2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I may be one of the only ones, but I so much prefer the bullpen in foul territory than beyond the outfield walls, myself.

I don't have a problem with them at Wrigley, given its age and size. But they just seem like an injury waiting to happen at newer stadiums.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No-one talking about the Jays? This winning streak is getting ridiculous.

I wouldn't call eight in a row "ridiculous", but yeah, sweeping the defending champs and the best team in baseball consecutively definitely feels nice.

Unfortunately, I've missed being able to watch most of the games this year. I don't remember the last time I watched this few Jays games in the spring. Oh well.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

No-one talking about the Jays? This winning streak is getting ridiculous.

I wouldn't call eight in a row "ridiculous", but yeah, sweeping the defending champs and the best team in baseball consecutively definitely feels nice.

Unfortunately, I've missed being able to watch most of the games this year. I don't remember the last time I watched this few Jays games in the spring. Oh well.

I watched two straight Jays games for the first time all season. But, they were two damn great games.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

The worst game I've ever seen live.

854718818.gif

Any runner is out when —

(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runners baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;

To my unbiased eye (assuming he was called safe), this play goes along with the spirit and intent of the rule.

He might not have been able to be in a position to interfere with the fielder making a play on the ball (I'd need to see the whole video to see if the runner slowed at all, as well as another angle or two). However (and if I'm reading the rule correctly), the runner has to make a bee-line to the base once the fielder makes a tag attempt, right? I'm not seeing a tag attempt until the base-runner and Beltre are racing towards the bag. Maybe a tag attempt just before that, but the runner is already at Beltre's left and is going straight towards the base when that possible tag attempt is made.

It's just a great athletic play. I'd rather baseball fans be rewarded with that over the rulebook geeks that have nothing else better to do than complain over a great athletic play in a sport that could use more athleticism.

So MLB's "pizza for a no-hitter" promotion in lieu of Beckett's no-no was nothing short of a complete disaster for the league and Domino's.

http://deadspin.com/baseball-fans-want-their-free-pizzas-damn-it-1582226719

T8sw2kl.png

And St. Louis fans wonder why they're highly despised around the baseball world.

Also, note the Wrigley anniversary patch this guy has.

St. Louis fans are highly despised around baseball?

And how!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm gonna try to find my best to find a video. But Bartolo Colon began a new tradition vs the Pirates today where he carried the bat with him when he ran to first base. To say its awesome is an understandment. His at-bats are one of the few bright moments the Mets have this season.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Interesting. Here are the NL voting leaders for the 2014 All Star Game. There are some surprises, especially the amount of Rockies that are on top of the ballot.

C

1. Yadier Molina, Cardinals: 640,464
2. Buster Posey, Giants: 421,100
3. Evan Gattis, Braves: 241,005

1B

1. Adrian Gonzalez, Dodgers: 349,762
2. Freddie Freeman, Braves: 308,961
3. Justin Morneau, Rockies: 305,327

2B

1. Chase Utley, Phillies: 509,390
2. Dee Gordon, Dodgers: 304,258
3. Brandon Phillips, Reds: 187,067

SS

1. Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies: 745,823
2. Brandon Crawford, Giants: 218,123
3. Andrelton Simmons, Braves: 207,402

3B

1. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: 318,111
2. Aramis Ramirez, Brewers: 282,843
3. David Wright, Mets: 278,840

OF

1. Charlie Blackmon, Rockies: 549,394
2. Andrew McCutchen, Pirates: 467,378
3. Ryan Braun, Brewers: 446,780
4. Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins: 426,228
5. Yasiel Puig, Dodgers: 383,384
6. Carlos Gomez, Brewers: 370,630

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

It's just a great athletic play. I'd rather baseball fans be rewarded with that over the rulebook geeks that have nothing else better to do than complain over a great athletic play in a sport that could use more athleticism.

Yeah, man. Great point. Rules are for geeks.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

So now "great athletic play" should overrule everything? Ok. So if a guy makes a spectacular attempt to catch a home run ball over the fence but just comes up short, it's ruled a catch because it was a "great athletic play"? Or if someone makes a difficult shot attempt that just barely hits off the rim and out, should now be given the basket because it was a "great athletic play"?

If you guys porked as many chicks per night as Hedley does, you'd understand. Friggin' geeks.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Apparently you guys missed the part where I mentioned that the play follows the spirit and intent of the rule, and that the runner should be called safe.

His revised route to the base isn't any farther away from the direct line between bases as a runner that's running 2nd-to-home, 1st-to-3rd, or home-to-2nd.

Don't be retarded by making up idiotic scenarios involving almost-made shots counting or almost-caught balls taking homeruns off the board.

And yes, I should carry a clicker.....

Another two dingers for EE. Guy is devouring souls.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Apparently you guys missed the part where I mentioned that the play follows the spirit and intent of the rule, and that the runner should be called safe.

His revised route to the base isn't any farther away from the direct line between bases as a runner that's running 2nd-to-home, 1st-to-3rd, or home-to-2nd.

Don't be retarded by making up idiotic scenarios involving almost-made shots counting or almost-caught balls taking homeruns off the board.

Nope. He had already established his direct path to the base and deviated from the path more than three feet. He should be out. Plain and simple.

Nope. He had already established his direct path to the base and deviated from the path more than three feet. He should be out. Plain and simple.

(a) (1) He runs more than three feet away from his baseline to avoid being tagged unless his action is to avoid interference with a fielder fielding a batted ball. A runners baseline is established when the tag attempt occurs and is a straight line from the runner to the base he is attempting to reach safely;

Red: As you can see, there's a caveat, and this is where the umpire's judgement comes into play (and I'm not sure of determining if a runner is in or out of the basepath is reviewable). It's easily defendable that the runner is doing just that....he darts to the right before the fielder fields the ball. One slow-motion replay isn't enough to determine how far apart the fielder and runner are, how fast the runner is going, etc.

Blue: Now this is the easy part of the entire equation. It's pretty clear-cut that there's no tag attempt until the runner and fielder are racing towards the base. Maybe a slight one when the runner is to the fielder's left. Either way, the runner is making a direct line to the base (and at that point, that's when the three-feet rule is back in play) once the fielder makes an attempt at a tag.

Archived