Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

The old uniforms are becoming overrated. Pewter was left off the jerseys entirely and orange was marginalized and only served to muddle the uniform. The color balance on the new uniforms is a huge improvement.

Color balance was the only thing that they fixed.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The longer I sit with this the more upset I get.. I mean, this really is turning into a lost opportunity.

Can someone please tell me what happened to this Nike?

goldjersey_crop_north.jpg?w=516&h=367&q=

UNC_Football_2013_original_crop_north.jp

ole-miss-new-football-uniforms-cover_cro

Those are all so very clean, professional, and... well, digestible in comparison. You know, there was a time I was hoping Nike would tweak the Lions set, removing the black and possibly even fixing the number font. But I'm starting to think they don't know how to tweak. Now I don't want them to touch the Lions. Subtle fixes do not appear to be in their playbook.

Vikings fans should count themselves lucky they made it out alive. Ya, their number font isn't great, and I'm still not sold on the sleeve stripe, but in hindsight it certainly could have been worse.

God help us.

I think your post proves why it's stupid to blame Nike.

If a client wants a traditional or more reserved design, Nike is clearly capable of creating it. The release even said that Nike worked with the league and team to come up with this. So while it was their designers, either the team said "whatever, just make something you think is cool", or "we want to really stand out so give us all your cool new tricks" or maybe one of their internal guys even sketched something like this out and just gave it to Nike to refine. Regardless, your post shows that if a team wants a certain look, that's what they're going to get. Either Tampa specifically wanted a "cutting edge" look, or just didn't care.

^This.

Also, what is everyone's obsession with the creamsicle uniforms? If you ask me, they're ugly as hell, and what "tradition" do they really have in those? Losing season after losing season?

1. If Nike shows up at the Rams offices, take them and throw them out of the window of the top floor of the tallest building in St. Louis.

2. The chimera color scheme here is interesting, but not really working.

3. Whoever thought up that number font needs to be shot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like the color balance (including the darker pewter), I don't mind the new (oversized) logo/helmet THAT much, and I don't mind the shoulder yoke (unpopular opinion), but that's about it. About the only thing "salvaging" this look would be to stick with pewter pants and maybe some white pants. But that would make too much sense--we'll be seeing red, or orange if we're lucky.

The number font is awful and makes no sense. The pants stripe, as well as the uniform in general, mimics what the Jaguars have. The difference is that the Jags could legitimately salvage their look by making their helmet a solid color and not going with a monochrome look (I'd do with teal as full-time home). No such redemption here for the Bucs, unless they blow just about everything up and start over--preferably use this helmet and use the new Red/Pewter/Orange on the old set while working in some orange to that set.

I'm going to have to make a concept when I have the time. Flawed as it is, it will at least have more thought to it than this. Just a hunch.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

The longer I sit with this the more upset I get.. I mean, this really is turning into a lost opportunity.

Those are all so very clean, professional, and... well, digestible in comparison. You know, there was a time I was hoping Nike would tweak the Lions set, removing the black and possibly even fixing the number font. But I'm starting to think they don't know how to tweak. Now I don't want them to touch the Lions. Subtle fixes do not appear to be in their playbook.

Vikings fans should count themselves lucky they made it out alive. Ya, their number font isn't great, and I'm still not sold on the sleeve stripe, but in hindsight it certainly could have been worse.

God help us.

If a client wants a traditional or more reserved design, Nike is clearly capable of creating it. The release even said that Nike worked with the league and team to come up with this. So while it was their designers, either the team said "whatever, just make something you think is cool", or "we want to really stand out so give us all your cool new tricks" or maybe one of their internal guys even sketched something like this out and just gave it to Nike to refine. Regardless, your post shows that if a team wants a certain look, that's what they're going to get. Either Tampa specifically wanted a "cutting edge" look, or just didn't care.

A very good point indeed... but forgive me if I get the feeling it's not quite that simple. I appreciate that, presumably, someone with the Bucs and someone with the league are approving these changes, but I'm pretty sure the team isn't telling Nike they want different logos placed on each sleeve, and yet another on the pants.. oh and please use a LCD alarm clock font while you're at it.

Is it so inconceivable to think that the tail may be wagging the dog here?

