2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a general MLB thread. In terms of asethetics, it's known around here that I prefer things that are fun and dynamic. If you want to discuss more you know where to reach me.

Back to actual baseball discussion, the Mariners are 42-28 against teams .500+ and just 33-35 against teams under .500, they need to improve that mark against the Rangers and Astros coming up.

Well, that might explain things. Also, just so we're clear...if by "modern" you mean generic and stale, and the personification of 1990s blandness, okay.

BjR-7DdIUAEgUIf.png

The '90s weren't bland at all in sports. Even in baseball, teams embraced new, brighter colors. The Marlins debuted with freaking aqua. The Diamondbacks, Devil Rays and Rockies all used purple. Houston used metallic gold. Arizona and Seattle used teal. But they used those colors in respectable manners and stayed away from the clown suits you so desire. The last decade may have been a bland one in sports, but the '90s wasn't at all.

And once again, the trident is a horrible logo. You don't need an "M" to represent the team. Initials are supposed to rep the city. And the star is completely meaningless. Nobody but you likes that set, and it represents a time when the Mariners were horrible and playing in a nearly-empty warehouse. It's not cute, it's not clever, it's not even aesthetically pleasing. The colors are nice, but seeing as everything worthwhile for the franchise happened in the current uniforms, they are wise to keep them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, that might explain things. Also, just so we're clear...if by "modern" you mean generic and stale, and the personification of 1990s blandness, okay.

BjR-7DdIUAEgUIf.png

The '90s weren't bland at all in sports. Even in baseball, teams embraced new, brighter colors. The Marlins debuted with freaking aqua. The Diamondbacks, Devil Rays and Rockies all used purple. Houston used metallic gold. Arizona and Seattle used teal. But they used those colors in respectable manners and stayed away from the clown suits you so desire. The last decade may have been a bland one in sports, but the '90s wasn't at all.

And once again, the trident is a horrible logo. You don't need an "M" to represent the team. Initials are supposed to rep the city. And the star is completely meaningless. Nobody but you likes that set, and it represents a time when the Mariners were horrible and playing in a nearly-empty warehouse. It's not cute, it's not clever, it's not even aesthetically pleasing. The colors are nice, but seeing as everything worthwhile for the franchise happened in the current uniforms, they are wise to keep them.

8644-16Fr.jpg

The Angels went Disney

BjR-7DdIUAEgUIf.png

plus upside down tridents are bad luck and the Mariners had 0 winning seasons wearing that logo.

They had 1 winning season total (an 83-79 campaign in 1991 while wearing the plain S hats) in blue and yellow and the team was constantly on the verge of moving. It wasn't good times for Seattle baseball in that era. I don't understand some people's desire to see it return other than innate Seattle hipster desire to love things that are bad. "I liked Seattle baseball before Griffey came and they went mainstream".

What's probably going on is nostalgia-blind glasses and the last decade of uneventful baseball has poisoned a lot of Seattleites on the beautiful navy and teal. They've been wearing their current logo and uniforms longer than they ever wore blue and yellow and it's a much more striking, elegant, fitting look for Seattle than the first few uniforms were.

But good luck changing to a blue and yellow color scheme in this town when it's become a defacto rule that Seattle sports teams have to wear some form of blue and some form of green.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So we're going to move away from the uniform talk because this particular topic has the potential to get rather ugly rather quickly.

There's an entire thread dedicated to MLB uniforms in the Sports Logos subforum. Keep that discussion there.

So the Nationals came out on top of a wild 14-inning game against the Dodgers yesterday. Adam LaRoche's 5 RBI night was the second time in MLB history that a player recorded 5 RBI after entering the game in the 9th inning or later.

I love this team.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

The Jays won a series in Tampa.

The Jays WON a series in Tampa.

Last time this happened, they were still called the "Devil Rays". And they play in the same division.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Jays WON a series in Tampa.

Last time this happened, they were still called the "Devil Rays". And they play in the same division.

How can the Jays win a series in Tampa?

AB89BCB4-27AA-4E16-916A-9F396D3C52FB_zps

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Some Brewers fans want manager Ron Roenicke to be fired if the Brewers choke in September. I don't know if it would happen.

*insert obligatory "we'll see" comment here*

Seriously, though, I think we're really beating a dead horse with these crownking imitations.

Getting back to baseball, as much as I enjoyed seeing the Cubs beat up on the Brewers (well, more like the Brewers beat up on themselves; they were comically bad to say the least), all the Brewers being swept did was open the door for the damn Cardinals. And of course Cards gonna Card, so they went ahead and swept the Pirates to distance themselves from both the Brewers and Bucs and park themselves firmly in first place.

In true Cubs fashion, the Pirates will probably lose two out of three at Wrigley, the Brewers will continue to spiral out of control, and the Cardinals will have a large lead on the rest of the NL Central by the end of the weekend.

25yzwqg.png

Some Brewers fans want manager Ron Roenicke to be fired if the Brewers choke in September. I don't know if it would happen.

*insert obligatory "we'll see" comment here*

Seriously, though, I think we're really beating a dead horse with these crownking imitations.

Getting back to baseball, as much as I enjoyed seeing the Cubs beat up on the Brewers (well, more like the Brewers beat up on themselves; they were comically bad to say the least), all the Brewers being swept did was open the door for the damn Cardinals. And of course Cards gonna Card, so they went ahead and swept the Pirates to distance themselves from both the Brewers and Bucs and park themselves firmly in first place.

In true Cubs fashion, the Pirates will probably lose two out of three at Wrigley, the Brewers will continue to spiral out of control, and the Cardinals will have a large lead on the rest of the NL Central by the end of the weekend.

False. The Cardinals only win because of their hardiness, grit, determination, and ability to play baseball the right way. The Cardinals way.

Edit: Also their playoff victories will cure Ferguson and help rebuild, or some nonsense.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived