2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

I don't think you're standing by anything. Admit you had a brainfart and forgot what unearned runs are.

Hell, while I'm at it, I'll also admit I suck at displaying proper and funny sarcasm (at least not at admiral/CS85 levels).

tumblr_inline_nav77y8iqu1r2c05t.gif

Admiral is the undoubted sarchampion around here. It pleases me to be even co-mentioned. That wasn't sarcasm, also.

Also, in general, does anyone else feel like the MLB regular season should've ended a few weeks ago? Yet there's still a month to play? What? By the time the World Series comes around I'm going to be giving myself IVs of NBA and NFL highlights just to distract myself from the fact that a light, summer game is still going on for some reason.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, in general, does anyone else feel like the MLB regular season should've ended a few weeks ago? Yet there's still a month to play? What? By the time the World Series comes around I'm going to be giving myself IVs of NBA and NFL highlights just to distract myself from the fact that a light, summer game is still going on for some reason.

Kinda. It's obviously much different if your team is in a pennant race. This September I seem more removed from baseball than in past ones, even though I am watching far more of the Sox than I did last September, as there are a few promising young players. Still, I'm not as into the Pirates, Mariners and Royals of the world as I would have been in previous years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Kinda. It's obviously much different if your team is in a pennant race. This September I seem more removed from baseball than in past ones, even though I am watching far more of the Sox than I did last September, as there are a few promising young players. Still, I'm not as into the Pirates, Mariners and Royals of the world as I would have been in previous years.

I've always felt that baseball drags on too long. When you're team's out of it that last 6 weeks is a CRAWL and I haven't watched a Reds game in a fortnight. When you're team is in the race you just want to fast forward and get going with the playoffs.

Going back to 154 games would help a little bit, but losing any more games and you've damaged the spirit of the long haul baseball season. So I like that it's a long grinding 162 battle, but September baseball has always been my least favorite part of the season (save the last few days when there's fun down-to-the-wire playoff implications, or at least there used to be).

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've always felt that baseball drags on too long. When you're team's out of it that last 6 weeks is a CRAWL and I haven't watched a Reds game in a fortnight. When you're team is in the race you just want to fast forward and get going with the playoffs.

Going back to 154 games would help a little bit, but losing any more games and you've damaged the spirit of the long haul baseball season. So I like that it's a long grinding 162 battle, but September baseball has always been my least favorite part of the season (save the last few days when there's fun down-to-the-wire playoff implications, or at least there used to be).

I'd like the 154 game schedule. If I am not mistaken, 162 was for schedule balance based on the number of teams expanded to in 1961. Well by now 162 is not that meaningful for these purposes. Knocking 8 games off the schedule (and keeping it at a number of historic significance) would be of some value. Throw in a few double-headers (obviously of the day / night variety in this day an age) and you can trim 10-14 days off of the end of the season which could come in handy when northern teams in open air ballparks make a run (a non-issue in Minnesota)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

What's happening in the AL West? Not that I don't like it with the Angels in first, but Oakland has imploded. Now 8 games behind the Angels and only a game and a half away from not being a WC team.

Oh, I love it.

And if Oakland fell out of the playoffs? The hilarity! C'mon Seattle. C'mon Detroit.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

What's happening in the AL West? Not that I don't like it with the Angels in first, but Oakland has imploded. Now 8 games behind the Angels and only a game and a half away from not being a WC team.

I kind of like Billy Bean being put in his place. I actually think the A's are going to miss the playoffs entirely. The Angels winning the West is a foregone conclusion. Detroit wins the Central with the Royals & Mariners as the Wild Cards.

I don't know why people still say "pennant race." Maybe it's just cuz it sounds cool and evokes a bygone era, but there is no pennant race anymore. The pennant isn't decided until the LCS round! All teams are racing for now is a playoff spot. I guess "Second Wild Card race" doesn't have the same ring to it.

I went to the Tigers game yesterday, and I've gotta say, Verlander's lucky that the Tigers' bats in the lineup were hot. He gave up four runs, but Cabrera and co. were able to crush the Royals, 9-5. On a side note, Joe Nathan got a positive reaction from my fellow Tigers fans when he came out to pitch the 9th, even though he did this a month ago (I know, its been awhile, but I still haven't completely forgiven him): nathanflick.gif?w=1000

Also of note is that the win last night was number 9,000 in franchise history for the Tigers.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I kind of like Billy Bean being put in his place. I actually think the A's are going to miss the playoffs entirely. The Angels winning the West is a foregone conclusion. Detroit wins the Central with the Royals & Mariners as the Wild Cards.
Billy Beane and Billy Bean are two different people.

I don't know why people still say "pennant race." Maybe it's just cuz it sounds cool and evokes a bygone era, but there is no pennant race anymore. The pennant isn't decided until the LCS round! All teams are racing for now is a playoff spot. I guess "Second Wild Card race" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Well you can think of it as winning your division is winning the "division pennant", but like you said, it's mostly for nostalgia purposes. Plus I like to think of it still as a pennant race. As you still have to make the playoffs in order to win the pennant. Like the Sprint Cup, where you have to make the 10 or 12 (?) top spots for the last 10 races or so to have a shot at winning the cup.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

You knew who he was talking about didnt you?

Of course, just making the clarification so the error won't be repeated in the future.

I went to the Tigers game yesterday, and I've gotta say, Verlander's lucky that the Tigers' bats in the lineup were hot. He gave up four runs, but Cabrera and co. were able to crush the Royals, 9-5. On a side note, Joe Nathan got a positive reaction from my fellow Tigers fans when he came out to pitch the 9th, even though he did this a month ago (I know, its been awhile, but I still haven't completely forgiven him): nathanflick.gif?w=1000

Also of note is that the win last night was number 9,000 in franchise history for the Tigers.

Who was he gesturing to?

What's the story behind this?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Looks like either the road dugout or someone in the stands over there. Was thinking the crowd in general, but it's a home game which doesn't make much sense. Unless fans were pissed at him or something. I really don't follow that upstart junior circuit :P

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Who was he gesturing to?

What's the story behind this?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2014%2F08%2Fjoe-nathan-detroit-tigers-chin-flick-gesture&ei=eIUPVO3YDNKTyATi74GYDA&usg=AFQjCNFAu-CoBGruX6bv23lEIEp3dgHtMQ&sig2=8v8OOPoR1irZiaDChhEYTg&bvm=bv.74649129,d.aWw

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Oh, I love it.

And if Oakland fell out of the playoffs? The hilarity! C'mon Seattle. C'mon Detroit.

You'd rather see the Tigers in the postseason than the Athletics? Eww. At least it'll be refreshing to see Oakland play for the American League pennant (if they can ever get past the dreaded Division Series). Detroit will just run the table on the American League, then go all half-a## in the World Series, pissing off just about every baseball fan in general. Nope.

The Royals, Orioles, Angels, Athletics and Mariners would provide a sizzling American League bracket if this were to occur.

Of course, just making the clarification so the error won't be repeated in the future.
Sorry professor! Are you and crownking one in the same?

A thank you would have sufficed.

Billy Beane - Oakland A's GM

Billy Bean - Came out following playing career and named MLB's first 'Ambassador for Inclusion'.

A thank you would have sufficed.

Billy Beane - Oakland A's GM

Billy Bean - Came out following playing career and named MLB's first 'Ambassador for Inclusion'.

I know the difference between the two and I'm pretty sure everyone in the universe knew who I was referring to.

Archived