Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

wow. Didn't expect such major changes. im honestly surprised by such a bad reaction. Im a highly critical person, who manages to find flaws in plenty of uniforms, but these are NOT bad. The number font is pretty goofy, but the modernization, the addition of orange, darkening of pewter and sharpness of red really pop. The chrome is unique. This is nowhere near as bad as Seattle, Jacksonville, Minnesota or Miami. There modernization was half ass, this isn't. these will look great in the Florida sun, I can promise you that.

Not sure if serious. Minnesota's and Miami's are lightyears better and it isn't even close. Seattle's are a bit better.

I honestly think the new Bucs unis beat out the Jags as the worst.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very short while ago

I can still remember when the Buccaneers would make me smile

And I knew if I had my chance that I could redesign their pants

And maybe fans would be happy for awhile

[snipped]

Standing EFFING ovation.
This isn't POTD, POTM, or even POTY worthy. This may be the Post Of All Time. Just wow. Much props to you, CS85.

I still trying to decipher as to why Tampa Bay decided to go with calculator styled numbers. . . . Why couldn't they have thought along the lines of designing the uniforms elements around actual buccaneers.

In the release it said the number font is based on blade carvings found on pirate swords. I haven't seen pictures of the swords yet though.

I still trying to decipher as to why Tampa Bay decided to go with calculator styled numbers. . . . Why couldn't they have thought along the lines of designing the uniforms elements around actual buccaneers.

Let Nike explain: "Custom name and number fonts feature beveled edges inspired by historical Buccaneer blade carvings."

I wonder how much Nike pays the guy who comes up with silly little anecdotes to explain away their terrible design flaws?

I know this is a sports logos and uniforms board, but has anyone ever straight up tapped out on a team because of a uniform change? Anyone ever actually gone as far as to take one look at a uniform and say "It was a good run, but I'm out. Here's my resignation letter". Because I'm pretty damn close.

Not that I represent a statistically significant sample, but the Marlins lost me with their redesign.

I think this board has jumped the shark. These are fairly ordinary looking. Not something spectacularly outrageous. Certainly not the NFL's worst look. My first reaction was "oh, that's nice enough." Was surprised to come here and see all the flipping out.

What? What league are you watching?

Well, the pants look a lot like the Saints. The shoulder treatment is not unlike the old Cowboys jersey, and the Titans re-popularized the colored shoulder thing 15 years ago.

Other than the digital clock numbers (which aren't that bad), there are no weird striping patterns, arm pit panels, or gimmicky "lets make the stripes look like a Vikings ship sail" silliness. They are a little bit plain if anything by modern standards.

Huh? What about the pants and the stripe underneath the yoke?

The pants stripe doesn't look like the Saints. The Saints just have a thick normal stripe, the Bucs have one of those awful Jags stripes that just "floats" there and doesn't reach the top.

FWIW, I thought the poster comparing the pants to the Saints meant the black pair with the hip logo that the Saints wear with black socks. Aside from TB's color panels, there's a least a superficial similarity.

Is there anybody here who could arrange for some mournful church bells to ring at 2pm EST? Maybe one toll for each year of the old unis? :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Wow.... I thought the Bucs finally had a uni to stick with. They've been fairly successful in it, winning a super bowl. Now, this garbage.

They really had a top 15, possibly top 10 depending on your taste, set in the league. Very unique, great colors.

This is garbage. The uniforms are worse than the Jaguars. The only thing stopping these from being dead last is the gradient on the Jags helmet. But really, the uniforms could trump that. They're that bad. Alarm clock numbers? WTF man...

sig.png

Considering Nike's desire to ruin everything they touch, I was actually expecting a lot worse. The whole league is going to look like this in a few years. I have a feeling we're going to look back on some of these early adopters and realize they got off easy.

I just realized something. Recolored Pro Bowl unis would have been better than this.

Finally something to put these in perspective and make me realize how much worse these could have been.

Recolored Pro Bowl uniforms would have been much, much worse than these. Thank you for that.

Of course, if the other pair of pants is red...

FWIW, I thought the poster comparing the pants to the Saints meant the black pair with the hip logo that the Saints wear with black socks. Aside from TB's color panels, there's a least a superficial similarity.

Is there anybody here who could arrange for some mournful church bells to ring at 2pm EST? Maybe one toll for each year of the old unis? :D

Yep.

I'm going to be honest here. I think they'll grow on me. I'm not fond of the number font, or the different logos on the sleeves, but overall I think they look good.

That's not to say they are better than what they are replacing, however I think that for a franchise that isn't nearly on the same platform as they were when the won a SB in the old set, a refresh was necessary.

I would have liked to see a more modern interpretation of the last set, but I think these are fine.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Vikings set, and the thing that really kills the Jags set is those lousy helmets.

The longer I sit with this the more upset I get.. I mean, this really is turning into a lost opportunity.

Can someone please tell me what happened to this Nike?

goldjersey_crop_north.jpg?w=516&h=367&q=

UNC_Football_2013_original_crop_north.jp

ole-miss-new-football-uniforms-cover_cro

Those are all so very clean, professional, and... well, digestible in comparison. You know, there was a time I was hoping Nike would tweak the Lions set, removing the black and possibly even fixing the number font. But I'm starting to think they don't know how to tweak. Now I don't want them to touch the Lions. Subtle fixes do not appear to be in their playbook.

Vikings fans should count themselves lucky they made it out alive. Ya, their number font isn't great, and I'm still not sold on the sleeve stripe, but in hindsight it certainly could have been worse.

God help us.

I think your post proves why it's stupid to blame Nike.

If a client wants a traditional or more reserved design, Nike is clearly capable of creating it. The release even said that Nike worked with the league and team to come up with this. So while it was their designers, either the team said "whatever, just make something you think is cool", or "we want to really stand out so give us all your cool new tricks" or maybe one of their internal guys even sketched something like this out and just gave it to Nike to refine. Regardless, your post shows that if a team wants a certain look, that's what they're going to get. Either Tampa specifically wanted a "cutting edge" look, or just didn't care.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived