Milwaukee Bavarians FC (UPDATED 2/20)

illwauk

There's a grass roots effort underway to bring professional outdoor soccer back to Milwaukee. The other day, a branding discussion came up on the facebook page. While some fans want the team's identuy to focus on Wisconsin, the Milwaukee Bavarians brand has proven to be quite popular with soccer fans in and outside of the Milwaukee area (for those who don't know, the Bavarians are one of the top amatuer clubs in the US and were actually founded by Bavarian immigrants in 1929). This badge was my attempt at updating the Bravarians crest into something that could be used by a professional team, but also tries to incorporate the state into the brand.

bavarians_badge_sm_zps745a5951.png

I based the badge on a triangle to symbolize the city's beginnings as the towns of Juneautown, Kilbourntown, and Walker's Point coming together to form Milwaukee, which now roughly coincide with the city's three main sides: the Eastside, Northside, and Southside (hence the placement of the angles at "east" "north" and "south.") The placement also forms the head of an arrow pointing "Forward," the Wisconsin state motto.

The rest of the crest is pretty self-explanitory. I used the Baravian lozenges not unlike Bayern Munich, and a germanic-style font.

C&C?

Hm, I'm not sure this works. The bold triangle shape reduces the amount of the pattern you can see, making black very dominant. I'm also not a fan of the font.

The blue you chose is quite nice, though; it really should play a bigger part.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hm, I'm not sure this works. The bold triangle shape reduces the amount of the pattern you can see, making black very dominant. I'm also not a fan of the font.

The blue you chose is quite nice, though; it really should play a bigger part.

I disagree, I do like the font, but you're right about the shape.

Other than that, I do like it.

I decided to keep the triangle because of all the local tie-ins, but I emphasized blue, included more lozenges in the middle, and went with a cleaner art deco font which I thought was still appropriate given the club's 1920s origins.

bavarians_v2_sm_zpsd86a9124.png

Crazy idea: what happens if you remove the black outline on the inside of the triangle? Not recolor it, but actually remove it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived