Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getting New Logo, Helmet & Uniforms

TampaBayRays

Well, gotta say - I might be in the minority of the minority, but I really like the new uniforms, including the alarm clock font, and the glow in the dark trim on the numbers. Eh, so label me eclectic. To quote a guy named Mario Rizotti (an Iron Chef America judge): "I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like." B)

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're starting to grow on me (but don't get me wrong... still awful). Everything except for the stencil/alarm clock effect on the numbers is tolerable. Without those I don't think the numbers would be bad. Unfortunately, as it is... they are bad.

I thought the previous uniforms were overrated so while it's a downgrade, it's not as big as others make it out to be. The logo is a significant downgrade, though. It's too... smooth.

IUe6Hvh.png

The numbers are just so.. so... bad. I was ok with the helmets for the most part, just because that's kind of the way helmet design is going and I was happy it wasn't a gradient, but these unis are rec league, XFL-level garbage. Two years of research went into this? Were the focus group members blind?

I'm not even a Bucs fan and I'm actually more angry about this than I should be. Maybe because between this and Jacksonville, this is the beginning of terrible, poorly-executed sports rebranding.

Stay away from my Niners!

mainescarf.png

Just a 2 minute mock up changing the numbers to first block font I could find to prove how big of a difference the numbers have made to what is otherwise a pretty good design IMO.

A29eo7M.png

I think this looks way MORE arena than the actual unveil.

OK - here we go...(thought I'd already done this):

TampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_1979_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_1996_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2000_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2011_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_2013_SCTampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_Orange01a_9999_SC

Yes, I know they are now referring to the current Orange as "Bay Orange"...haven't had a chance to regenerate that swatch yet...

They sure LOOK like 6 different shades of orange.....

Current Orange = 1980-1996 Orange.

Which also = U. of Tennessee Volunteers' Orange.

I still can't decide... do I like the 4 because it doesn't have the slash marks, or hate it because it doesn't match the other numbers? I don't even think the base font itself is terrible, but the slashes are godawful space pirate crap that ruin the whole uniform.

temp43589_230875_AT_SP14_TBB_Team_Unifor

Mildly surprised that more people haven't commented on the similarity between the NOBs and Star Trek's font. Between it and the numbers, Doug Martin could be playing for Starfleet Academy's rollerball* team. :D

uovlzr2s5qhzaxxyo9mu.jpg

* For the young 'uns, Rollerball was a 1975 film depicting a futuristic game that looked like roller derby, basketball, football, and motocross (note #11 on motorcycle) had a 4-way love child. Their unis also featured really bad number fonts.

Rollerball2.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well, gotta say - I might be in the minority of the minority, but I really like the new uniforms, including the alarm clock font, and the glow in the dark trim on the numbers. Eh, so label me eclectic. To quote a guy named Mario Rizotti (an Iron Chef America judge): "I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like." B)

I'm a fan of the font as well.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

I honestly think that the number typeface could have been at least mostly saved if the chrome part of the red numbers was a reflective version of the orange. Just swap the silver and the orange on those, which follows nicely with the hierarchy elsewhere on this same uniform, instead of simply filling white with red, and suddenly those numbers look much nicer.

I think it's funny when people say something already looks "dated". Well, wouldn't that "dated" look also apply to the Broncos, Falcons, Rams, and Cardinals? Yet all 4 teams have kept that look for many years now. I don't love the Bucs new look, but I also don't hate it. To me, the Captain of a pirate ship is always dressed in "look at me" clothes. I think the new look somehow does that. After seeing this drastic change to the Bucs uniforms, I'm very curious to see what is planned for the Browns and their traditional look.

is it just me or is that two different shades of pewter on the jerseys...

It's not just you, but it is just the lighting. Look at the difference in the red between the two photos and you'll see what I mean.

Archived