the Bucs' new pewter being lighter is because it's more silvery. In other words, do people tend to see silver as lighter than gold unless the shades involved make it unmistakable that one is lighter? And these shades are close enough that people mistake the darker one for being lighter?

Question: In my head at least, and long before the Bucs changed unis in '97, pewter was always more on the silver side than gold, like a lighter shade of 18-0306 TPX Gunmetal. So the brownish or goldish tinge (whatever word fits best) of what the Bucs called "pewter" was always a bit of a puzzle to me. Your thoughts?

Edit: Or maybe it's all in the lighting, which in this outdoor shot minimizes the brown/gold aspect a bit compared to the Superdome shot below.

derrick-brooks.jpg

Buccaneers_Saints_Football.JPEG-0dc98.JP

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

My prediction, hopes, and fears:

Predictions:
First, I have good reason for these predictions. Of the teams that have redesigned so far, I think the Buccaneers have had the most brand consciousness and conscientiousness over the past decade. Remember that Bruce didn't show up in ANY of the throwback games, even when those were greatly popular league-wide. Even when Bruce came back, it was for ONE game a year and that game was connected to and event and made to be a very clearly special single week. The Bucs had a black third/fashion jersey for nearly 10 years, but not once did they wear it on the field. This can be chalked up to the desire for a complete break from the misery of the creamsicle era and the culture of losing that was endemic before 1995, but I think it's also symptomatic of how the Buccaneers, as a brand, see themselves. Where the Jaguars never had a look that was distinctly their own due to frequent tinkering, redesigns, and changing of color combinations, the Buccaneers have had two jerseys and two sets of pants and only one set of socks for the past 17 years.

Home Jerseys: Red, White numbers outlined in pewter with sublimated chrome/silver version of the ship logo in the second numeral (we know the ship will be seen on the uniforms, but don't yet know how. As many have pointed out, it cannot be effectively used in the same manner as the old ship), Some sort of distinctive and vaguely silly "striping" or contrasting sleeves in silver and pewter, with a tiny touch of orange.

Away Jerseys: White, Pewter numbers with sublimated chrome/silver version of the ship logo in the second numeral, Some sort of distinctive and vaguely silly "striping" or contrasting sleeves in silver and red.

Third Jerseys: None.

Home Pants: Pewter, with silly striping in mostly red, with some silver and a tiny touch of orange, probably with a silly hip logo.

Away / September Pants: White with silly striping in mostly pewter, with some red and a touch of silver.

Third Pants: None.

Socks: Unfortunately pewter.

Hopes:

See above, drop silly striping in favor of the current pants stripe and a conservative lack of striping and no extraneous logo usage. I think the sublimated ship in the numbers would be kind of cool, honestly, and would give up the red numbers on the white jersey for that. If no ship, red numbers on the away. I also hope for the black socks to stay the only socks, but would be okay with the addition of red socks for use with the all-white set.

I also hope that the hydro-dip process can be used to temporarily make the helmets white. This seems like it may, at least for now, be the only way we're getting the creamsicle game each year. However, I hope that there is NO muddling of the identity this season. It needs at least a year to establish itself, and I think they'll know that. I just hope they don't get talked out of it.

I *think* the new pewter and new orange were adjusted to look better together. Using ColorWerx's graphics, I've attempted to see if they look better together than the old versions did, but I can't really judge because of the way materials vary. If the creamsicles are truly dead due to the helmet rule AND the colors don't clash like the old ones did, I wouldn't mind an orange third. I'd prefer, however, if there were no third.

Fears:

SO many ways this could go wrong.

The ship logo could be used HUGE on the shoulders, like the flying Elvi of old.

There could be red pants. Red pants would enable a very eye-hurty psuedo-monochrome and would look ridiculous with EVERY color of jersey that could happen.

There could be silver pants. Which will, of course, be called chrome despite being flat and partially see-through. These would muddle the look and there's no good reason for them, except to push the silver in the identity.

There could be a pewter jersey. As much as I always wanted one, I don't think it will work, and I don't want to see the Bucs favor a pewter monochrome look. I also have no confidence in the ability to properly match the color.

Worse, there could be a flat pewter jersey. Nike materials seem to stay flat whenever possible, and a SuperShiny Pewter helmet paired with a flat pewter jersey will look terrible, regardless of pants. Pair that with red or silver pants and we have a disaster on our hands.

There could be an orange jersey or orange pants and the pewter and orange could clash. See above in the hopes section. It's more likely than not that the orange and pewter still don't go together, but an orange jersey or orange pants could be shoehorned in to make up for the loss of the creamsicle games. If it doesn't work, I hope they don't do it.

There could be a silver jersey. Which would be unneeded and muddling.

The pants could lose all striping. I suppose it's a taste thing, but football pants without some sort of striping don't look right.

The color balance could get really, really screwed up. The Seahawks only have three colors and still the consistency is off across pieces. The Bucs have five colors. This could go badly.

