Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That just may be the biggest downgrade in NFL history. The Bucs went from one of the best looks in the league to quite possibly the worst. Good Lord are those things awful.

It's probably tied with Jacksonville's second to last set , which also followed a modern classic.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm still trying to figure out what "historical buccaneer blade carvings" are. I tried googling pirate sword blade carvings and they all seem to refer to, you know, the carvings on the actual blade (this is a dagger, I know, but I liked how TB Bucs this pic is):

web_Pirate%20Mini%20Dagger%20With%20Scab

To me, though, Nike seemed to interpret the carvings as if a blade had slashed their numbers:

TB-Buccaneers-Uniforms-New-Back-590x445.

And for all the people who are questioning whether chrome fits, I think that the explanation of it being part of the Buccaneers' blade can work, but I just don't know if chrome works for a sport played most of the time outside (let alone for a team that plays in the Sunshine state).

One more note on the colors: when the new primary logo came out, I said I'd only buy the new bold football color (which seems to contradict the desire to have a tougher look) if that orange matched the orange that they'd be going with overall. Well, you tell me if this is "Bay orange" (I honestly can't tell):

3670_tampa_bay_buccaneers-primary-2014.p

And does that logo give any indication of how pewter their new identity is?

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

What are the odds of these getting New York-Islander-fisherman'd after a season? Or better yet, before the season begins? Can they do that?

Very unlikely. The uniforms are a massive hit on twitter and facebook. These things are going to sell.

The picture I saw on facebook was getting overwhelmingly negative reviews in the comments. Of course there were morons who would like any piece of garbage they threw out there, but most of the top comments were jeers. I wouldn't call it a massive hit.

PvO6ZWJ.png

What are the odds of these getting New York-Islander-fisherman'd after a season? Or better yet, before the season begins? Can they do that?

Doesn't the NFL have a five-year wait between redesign policy?

I have the sinking feeling whatever the Lions and Nike come up with will make me miss their current set, which I've never liked. Sonsabitches.

To fire up the discussion here are the jerseys compared to each other:

Bh04n-FCMAEHxJu.jpg

Honestly I wish we could go back. I would much rather have the old unis even though I really do like the new logo and even the helmet. Those numbers ruin the whole thing....

Oh man. I suddenly feel like all the fears I had after the helmet was unveiled have been justified. I'm not sure what's worse though. The uniforms or Nike's corporate BS speak spewed out to justify the design. Everything's a downgrade across the board. The new logos, the colour tweaks, the new helmets, socks, and pants. The number font's G-ddamn ridiculous, ESPECIALLY for a pirate themed team. This is perhaps the clown suitiest of clown suits. Jacksonville's putrid helmet still gives the Jags an edge for worst uniforms in the league, but in terms of looking terrible from head to toe? The Bucs take the cake.

I get what you're saying, and don't really disagree. I just can't blame Nike for being Nike...

I can. If Nike would stop doing...whatever it is that they're doing then we could stop arguing about who to blame for football uniform train wreck after train wreck.

There has to be some custom font they could have done that matched the wordmark. Maybe not 100% but at least closer.

For all the crap that we give some people in the concepts forum for using the fill tool, Nike seems to be doing the same thing, especially on their football pants.

At first sight I was pretty annoyed but accepting of these. But seeing this angle, right here, makes me wanna flip a table.

Bh0yxhsCEAAxWUE.jpg

This is nothing short of an ENORMOUS downgrade. Everything that I hoped they wouldn't do, they did. That new pewter color makes it look like Malcolm Glazer was dumpster diving at The Factory of Sadness and found the Browns old pants under a pile of dirty diapers and was astonished at how much they reminded him of Errol Flynn. It would actually be a better look with white pants at home, and that was the absolute WORST look with the old uniforms. This whole thing is SUCH a train wreck.

That number font just sucks. Someone said it looks like it's from those non-NFL football video games. Check.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Let me start by saying I'm a Jags fan so I really don't have much room to talk because of the helmet they put out on the field. I love the rest of the Jaguars set by the way. As for the Bucs, horrible numbers all the way around font,outlines,and slashes. The thing I hated about the Seahawks set was the word Seahawks on one side. The Bucs use of the ship logo on one shoulder and the word "Bucs" on the other is just as bad as the numbers. I also think they used way too much pewter. Im not a fan of this set at all.

Would it have killed them to run it past the fans first? I mean, Fortune 500 companies do test trials with real people all the time, so why not the Bucs? "These are our new uniforms and there's nothing you can do about it" is the height of arrogance and tone deafness.

I fear what Nike has in store for my Browns in 2015

The Browns already look like total horse****. Its not like they could look any worse.

The Browns should have been rebranded and those current mess of a uniform burned and tossed into Lake Erie, when they came back into the league in 1999.

And for the 198th time...QUIT BLAMING NIKE!!! The teams are the ones who make the decisions on the rebrands and uni changes. NFL properties is heavily involved too. You morons blaming Nike for everything don't know what you are talking about...as usual.

You have to admit that the large logo, use of chrome and bright colors all reek of nike. Not complaining about the features but its pretty obvious they have a great deal of control...

If the Bucs said "wow, that flag is just too big. We want it the same size as before", Nike might say "but... but BIG... and..." but the Bucs could just say "we want it smaller. Thanks."

"control" is in the hands of the client.

I completely agree with you. But you have to release sometimes the client doesn't know what's best for them and allows the "design" team to manhandle the situation.

Definitely, but that's hardly the fault of the designer. If it's an independent designer I would probably expect something a little more tasteful, but in Nike's case, if given no guidelines they'll do whatever they can to show off their technology and generate attention.

That's like dangling a steak in front of a lion then getting mad at the lion for eating it.

I'm not defending Nike's designers, but it's flat out lazy and irresponsible for anyone to blame a designer without knowing what the parameters were or what input the client gave. Even if none, the blame goes to the client.

If I look like an idiot because I'm wearing a woman's pink bejazzled sweater, it's my fault for buying it from the store, not the designer's for making it.

Put another way - If I go home tonight and set out four bowls of 'food' for my dog;

- cat vomit

- contents from the lint tray in my dryer

- toe-nail clippings

- his own, freshly purged excrement

...he's gonna eat one of 'em.

Just sayin'.

In my world Nike gets more than half the blame.

But in this scenario it could very well be that your dog really wants cat vomit. You could have a nicely grilled steak for him. But he just really prefers the cat vomit. So what do you do? You give him the best cat vomit possible.

Archived