Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

Usually things start to look better after time, once you've gotten "used" to them.

These actually get worse every single time I look at them. Nothing short of an absolute train wreck.

I'm with you here. Usually, however bad it is, you figure you can at least get numb to it. But this looks more ridiculous with every new image.

25iyomh.jpg

I know photos can be misleading, color-wise, but I swear that "pewter" has been darkened to the point that it isn't recognizable as that unique color that the Bucs owned.

That is the one thing I hate the most about the Bucs new look. The pants have lost the metallic sheen and are now flat matte. The loss of that finish changes everything. It is no longer the Bucs I remember for the last decade and a half.

Yeah, I agree, but it isn't just the sheen that's seems to be gone. The color itself is more neutral. The old pewter was a darkish neutral that had just a little warmth to it. A lot of posters have referred to as being "brownish" but that wasn't really it. Brown is just another neutral (brown being a "chromatic neutral"... meaning a neutral created from color... and gray being an "achromatic neutral"... meaning made from black and white). I'm a fine-art painter and I mix paint into colors all day, and if I were trying to eyeball-mix the old Buccaneer pewter, I wouldn't add brown to gray (because, really, all browns are just variations of red + yellow + blue), I'd have to try to figure out what actual color is altering that dark gray, and giving it that earthy warmth it used to have. This new "pewter"... to me, it appears to be just straight up dark gray. Pretty disappointing.

Although the pewter was always an ugly color, and brought out tons of bandwagon fans, it was unique. I agree with the bolded part, it is just now a dark gray.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he thinks they're bad too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Bucs must really know they messed up. They are dedicating a huge portion of their mobile app to articles and videos about how great, innovative, people love, etc. these unis are. In one video, they refer to the numbers as swashbuckling and sword cuts, etc. They have articles about how the media loves them (I guess they didn't watch ESPN or actually read the TB Times article my cousin sent me).

Still trying to like them...Still struggling.

KISSwall09.jpg

Maybe he thinks they're bad too.

Lord Have Mercy - BBTV changed his avatar.

First change since 2004?

Ha. I never even gave it a second thought for years, then realized I had it seemingly forever so there was some brand equity there. I just found out this store near me is closing and being turned in to a condo buiding. I think it has the best sign ever and wanted to memorialize it:

king-of-jeans.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Bucs must really know they messed up. They are dedicating a huge portion of their mobile app to articles and videos about how great, innovative, people love, etc. these unis are. In one video, they refer to the numbers as swashbuckling and sword cuts, etc. They have articles about how the media loves them (I guess they didn't watch ESPN or actually read the TB Times article my cousin sent me).

Still trying to like them...Still struggling.

Their spindoctoring......................Trying to put a positive spin on something that has had a negative overall reaction and is bad

Time to admit we were wrong, looking at the new logo now its way better than the previous. The old one now looks generic.

That's your opinion. Don't say "we".

Usually things start to look better after time, once you've gotten "used" to them.

These actually get worse every single time I look at them. Nothing short of an absolute train wreck.

I'm with you here. Usually, however bad it is, you figure you can at least get numb to it. But this looks more ridiculous with every new image.

I know photos can be misleading, color-wise, but I swear that "pewter" has been darkened to the point that it isn't recognizable as that unique color that the Bucs owned.

Yeah. To use an oft-use phrase (but I think this is my first time), I'll have to wait to see it on the field, but this is how it looks to me. It's too far down a continuum between pewter and gray. As a creamsicle lover, I begrudgingly liked the last Bucs look (it was a great look, actually) and that pewter was a huge part of it. Even with the old pewter this would be a trainwreck, but at least they'd keep that distinguishing feature. Hopefully the color looks better on the field (so someday when they make decent uniforms this color will get to shine through again).

As for the above point. This does not get better. It remains awful. It remains infuriating that they ruined a modern classic in favor of having custom font at all cost, putting a huge logo on the cover and generally letting their uniforms represent Nike instead of the team. I still won't go so far as to say that I like Seattle's uniforms, but I have grown used to them. I don't think I see that happening here.

Some uniform overhauls are upgrades. Some are downgrades. But I can usually understand why it was done (OK, I do; Nike billboard), or rather why someone would prefer a new look to an old one. But I don't see it here. I just can't imagine someone saying that this uniform is an upgrade. I am sure there will be a few, but this is different than, say, the Dolphins uniform, which is not popular, but my jaw does not drop if someone likes it.

In other words, it's not just a downgrade. It's confusing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yeah. To use an oft-use phrase (but I think this is my first time), I'll have to wait to see it on the field, but this is how it looks to me. It's too far down a continuum between pewter and gray. As a creamsicle lover, I begrudgingly liked the last Bucs look (it was a great look, actually) and that pewter was a huge part of it. Even with the old pewter this would be a trainwreck, but at least they'd keep that distinguishing feature. Hopefully the color looks better on the field (so someday when they make decent uniforms this color will get to shine through again).

As for the above point. This does not get better. It remains awful. It remains infuriating that they ruined a modern classic in favor of having custom font at all cost, putting a huge logo on the cover and generally letting their uniforms represent Nike instead of the team. I still won't go so far as to say that I like Seattle's uniforms, but I have grown used to them. I don't think I see that happening here.

Some uniform overhauls are upgrades. Some are downgrades. But I can usually understand why it was done (OK, I do; Nike billboard), or rather why someone would prefer a new look to an old one. But I don't see it here. I just can't imagine someone saying that this uniform is an upgrade. I am sure there will be a few, but this is different than, say, the Dolphins uniform, which is not popular, but my jaw does not drop if someone likes it.

In other words, it's not just a downgrade. It's confusing.

Bingo. This change was one of the most unnecessary in the league.

Can't stand most of this redesign, but I love the new pirate ship and think it could have made a nice primary. If you recolor it in creamsicle and red, it ends up being a nice "third phase" of the Bucs: from pirate to flag to ship, the classic colors with a little bit of Dungruden-era iconography.

YOPaosW.png

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived