Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How and why would a flag hang from a sword? Wouldn't the blade be cutting the flag off of itself? Wouldn't they want that sword to fight with? Unless they have an extra stash of swords and have spares, but no pirate ship I've ever heard of had more weapons than they knew what to do with.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm expecting a big change in the uniforms after Gerald McCoys tweet.

"@geraldini93: This is just the BEGINNING of 2014!! New Uni's coming at you as well!! I've already worn it and it's FIREEE!! Just wait. Tune in live March 5th for unveiling on Buccaneers.com!!"

Uh-oh.

As a general rule players have terrible uniform taste

"but they's the ones wearing it theys should make the decisionszzzz on what theys wear"

You're 100% right. Players designing uniforms led to the Bengals current atrocities. Players choosing what to wear led to the Browns in monochrome brown. The players should be the last people consulted when it comes to uniforms.

I'm going to make a not-so-bold prediction about the new uniform. This is an all-nike production, so shiny metallic pewter are probably out. And I doubt matte pewter pants would pass the design process, so my guess is NO pewter pants. Instead we'll get 3 jerseys... red, white, and maybe silver/gray. Also 3 pairs of pants... same colors. At the press conference they will show off multiple combinations, and even wear a few in the preseason. By the time the season starts they will have settled in on all red at home (red socks of course), all white on the road, and the silver/gray stuff will show up once.

Yes, I know this is basically the Seahawk approach, but after all, that is what's "sick" these days... or is it "fire" now?

Nike's bold new modern approaches, coupled with player in-put, means monochrome. Count on it.

When the new logo first leaked here, less than an hour before it was officially unveiled, my heart dropped. I hated it. I immediately thought it was a big downgrade, since it seemed to have lost detail and character. So I kept watching the movie I was watching, waiting for the official unveil. By the time the unveil actually happened (with an assist from the news that the ship logo, which I have tattooed on my arm, was retained and redesigned), I was luke warm to it.

I won't say it's an upgrade or downgrade (though I think the new ship is REALLY nice), because I think the difference between them right now is this:

The old one was around for 13 years. The new one has been around for 13 hours.

I have to disagree with you as I believe that 90% of the time when the members of this community does not like a logo or uniform, they usually stay that way. I will agree that sometimes logos/uniforms grow on people, but I can honestly tell you that large logo on the helmet will NEVER grow on me! I can also say that any helmet made of chrome and/or grey facemasks on teams without grey will NEVER grow on me. As far as this redesign, I will hold out final judgement until I see the whole uniform, but as of right now, this is a major downgrade for me due to the following:

* Logo too big

* New flag looks like a kid drew it - the flag does not look ragged and weathered like the old one did.

* The skull looks it came from the Terminator movies

* The new pewter color on the helmet is great in a lot of light, too black in less light and I don't like contrasting colors like that.

* The chrome facemask is okay as it nearly matches the color of the helmet in the light.

* The pirate ship secondary logo is an upgrade

* The new wordmark is an upgrade

I just hope the numbers on the uniforms are not chrome as that would kill the whole uniform for me.

spacer.png

Literally bold

skulls-and-bucs-12q8cqq.jpg

Has character, thick lines, doesn't have extraneous shading, and the skull and crossbones flows with the flag rather than just sitting on it. I'll miss this a lot. The new one sucks more each time I look at it. Each time I look at it I see something new that I don't like. Ugh.

bucs1_12603427_8col.jpg

This looks bush. It's looks like the logo for the St. Petersburg Pirates semi pro football team. Pirates Football! We pay our players in Pizza Hut coupons!

It's been a while since a team took a dump on their identity this badly.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Main Logo: Upgrade.

Wordmark: Downgrade:

Ship logo: Upgrade

Helmet: Logo is too huge but they managed not to screw up too badly. I was worried with any tweaks to one of the best looks in the NFL but they should still look sharp on the field.

87Redskins.png

From Patchez over on his thread:

bucs_zps33ae1875.jpg

They should have gone with Orange font for Tampa Bay and Red shadowing on Buccaneers.

That particular color combination for the wordmark is used when against Red backgrounds...here's how it looks against White or transparent backgrounds:

TampaBayBuccaneers_CBO0100a_2014_SCC_SRG

Here it is against Red:

TampaBayBuccaneers_CBO0101a_2014_SCC_SRG

When the new logo first leaked here, less than an hour before it was officially unveiled, my heart dropped. I hated it. I immediately thought it was a big downgrade, since it seemed to have lost detail and character. So I kept watching the movie I was watching, waiting for the official unveil. By the time the unveil actually happened (with an assist from the news that the ship logo, which I have tattooed on my arm, was retained and redesigned), I was luke warm to it.

I won't say it's an upgrade or downgrade (though I think the new ship is REALLY nice), because I think the difference between them right now is this:

I have to disagree with you as I believe that 90% of the time when the members of this community does not like a logo or uniform, they usually stay that way. I will agree that sometimes logos/uniforms grow on people, but I can honestly tell you that large logo on the helmet will NEVER grow on me! I can also say that any helmet made of chrome and/or grey facemasks on teams without grey will NEVER grow on me. As far as this redesign, I will hold out final judgement until I see the whole uniform, but as of right now, this is a major downgrade for me due to the following:

* Logo too big

* New flag looks like a kid drew it - the flag does not look ragged and weathered like the old one did.