I've repeatedly said that the new Pewter is actually darker than the old; the finish and lighting is affecting the look.

@ Colorwerx...

I have a theory and a question and can't think of anyone better to ask. (Nor can I think of a reason why I never thought to ask until now despite easy access to a [the?] color czar. Duh.)

Theory: The perception of the Bucs' new pewter being lighter is because it's more silvery. In other words, do people tend to see silver as lighter than gold unless the shades involved make it unmistakable that one is lighter? And these shades are close enough that people mistake the darker one for being lighter?

Question: In my head at least, and long before the Bucs changed unis in '97, pewter was always more on the silver side than gold, like a lighter shade of 18-0306 TPX Gunmetal. So the brownish or goldish tinge (whatever word fits best) of what the Bucs called "pewter" was always a bit of a puzzle to me. Your thoughts?

Edit: Or maybe it's all in the lighting, which in this outdoor shot minimizes the brown/gold aspect a bit compared to the Superdome shot below.

derrick-brooks.jpg

I can take a shot at this. The color of the helmet is always affected by environment. It will definitely appear different in Tampa than it does inside the SD. Its harder to compare the two helmets because of the satin finish on the new one too. I also think theres something different about the metallic flake in the paint that gives it a more silver appearence. The base pewter hue i have no doubt CWX is correct about. But color being "the way we see hue" and can vary, and its going to play tricks on your eyes based on all those things mentioned

Also, comparing a photo to another photo that was taken with a different camera in a different environment isnt the best way to compare color either. RGB color space and digital cameras, and especially JPGs, have their flaws too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Just for what-the-fucs sake, I dug these out of my old Monochrome Madness file:

TBbucspewter.jpg

TBbucsredmono.jpg

I mocked up another one with pewter jersey over white pants/pewter socks, but have no idea where it is. Anyway, this should at least give us an idea of what the monochromatic Buccaneers would look like.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

112d2ja.jpgAnybody notice how the Skull's teeth mirrors the stitches on the football right below it?

Nice catch. Hadn't noticed that.However, I can't un-see the cartoon face profile in the left side of the flag.

And now that you mentioned that, I can't un-see it either.

Of course, I probably won't notice it on a round helmet, just every other place I see the logo. :)

I really, really hope not. Red pants have no place in this identity, no matter the jersey options. They're going to look silly with every single combination.

Sure are.

Pewter - white - red wouldn't look too bad. Other than that... yeah.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think a pewter/pewter/white combo would look great.

am i the only one who thinks having a pewter jersey would be the worst idea ever made

No, I agree, pewter looks great on a helmet and pants, it would be beyond hideous as a jersey though.

niagaraq.png

112d2ja.jpg

Does it bother anybody else how perfectly symmetrical the skull is? it really bothers me because I know human skulls are not symmetrical and especially are not symmetrical on a jolly roger flag. That's the biggest problem I have with this new logo. It's way too perfect and clean.

@ Colorwerx...

derrick-brooks.jpg

I can take a shot at this. The color of the helmet is always affected by environment. It will definitely appear different in Tampa than it does inside the SD. Its harder to compare the two helmets because of the satin finish on the new one too. I also think theres something different about the metallic flake in the paint that gives it a more silver appearence. The base pewter hue i have no doubt CWX is correct about. But color being "the way we see hue" and can vary, and its going to play tricks on your eyes based on all those things mentioned

Also, comparing a photo to another photo that was taken with a different camera in a different environment isnt the best way to compare color either. RGB color space and digital cameras, and especially JPGs, have their flaws too

And with two different brands' jerseys too

112d2ja.jpg

Does it bother anybody else how perfectly symmetrical the skull is? it really bothers me because I know human skulls are not symmetrical and especially are not symmetrical on a jolly roger flag. That's the biggest problem I have with this new logo. It's way too perfect and clean.

'Tis the point though.

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

112d2ja.jpg

'Tis the point though.

Yeah I guess, just doesn't seem very "piratey" anymore, you know. The logo isn't bad, per se, but the Bucs color scheme and identity conveys a rugged, swashbuckling theme that I don't think the new logo fits with.

I'll say it again. I'll be surprised if a monochrome red uniform is not made available and soon becomes very prevalent.

I really, really hope not. Red pants have no place in this identity, no matter the jersey options. They're going to look silly with every single combination.

Sure are.

Oh, trust me, I agree it'll be ugly. I think anyone who has ever read my posts knows I'd hate to see the Bucs in red monochrome. Unfortunately, I just feel that's the way these things are going. With the helmet (giant logo, chrome facemasks) they've really pushed themselves into the "modern" category. And that means...

smpl_zps6350954e.png

112d2ja.jpg

'Tis the point though.

Yeah I guess, just doesn't seem very "piratey" anymore, you know. The logo isn't bad, per se, but the Bucs color scheme and identity conveys a rugged, swashbuckling theme that I don't think the new logo fits with.

I'm pretty sure that a scull is symmetrical so i don't know what the problem is

Archived