TampaBayRays

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

1. If there isn't a "bay orange" alternate jersey, I'd be shocked. There is NO reason to have a orange pair of socks available, if this isn't the case. The orange socks would have NO place with any of the red or white jersey combos. They only exist to be worn with the orange jersey, which we haven't seen yet.

2. I think in the end, the Bucs will wear the red jersey with the pewter and white pants. The white jersey with the pewter and white pants. And the orange jersey with the pewter pants (think Oklahoma State and what they look like with their orange jersey/pewter pants combo that they've worn in recent years). Orange socks with the orange jersey.

3. Not sure what they'll do with deciding on the red and pewter socks. If it were me, the red socks would be worn with the pewter pants and the pewter socks would be worn with the white pants.

4. For those whining about the look (big surprise), my guess is that there were plenty of people who didn't like the initial Bucs rebrand in 1997 either. Too different. Strange color (pewter???). Not traditional enough. We got used to them. We'll get used to these. Lets all settle down.

Read an article earlier that said the Bucs are hoping the league will reverse its one helmet rule so they can still wear their throwbacks. My bet would be that they have an orange version of this jersey available in case the league stands firm.

Yea I know I was hoping for pics with better lighting, the ones posted are dark would love to see them in natural lighting

The orange football was in the '97-'13 logo, as well. Along with the orange number trim, it was a subtle tribute to Bucco Bruce.

What you're talking about seems more brown than creamsicle to me, but maybe I'm just a bit color-blind:

1046.gif

EDIT:

IIRC, it was a different shade of orange before. Now it actually matches the Bucco Bruce era orange.

Yeah, that's how I feel.

OK - here we go...(thought I'd already done this):

TampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_1979_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_1996_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2000_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2011_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2013_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_9999_SC

Yes, I know they are now referring to the current Orange as "Bay Orange"...haven't had a chance to regenerate that swatch yet...

1. If there isn't a "bay orange" alternate jersey, I'd be shocked. There is NO reason to have a orange pair of socks available, if this isn't the case. The orange socks would have NO place with any of the red or white jersey combos. They only exist to be worn with the orange jersey, which we haven't seen yet.

2. I think in the end, the Bucs will wear the red jersey with the pewter and white pants. The white jersey with the pewter and white pants. And the orange jersey with the pewter pants (think Oklahoma State and what they look like with their orange jersey/pewter pants combo that they've worn in recent years). Orange socks with the orange jersey.

3. Not sure what they'll do with deciding on the red and pewter socks. If it were me, the red socks would be worn with the pewter pants and the pewter socks would be worn with the white pants.

4. For those whining about the look (big surprise), my guess is that there were plenty of people who didn't like the initial Bucs rebrand in 1997 either. Too different. Strange color (pewter???). Not traditional enough. We got used to them. We'll get used to these. Lets all settle down.

maybe they'll roll with the orange socks for away. White top white bottom with orange socks? Only way I can rationalize orange socks without an orange jersey

For anyone who still wants to bitch about Nike, Glazer said that there was no time frame because they already had good uniforms so they weren't going to change unless they saw a design that was just right, and they tweaked along the way. Also,

"If we were going to take on the monumental task of refreshing our look, then we also wanted to focus on innovation and setting a new standard for professional uniforms," said Glazer. "Quite frankly, we wanted to break new ground and set our organization apart from all others. We feel confident the uniforms we revealed today meet that high standard."

So yeah - this falls 100% on the team.

Oh my god I just saw these and thought it was someones bad concept at first.

How are numbers that look like an alarm clock piratey?

I like them; the numbers aren't great, but I can live with them. I hope they come out with an orange alt soon.

Here's my concept on how to improve the uniforms they released today:

3868_tampa_bay_buccaneers-home-2012.png

I reduced the logo size by about 150% because the new one is just ridiculously big. I also simplified the logo because the new one is far too detailed, sterile, and lifeless. I got rid of that ugly yoke and put a more minimalist pirate ship logo on the sleeves. Then I made the pants use a stripe that matches the numbers and I went back to block font. The result is a look that solves all the problems created by the uniform that was introduced this morning.

Does anybody know if they redid the workmark? And would Colorexe happen to have the logo sheet yet?

