Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

I'm expecting a big change in the uniforms after Gerald McCoys tweet.

"@geraldini93: This is just the BEGINNING of 2014!! New Uni's coming at you as well!! I've already worn it and it's FIREEE!! Just wait. Tune in live March 5th for unveiling on Buccaneers.com!!"

Uh-oh.

As a general rule players have terrible uniform taste

"but they's the ones wearing it theys should make the decisionszzzz on what theys wear"

You're 100% right. Players designing uniforms led to the Bengals current atrocities. Players choosing what to wear led to the Browns in monochrome brown. The players should be the last people consulted when it comes to uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the new color palette again as well...I made some adjustments to the order of the colors...from what I can tell (and what a licensee told me), Black might be regulated to only being used in the logos; not necessarily in the uniforms. Not sure about the Orange, but it looks like the primary colors will be Red, Pewter and Silver.

TampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Alright, I can go ahead and say that I like the helmet. The big flag really pops, but it's what's on the flag that I don't like. It just looks to "clean". What I liked about the now old logo was its signs of distress.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Here is the new color palette again as well...I made some adjustments to the order of the colors...from what I can tell (and what a licensee told me), Black might be regulated to only being used in the logos; not necessarily in the uniforms. Not sure about the Orange, but it looks like the primary colors will be Red, Pewter and Silver.

TampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

So the illusion of the color being lighter is simply the metallic flake/chrome facemask?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The new logo looks like a semi pro team or high school team called the Pirates wanted to use the Tampa Bay Buccaneers logo, but they didn't want to completely rip it off so they changed some things.

It's so much a downgrade. It looks even worse when the two logos are side by side.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My first thought with the new lighter pewter or silver is raider of the south but it's growing me. I have to wait until I see it on an actual player but it looks like they placed the flag so that the skull is in the place where a regular sized logo would be and at the right angle to where it will be centered correctly and the flag is just a background which is cool. Also it looks as if the logo is painted on rather than a sticker so it will be correctly placed on each helmet rather than having the equipment guys messing up the placement or having them stressed to tears like the Missouri guys trying to put on a huge logo on different models of helmets

Actually not a bad upgrade. It was completely un-needed, the only reason it happened is because C.R.E.A.M.

It's kind of shame because I loved the old set. Along with the NJ Devils, it's one of the few looks that I saw no need to change anytime soon. It is a nice upgrade though, minus the logo being huge on the helmet.

Kind of reminds me of what the Lightning did before they :censored: the bed. Rather than a whole new look, just update the old one. Hopefully the Bucs don't do what the Lightning did and keep this updated look a few years and then completely ruining everything.

All in all, I'd have to say B-. I had no issue with the stuff before, but in terms of changes and with what I'm used to expecting (especially with FL teams), I'm more pleasantly surprised. Just rather would have stayed with what they had.

2ly2w09.jpg

I think Boise State should be credited with the large logo, which i actually liked.

Even that can be traced back to the Michigan Panthers of the USFL. This really isn't some new fad, it's an acceptable look for a football helmet IF your logo is suited for it - not all logos are, after all. The Cowboys, Bears, Packers, etc. would look awful with oversized logos, but for the Bucs' logo, it works.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

So the illusion of the color being lighter is simply the metallic flake/chrome facemask?

I would think so...I've seen other pictures where the helmet looks very dark.

This is THE image from the Bucs homepage, which had me thinking "crap, black helmet" upon first observation but obviously we've seen images of the helmet that grade anywhere from gunmetal grey to nearly chrome.

helmet_splash.jpeg

This 360-turn of the helmet does a better job of showing the metallic nature of the helmet that's hard to convey in an image like that or under the bright studio lights of television.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

When the new logo first leaked here, less than an hour before it was officially unveiled, my heart dropped. I hated it. I immediately thought it was a big downgrade, since it seemed to have lost detail and character. So I kept watching the movie I was watching, waiting for the official unveil. By the time the unveil actually happened (with an assist from the news that the ship logo, which I have tattooed on my arm, was retained and redesigned), I was luke warm to it.

I won't say it's an upgrade or downgrade (though I think the new ship is REALLY nice), because I think the difference between them right now is this:

The old one was around for 13 years. The new one has been around for 13 hours.

I have to say that this is much better than expected and is quite tasteful for the most part. I like the huge flag and the updated skull but I especially praise them for keeping much of the old identity and modernize it to keep it fresh. (**)(**)(**)(**)(*)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I’m not a fan at all. The new skull is too Terminator like, the skull/swords fits on the flag in an awkward area, weird tension along the top area. The end of the flag looks dumb, and the size doesn’t makes sense…..if the logo was more simplistic it could work at that size but to come up with a new helmet color that’s pretty cool and then cover the majority of it with your logo….ugh

Oh boy...here we go. The New Orleans paper, which generally couldn't care less about uni issues, is now jumping on the bandwagon. They're suggesting the Saints resurrect their ill-fated '69 preseason black helmets for one game a season. The writer is aware of the NFL rule about alternate helmets but not the difficulty of repainting since that's what he suggests as a way around the rule.

They even made a poll with concepts.

At least the story has a cool pic I've never seen before.

14310939-mmmain.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Two random thoughts:

1. It's a matter of personal taste if you like the new streamlined logo more than the old, but I'd guess aesthetics weren't the only reason they made this change. To me, the new logo looks easier to reproduce. The cuts and tears on the old flag plus the old sword were probably a real hassle. This logo takes care of that.

2. I'm expecting the shiny chrome facemask and helmet to tie in with gloss pants. If I remember correctly, Georgia (a Nike school) said sometime last year that the "silver britches" would be returning in 2014 when it could be done on the current pants template. Well, here's the perfect chance for Nike to roll out gloss pants with this template.

EDIT

Yep, I'm not crazy.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9602363&src=desktop

--- For Georgia fans who prefer shiny pants, Dallas Cowboys style, Meshad has some good news.

"Next year, in 2014, we'll finally have the pants back," Meshad said. "The silver britches will be back. This year you'll see a version of them, but they still won't have the sheen and silver that we like until 2014." ---

Archived