God help us.

exactly where i was going to go. to me, the new identity smells of a client with bad taste who had too much control over the design. still, it's not like Nike is rolling out great design even 50% of the time. from them and everyone else, you get a handful of really good stuff each year. the rest is rehashed and recycled ideas mixed with some really poor new design

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Everything about these are ok except the number font. Nothing too crazy. Someone in charge of this refreshing in the Bucs organization had to make the final call. Maybe all these owners just have poor taste when it comes to uni fashion. Not just the designers at Nike.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

So far, the absolute best thing I can say about these uniforms is that it would've been a somewhat-tolerable template for the Titans. That's it. My goodness, it's like they took everything I didn't like about the Jaguars & Seahawks jersey redesigns and smashed them together.

Bad/questionable color balance. (Jags & Seahawks)

Random splatters of an almost-neon color. (Seahawks)

Ill-advised asymmetry. (Seahawks)

Icky numbers. (Jags & Seahawks)

Pant "blocks" (I can't call them stripes, obviously). (Jags)

Overtly angular and edgy. (Jags)

Wordmarks where there shouldn't be wordmarks. (Seahawks)

All of those things are present on these new Bucs uniforms. And what really grinds my gears is that now, the jerseys don't really even match the logo/helmet! Think about it. The new logos, while they have their issues, still lean strongly towards the traditional look of the Buccaneers. No random splatters of almost-neon orange, no overt aggressiveness. Just a nice, plain logo. The jerseys, however, lean so far away from "plain" that it instantly clashes. And unlike the Seahawks, the logo isn't abstract enough to compliment the jersey design. The new logo/helmet screamed for a Vikings-esque update, not a Jaguars-esque modernization.

Ugh. Fail. FAIL. This just doesn't work, at all, and I'm baffled as to why they went in this direction. Didn't we hear that the Bucs were only making "minor changes?" What happened to that? I never liked the creamsicle look (unlike the Dolphins, the Bucs' choice of bright colors looks dated today, a shame, because the color balance was near-perfect), but I'll gladly take them over this.

One of the best examples of a well-done modern look, transformed into one of the best examples of modern design gone horribly wrong.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Lost in all this is what happened to the 3/5 reveal? It's like they just couldn't wait to rip the wrapper off. The release on their website says:

===

The previously scheduled press event on Wednesday, March 5, has been replaced in favor of an exclusive, Buccaneers Season Pass Members-only event featuring the first live viewing of the new uniforms. Further details will be provided at a later date. A photo gallery of high-resolution imagery and additional information regarding the team's new look will be released at 2:00 p.m. ET on both Buccaneers.com and Nikeinc.com.

===

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Honestly, after looking at it for a couple minutes, it's not completely awful. Fix the numbers and shrink the helmet logo, and I think this is a decent uniform.

Not picking on you specifically but everybody keeps saying, "If they did this and did that..." But history says they won't. That's what will be on the field for however many years until the next redesign.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The old uniforms are becoming overrated. Pewter was left off the jerseys entirely and orange was marginalized and only served to muddle the uniform. The color balance on the new uniforms is a huge improvement.

Color balance was the only thing that they fixed.

Couldn't disagree more.

I don't think color balance was an issue at all with the old uniforms. In fact, I think that was one of its great strengths. The pants stripe matched the numbers, the pants color matched the helmet, and the socks and cuffs matched the facemask. Where was the lack of balance? It was sort of a modern take on the 49ers/Packers/Cowboys/Saints/Raiders model.

If anything, these are now less balanced because it's so pewter dominant with the yoke, helmet, pants, socks and because the only place where red appears on the jerseys is in the numbers and logos.

Also, there was no pewter on the old jerseys because they didn't need pewter on the jerseys. The matching elements that appeared on the pewter bases connected them with the jerseys despite the jerseys completely lacking pewter. The whole uniform worked in concert. It's why the white pants was always the inferior look.

More pewter on those jerseys would've muddled (hate this word) that design and would've been tacky pewter overload, which is what they have now. Just because you have a color doesn't mean it has to appear in every part of the uniform and you can create a solid look that is balanced if the colors are applied correctly. This new one isn't. The old one was handled perfectly.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Honestly, after looking at it for a couple minutes, it's not completely awful. Fix the numbers and shrink the helmet logo, and I think this is a decent uniform.

Not picking on you specifically but everybody keeps saying, "If they did this and did that..." But history says they won't. That's what will be on the field for however many years until the next redesign.

Yeah, and it sucks that there is nothing we can do. I was just looking for the silver lining.

Archived