* The new pewter color on the helmet is great in a lot of light, too black in less light and I don't like contrasting colors like that.

* The chrome facemask is okay as it nearly matches the color of the helmet in the light.

I just hope the numbers on the uniforms are not chrome as that would kill the whole uniform for me.

I agree with most of this.

I am ok with the new logo and the wordmark is a definite upgrade.

The size of the logo is just not working for me. If you are going to do that, just make the whole helmet red and put the skull & crossed swords on it.

The Chrome facemask really does not work for me. Too light, silver on pewter is an odd match. I would rather they go with black, pewter or red. The chrome effect is fine for a lowrider, but I have yet to see a helmet that did not look worse because of it.

Too much "kewl", not enough "classic".

Overall--downgrade from the prior look.

I think the best reaction I heard to this was from my co-worker (who's a 50 year old football fanatic..loves the CFL and NFL). I quote:

"So is Johnny Depp going to be the new mascot?"

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm still going to post every mark and helmet on my blog, but here's the ship secondary mark:

TampaBayBuccaneers_SMK0100a_2014_SCC_SRG

Throw a basketball on the sail and that's a good LA Clippers logo. I don't like it better than the old Buccaneers ship.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So the illusion of the color being lighter is simply the metallic flake/chrome facemask?

I would think so...I've seen other pictures where the helmet looks very dark.

This is THE image from the Bucs homepage, which had me thinking "crap, black helmet" upon first observation but obviously we've seen images of the helmet that grade anywhere from gunmetal grey to nearly chrome.

helmet_splash.jpeg

This 360-turn of the helmet does a better job of showing the metallic nature of the helmet that's hard to convey in an image like that or under the bright studio lights of television.

This is probably a stupid question, but is the new logo a decal? If so, I wonder how much time the Bucs trainiing staff is going to be spending trimming them to fit the various different ventilation hole patterns found on modern helmets.

* Logo too big

I'll post this again...the helmet is Pewter, the facemasks are certainly Chrome, but the intent is for them to be Silver - which IS part of the color scheme:

TampaBayBuccaneers_HRS0100a_2014_SCC_SRG

Yes, those facemasks are in the official files as 877 C.

So the illusion of the color being lighter is simply the metallic flake/chrome facemask?

I would think so...I've seen other pictures where the helmet looks very dark.

This is THE image from the Bucs homepage, which had me thinking "crap, black helmet" upon first observation but obviously we've seen images of the helmet that grade anywhere from gunmetal grey to nearly chrome.

helmet_splash.jpeg

This 360-turn of the helmet does a better job of showing the metallic nature of the helmet that's hard to convey in an image like that or under the bright studio lights of television.

This is probably a stupid question, but is the new logo a decal? If so, I wonder how much time the Bucs trainiing staff is going to be spending trimming them to fit the various different ventilation hole patterns found on modern helmets.

It's a decal. If you look at the photograph where you can see the back of the helmet you can see it overlap the molded stamp in the shell.

It will be as much work as the Rams horn decals I would guess. It is interesting that it might look larger or smaller depending on how large the helmet size is. A kicker's helmet vs a DL's helmet.

Literally bold

skulls-and-bucs-12q8cqq.jpg

Has character, thick lines, doesn't have extraneous shading, and the skull and crossbones flows with the flag rather than just sitting on it. I'll miss this a lot. The new one sucks more each time I look at it. Each time I look at it I see something new that I don't like. Ugh.

bucs1_12603427_8col.jpg

This looks bush. It's looks like the logo for the St. Petersburg Pirates semi pro football team. Pirates Football! We pay our players in Pizza Hut coupons!

It's been a while since a team took a dump on their identity this badly.

I never wanted a change, but I can deal with this, honestly, not a huge change in the logo...

- Sword. Superior to the old one. Never liked the lego looking sabre (or saber).

- Flag. downgrade for me, I feel like it is flat and not alot of thought put into it. THe old one was better.

- Skull. Much better. Love the new streamlined look. Is it clip-arty? sure... its a goddam skull people, 5 million clipart of this for halloween and pirates. I felt this is an upgrade over the last one which to me was too sketchy.

- Swords - Football. Lateral move, I like both the way they looked.

Over-all the logo is an upgrade.

The helmet... well thats a different story. I can at least understand why someone would have issues with it, but the basis of the rebrand... the logo, is not a huge difference.

chris_creamer_siggy.png

Please do not fool yourself, the Buccaneers jersey is conceptually and creatively an abomination. Read the "FANFARE" Here...

These will look dated 3 years from now. This move was COMPLETELY unnecessary. The "old" logo was bold and stable. The new logos under the nike regime have been pretty much misses. I just would never have thought that the team I root for had to deal with such suck. I doubt I get any new shirts with this logo for a few years.

Like, they were out branded by a A11 football team that hasn't played a game yet.

Just my opinion, but the new skull actually looks like a better graphic representation of this, from their stadium (someone do me a favor and post this image.

http://cdn.content.compendiumblog.com/uploads/user/d0acc5ee-5d24-48b9-a55a-f862314bfebd/15df7b0b-9345-4a92-bc2a-bf6cc3505f2c/Image/358a1cc197137be536dfab01525d31f2/pirate_ship.jpg

Edit: forgot to mention that this also seems to be the inspiration for the decorative scroll bow waves in the secondary.

Archived