Yep:

buccaneers_wordmark_full.png

1050.gif

Anybody else's eyes drawn to the negative space inside the CC and EE?

Here's my concept on how to improve the uniforms they released today:

3868_tampa_bay_buccaneers-home-2012.png

I reduced the logo size by about 150% because the new one is just ridiculously big. I also simplified the logo because the new one is far too detailed, sterile, and lifeless. I got rid of that ugly yoke and put a more minimalist pirate ship logo on the sleeves. Then I made the pants use a stripe that matches the numbers and I went back to block font. The result is a look that solves all the problems created by the uniform that was introduced this morning.

Ok I am not a fan of the new unis quite obviously, nevrtheless I am glad the team tried. I agree that as far as jerseys go the old ones were superior but it was time for an update. Never liked the black stripe on the old unis and I'm glad its gone. I like the new shade of pewter and the logo. Hell I even like the Chrome mask and the wordmark. The only two things I really cant stand are the pewter shoulders and the numbers. The team needed an update. I know nothing was exactly "wrong" with the old uniform but its refreshing to see teams that try and modernize their look. This blog would be dead if teams didn't update their appearence. I know the bucs won a superbowl in this set but you could tell it was a 90s set. It was time. Though the jerseys are definately subpar, I really think the helmet and logo are keepers. Maybe in a few years they can clean it up..

Looking back the jerseys were a bit plain.

The thing with the old design is that it's something that can withstand time. When you design a logo, it's something that ideally is lasting for decades at a time. This one wouldn't be as bad, if it wasn't for how modern it looked describing a team who's name implies an antiquarian form of piracy. I mean, if you look at the two side by side, the old flag likely means by a 60/40 margin.

I also hope this isn't going to start a trend of oversized logos on helmets, which just look ill-placed and unnecessary.

I don't have it off-hand, but I came across a compressed version of the standard MLB font, and I just realized it actually would have looked okay on these jerseys, since they have the same overall thinness as these numbers, yet still retain the classic block look.

For anyone who still wants to bitch about Nike, Glazer said that there was no time frame because they already had good uniforms so they weren't going to change unless they saw a design that was just right, and they tweaked along the way. Also,

"If we were going to take on the monumental task of refreshing our look, then we also wanted to focus on innovation and setting a new standard for professional uniforms," said Glazer. "Quite frankly, we wanted to break new ground and set our organization apart from all others. We feel confident the uniforms we revealed today meet that high standard."

So yeah - this falls 100% on the team.

It's on Nike's designers for failing to be the adults in the room.

So ugly and unnecessary. Their old uniforms were perfect and did not need to be changed at all, not even small tweaks. The helmet logo is way too big.

I actually think the new alternate logo is a solid upgrade over the old one.

Every other change is a massive downgrade. Total clown suits.

Read an article earlier that said the Bucs are hoping the league will reverse its one helmet rule so they can still wear their throwbacks. My bet would be that they have an orange version of this jersey available in case the league stands firm.

I seriously doubt the NFL will change their stance on this. For legal purposes, they are doing everything they can to avoid lawsuits in this "concussion overkill" era of football. It may not mean anything or help anything, but the one helmet rule is one way to cover your behind. And I'd guess the NCAA will follow suit very soon with a similar mandate for their teams.

The Glazers know the NFL isn't going to bend on their rule and so that quote was more PR spin then anything else. My guess is the orange alt is a part of the set and the throwbacks are done for good.

The orange alternate and added orange elements to the entire uniform, is an attempt to link the past era with the modern era. They can trot out the orange alt 1 or 2 times a year and say that is their nod to the 1970's Bucs and do it while wearing the current garb and colors. Its actually pretty savvy work by them. Plus orange and pewter is a unique combo. The Bucs want to be unique. That's a way to do it.

And really, we've seen enough of the throwbacks already. It was a miserable era of Bucs football. Nothing much to celebrate with it. We've seen it on the field a few times now in recent years. That's enough. Nobody under the age of 35 cares about the creamsicle days anyway. Lets move on.

OK - here we go...(thought I'd already done this):

TampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_1979_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_1996_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2000_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2011_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2013_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_9999_SC

Yes, I know they are now referring to the current Orange as "Bay Orange"...haven't had a chance to regenerate that swatch yet...

They sure LOOK like 6 different shades of orange.....