TampaBayRays

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

Given the relative lack of space on NFL jersey sleeves these days, I have a feeling Tampa's new ship logo may actually end up appearing as hip patches on the pants. Of course if this were to happen then the pants would likely be stripeless.

I feel like im part of the minority in that i really like the new logo. That said, i am pleased to see those who dont like it are touching on the most important aspect of design: communication. The messages and "feel" of design is far more important than the aesthetic and thats something that seems to get so easily overlooked. No doubt the new logo is drawn better, but in doing so has changed the personality and attitude of the logo. I am fine with that change, and i think the general fanbase will be too, but i think there is a lot to learn in this thread for designers about these subjects and how to design something appropiate to the audience and subject matter. However, going on about some details like how a flag should wVe or why it would be flown from a sword is going overboard. Its a logo. Its art. Allow your imagination to accept the badass story being told.

I feel like im part of the minority in that i really like the new logo. That said, i am pleased to see those who dont like it are touching on the most important aspect of design: communication. The messages and "feel" of design is far more important than the aesthetic and thats something that seems to get so easily overlooked. No doubt the new logo is drawn better, but in doing so has changed the personality and attitude of the logo. I am fine with that change, and i think the general fanbase will be too, but i think there is a lot to learn in this thread for designers about these subjects and how to design something appropiate to the audience and subject matter. However, going on about some details like how a flag should wVe or why it would be flown from a sword is going overboard. Its a logo. Its art. Allow your imagination to accept the badass story being told.

I'm with you. I think the new look is outstanding. I'm also a sucker for symmetry, so the "perfect" skull/crossed swords is just fine with me.

The pewter/chrome helmet suggests - to be at least - that good things/some nice creativity is in store for the uniform unveiling....

I'll say it again. I'll be surprised if a monochrome red uniform is not made available and soon becomes very prevalent.

I really, really hope not. Red pants have no place in this identity, no matter the jersey options. They're going to look silly with every single combination.

Sure are.

Oh, trust me, I agree it'll be ugly. I think anyone who has ever read my posts knows I'd hate to see the Bucs in red monochrome. Unfortunately, I just feel that's the way these things are going. With the helmet (giant logo, chrome facemasks) they've really pushed themselves into the "modern" category. And that means...

smpl_zps6350954e.png

OSV's post made me realize how close the dark gray used for team Sanders in the Pro Bowl is to the new pewter shade for the Bucs. I didn't even think a pewter monochrome was conceivable, but now I'm beginning to wonder if one might be in store.

Gothamite posted, "The logo is so perfectly rendered that it appears superimposed upon the flag rather than being an actual part of it."

I think you are spot on with that observation.

112d2ja.jpg

Does it bother anybody else how perfectly symmetrical the skull is? it really bothers me because I know human skulls are not symmetrical and especially are not symmetrical on a jolly roger flag. That's the biggest problem I have with this new logo. It's way too perfect and clean.

No....... no it doesn't

Say what you will, the Bucs helmet decal is still smaller in ratio than the Houston Texans collar was.

arianfoster.jpg

1355954014_michael-strahan-467.jpg

or strahans gap

LOL

What the "enhanced" logo should have been

Old "Enhanced"

Bucs2013_zps402a07ce.jpg?t=1393207633Bucs2013Enhanced_zps84558e7b.jpg

They should have brought back the orange from the old Bucco days and incorporated it into their uniforms more than one of two borders for their numbers.

(PS sorry for the low quality images)

If having two borders on numbers is a bad idea (and it is), then adding an extraneous border around various parts of a logo is as well.

If having two borders on numbers is a bad idea (and it is), then adding an extraneous border around various parts of a logo is as well.

Didn't say it was a bad idea, I italicized "two" because I used the idea from the unis in the "enhanced" logo.

I actually like the two bordered number.

Oh, gotcha. I misread your intent.

Still, adding extra borders to an extant logo just to get another color in there is a bad idea.

112d2ja.jpg

Does it bother anybody else how perfectly symmetrical the skull is? it really bothers me because I know human skulls are not symmetrical and especially are not symmetrical on a jolly roger flag. That's the biggest problem I have with this new logo. It's way too perfect and clean.

No....... no it doesn't
Yes it does. That's what I was getting at, that the flag is rippled but the skull/swords are not. They don't look like they're actually stitched on the material, but floating in front of it.

The more and more I look at it, the more I am starting to like it. Was in a Bucs sports bar earlier today with the "old" logo, starting to like the change. Bucs need it.

What the "enhanced" logo should have been

Old "Enhanced"

Bucs2013_zps402a07ce.jpg?t=1393207633Bucs2013Enhanced_zps84558e7b.jpg

They should have brought back the orange from the old Bucco days and incorporated it into their uniforms more than one of two borders for their numbers.

(PS sorry for the low quality images)

No, that looks awful.

Though I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with double outlines on numbers. I just don't like how it would look on this logo.

Something I posted a little while back... Don't think it will be THIS drastic (we all already know they said minor changes to the uni), but it maybe be along the same lines as what they have coming...

i6uhKJA.png

This one would have been the best one. Great color combo with the new ship on sleeves.

Something I posted a little while back... Don't think it will be THIS drastic (we all already know they said minor changes to the uni), but it maybe be along the same lines as what they have coming...

i6uhKJA.png

This one would have been the best one. Great color combo with the new ship on sleeves.

I really like that home uniform. I'd totally be on bored with that.

Well Bucs fans, at least this:NewBucsHelmet_zpscb4cc4fe.png

Looks better than that:JaguarsHelmet_zps37ef863d.png

I think everyone has made their point about the fact the Jags helmet looks like crap I so which it could be changed but we've still got 4 more years.

I think I would have liked the new skull with the old outline if that makes sense. But honestly this is pretty damn good. I mean you mess with the NFL best look and don't totally Jag it up is a huge plus to me.

Now let's sacrifice a fatted calf to the logo gods that they don't screw up the unis on the 5th.

Well Bucs fans, at least this:NewBucsHelmet_zpscb4cc4fe.png

Looks better than that:JaguarsHelmet_zps37ef863d.png

I think everyone has made their point about the fact the Jags helmet looks like crap I so which it could be changed but we've still got 4 more years.

I'm still surprised that the NFL allowed Jacksonville to go through with that helmet design. As draconian as the NFL's uniform rules can be, you'd think they would have stepped and told Jacksonville to cut that crap out immediately. I mean, the rest of Jacksonville's uniform set isn't the best thing ever, but an all black helmet would have at least made it a serviceable set.

Anyway, after letting things sink in after a few days, I'm okay with the new Bucs helmet. The chrome seems understated enough and works well enough with the helmet itself. I think I would have preferred a smaller logo to the giant version they went with though. Curious to see how the whole set turns out. I think it's been said that it'll be slight changes overall which would fit with what was done to the helmet and logos.