Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let's all quit arguing!!!

Well this IS a message board. Not sure what we'd do here if we weren't arguing :P

The main issue is that every time someone tries to defend the Bucs' unis, somebody comes in saying "no, you're wrong, they're the worst of all time, go away." It's the least bit constructive.

I've seem plenty of posts that outline why people think they suck, and I've seen plenty of posts that outline why people think they're good. It's not just "NO YOU!"/"NO YOU!"

Eh, it seems to have devolved the past couple pages. At this point everything is so repetitive that nothing new is really being added to the discussion.

Those Eagles uniforms were a one-off throwback to a time when the NFL was the wild wild west of professional sports. At the time they were worn branding wasn't close to the level of importance it is now. Basically, they don't count.

And still anyway they're way better than the Bucs new uniforms.

I'm talking about a team who in 2014 with focus groups, branding strategies, years of planning, the biggest sports apparel company on the planet working for them and the billion dollar NFL and that's the final product. It's mystifying.

"They don't look that bad" isn't the same thing as praise. If we're accepting "They don't look that bad" as the bar for passable uniform design then we're in a bad place. We can be better than this, people. Let's all take a moment and strive to, as individuals and as a community, be better than these Bucs uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If I'm making a list of the NFL's worst uniforms of all time this is #1 without hesitation.

They're bad, but these are at the top of my list:

New-England-Patriots-vs-Buffalo-Bills.jp

Indianapolis+Colts+v+Buffalo+Bills+DA2qC

And there's these...

76968818_display_image.jpg

You can't compare the Bills' actual uniform with someone else's one or two game throwback...

Yeah, I mean, good Lord, the Bills wore that for nearly a decade. And they tried to convince us "Buffalo Nickel" was a color. And they very nearly beat the Sabres to the punch on the Buffaslug. That's atrocious, and you really need some pics of the white jersey in action, too, to appreciate the full awfulness of the set.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If I'm making a list of the NFL's worst uniforms of all time this is #1 without hesitation.

And there's these...

You can't compare the Bills' actual uniform with someone else's one or two game throwback...

If we're "making a list of the NFL's worst uniforms of all time" then we most certainly can.

Though I do agree with McCarthy that in this day and age much more should be expected of designers. Unfortunately, business is trumping aesthetics, and Nike is finding everyday they can to come up with design elements only they can produce.

Also, regarding those Bills uniforms, there are zero redeeming qualities to them. I can find at least a couple with the Bucs.

Also, regarding those Bills uniforms, there are zero redeeming qualities to them. I can find at least a couple with the Bucs.

The Bills' number font is adequate and the shade of red they use on the jersey/pants matches the shade of red on the helmet.

The old Bucs uniforms were pretty good for a typical football uniform look.

Right. It looked like a football uniform. A professional football uniform. The current set is part Arena League and part Rollerball. Pro football teams should wear pro football uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The old Bucs uniforms were pretty good for a typical football uniform look.

The new Bucs uniforms are a step away from tradition, but as a step away from tradition, they are executed pretty well. The colours are vibrant and the red is set off really well against the matte pewter, which looks far better as a colour than the old pewter. The orange elements are a great nod to the Bucs' history and tie in well with the colour scheme. The pants stripe is fantastic. It's sharp and modern and goes well with the rest of the uniform.

Not every pants stripe has to be this:

1991_Packers1.jpg

There is room for innovation in stripe design, and a typical pants striping pattern would not have worked well with the modern design elements. Is the expectation here that teams will stick to basic striping patterns for the rest of eternity? The pants stripe is the most significant upgrade on the uniform and I hope every team that changes it uniforms from here on in doesn't feel bound by traditional striping patterns. They can if they want to be, but it doesn't serve a purpose and it doesn't look better, so why do it?

The new helmet is striking and brilliantly executed. I'm really not sure how that can be lumped in as a poor design element at all. It's bold and it's brilliant. Most of the concepts i've seen to "fix" the new uniforms have retained the oversized logo because it looks great.

As i've said, I don't like the numbers at all and I don't like different logos on each sleeve, but take those two things away and this is a really solid, modern uniform set. Yes, it's moved away from traditional striping patterns etc, but it's done so in a bold and attractive way. The numbers are an absolute miss, and as i've stated, I feel that if they had less ridiculous numbers, this set would have been pretty well received.

If the pant stripe is modern then modern must mean lets color in a template & call it a day. I do not have to have pant stripes to be traditional but at least they could be pirate related or something that fits a team called the buccaneers theirs & the Jags are basically the same design & make absolutely no sense.

The logo is the real travesty here because it looks like two different artists where picked to do the skull & the other to do the flag then somebody used a program to combine the two.

The oversized logo on the helmet looks stupid for lack of a better word but the canon ball streaks really make it a whole lot better... But yeah what a creative uniform....

Those Bills uniforms are horrendous, no doubt. But just based comparing number fonts alone, they are a better design then this Tampa thing.

I dunno...side panel that connects to but doesn't come close to matching the pants stripe? That's at least as bad as the Bucs' numbers IMO.

Yeah, I mean, good Lord, the Bills wore that for nearly a decade. And they tried to convince us "Buffalo Nickel" was a color. And they very nearly beat the Sabres to the punch on the Buffaslug.

UNPOPULAR OPINION: Proto-Buffaslug was not all that bad! It actually looked like some kind of powerful football logo and not free-floating Barney Rubble hair. I wouldn't have minded if they used that.

That's atrocious, and you really need some pics of the white jersey in action, too, to appreciate the full awfulness of the set.

b11709e10826ee6ab79b0cde8e41b177.jpg

bleccccchhhh

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New-England-Patriots-vs-Buffalo-Bills.jp

Indianapolis+Colts+v+Buffalo+Bills+DA2qC

But but but... on their own, those pants are pretty nice.

Oh, yeah, that uniform's the opposite of me: worthless from the waist up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

See I don't mind the away uniform nearly as much as the home. It had a very cfl vibe to it, which seemed almost apropos because buffalo. Not saying it was good - because it wasn't - just that it wasn't offensive like the navy uniform was.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived