Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

To pile on, the new helmet is not only worse, but ridiculous. You want to talk about "looks like a sticker?" The new one looks like a horrible Photoshop. Like someone took a stock football helmet picture and awkwardly slapped a Buccaneers logo on it without properly sizing it. I'd say "insanely large logo so cumbersome that it covers up all the vents and conflicts with the facemask" has more of a sticker look, as it looks like they applied adult-sized decals to children's' helmets.

It reminds me of a car wrap. It's big, obnoxious, and there's no denying what business it's advertising.

There's a pirate themed laser tag place in Cincinnati called Scallywag Laser Tag (yes it's real and there are two of them). I would drive by, forget I was about to drive by a pirate themed laser tag, and then crack up laughing as I drove by the pirate themed laser tag. Anyways, take a volkswagen bug, give it the same finish as the Bucs helmet (with a chrome grill of course), wrap the car in the same giant logo and you have the perfect car wrap for Scallywag Laser Tag.

It's ridiculous for the helmet of an NFL team though.

No joke, I had a neighbor growing up who, around 2000, bought an old Beetle and fixed it up, painted it all up just like a Bucs helmet, and added a train whistle for the horn. You know, for the A Train. You could hear him all over the neighborhood the night the Bucs won the Super Bowl.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what they have done for the most part. It's a ton of small things that bother me about this re-brand. The shading and cleanliness of the lines are my biggest gripe about the logo's. Why is the skull so symmetrical, where are the tatters and rips and tears on the flag, why does the skull need shading? I wish they would have taken more cue's from the old logo's.

I was hoping for something more along these lines. Shameless plug:

Buccaneers_zpsa88b8f64.png

Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

The new set isn't terrible because it's different, it' terrible because it's a terrible design and design concept. As Cappie poined out, there are too many design contradictions. For instance, why is there shadowing on the skull on the flag? Did pirates way back when follow Fraser Davidson's tutorials? And it's solely within the skull and not across the flag which not only makes it inappropriate time period-wise, but actually implies that the image is seperate from the flag. It's clear that everything was done for the sake of change and not with the goal of making a strong design identity.

I get what your saying, but since when do logos have to be rendered realistically?

Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

The new set isn't terrible because it's different, it' terrible because it's a terrible design and design concept. As Cappie poined out, there are too many design contradictions. For instance, why is there shadowing on the skull on the flag? Did pirates way back when follow Fraser Davidson's tutorials? And it's solely within the skull and not across the flag which not only makes it inappropriate time period-wise, but actually implies that the image is seperate from the flag. It's clear that everything was done for the sake of change and not with the goal of making a strong design identity.

I get what your saying, but since when do logos have to be rendered realistically?

The problem with the Bucs logos isn't the realistic part of them, it's that they are incredibly inconsistent with how they rendered the different parts of them.

They needed to choose a rendering style and stick with it, rather than jumbling them all together. It really appears as if they had one guy do a specific part, then another guy do another specific part, and they just kept passing it around to different people until they got a somewhat finished product.

The whole set lacks any sense of cohesion, and that is my main problem with it.

jNTsTyQ.png

First time watching the Bucs since the uniform change and really, they're not that bad. Every aspect of their uniforms is still a downgrade from the previous set but aside from the number and the alarm clock look they have... I thought the uniforms would look a lot worse. I still hate "BUCS" on the sleeve, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

I like what they have done for the most part. It's a ton of small things that bother me about this re-brand. The shading and cleanliness of the lines are my biggest gripe about the logo's. Why is the skull so symmetrical, where are the tatters and rips and tears on the flag, why does the skull need shading? I wish they would have taken more cue's from the old logo's.

I was hoping for something more along these lines. Shameless plug:

Buccaneers_zpsa88b8f64.png

This looks really good. I think someone else here did something like this too, but again, this would have been a great (albeit small) update.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Good catch on the lack of helmet swooshes. Great choice, I don't know what the inspiration was on those, but the execution was terrible.

The unis as a whole are growing on me, but I'll never link the digital clock numbers or the Bucs script on the sleeves but the Bucs are my team win lose or draw, so I can deal with them.

The helmet doesn't look glossy anymore, too.

its like they just took the old helmets and put the decals on those with the chrome face masks switched too.

You are exactly right. I wonder what motivated the change. If the Bucs get shutout, you might see the return of the black stripes.

Cards.png

The helmet doesn't look glossy anymore, too.

its like they just took the old helmets and put the decals on those with the chrome face masks switched too.

You are exactly right. I wonder what motivated the change. If the Bucs get shutout, you might see the return of the black stripes.

that would go against the NFL one helmet rule i think

Archived