TTC - Team Tennis Championship (Montreal added)

nas1787

Team Tennis Championship

Rl6fLd2.jpg

15 clubs. 14 countries. 5 continents. 1 champion.

The TTC is an international club competition featuring tennis teams based in 15 of the world’s greatest cities. Clubs compete for the Arthur Ashe Cup.

The Teams

15 teams from around the world compete in one single table. Each team consists of 6 players, 3 men and 3 women. Only 4 players, 2 men and 2 women, play in a series, with a player only allowed to be substituted due to injury. The 4 starters must be named the Wednesday prior to a series taking place.

The Competition

Each team plays 14 series in a season. A series consists of 5 tennis matches, each of a different type. There is one match each of mens singles, womens singles, mens doubles, womens doubles and mixed doubles. Each player competes in two of these matches (e.g. one male player plays in the men’s singles match and the men’s doubles match, while the other plays in the men’s doubles match and the mixed doubles match). A series takes place over the course of a weekend, with the mixed doubles match taking place on Friday evening, the men’s and women’s doubles on Saturday, and men’ and women’s singles on Sunday. A team wins the series by winning 3 or more of the matches.

The Points System

2 points are awarded for each match win, with 0 points awarded to the loser. The table is decided by total number of points, so every match is played regardless of the series score. Even if a team is down 4 matches to 0, the final match is played as two points are still on the line. Therefore a team can obtain between 0 and 10 points in a weekend series, in increments of 2. The losing team can never obtain more than 4 points in a series.

Upon completion of the 14 game schedule, the teams with the top 6 point totals enter the playoffs to compete for the Arthur Ashe Cup. The top two seeds receive byes to the semifinals, while seeds 3 and 6 and 4 and 5 compete in a weekend series (with the higher seed hosting). The winners move on to face the top two seeds in another weekend series, while the winners of those series meet in the Grand Final, a weekend series held at a neutral location. The winner of that series receives the Arthur Ashe Cup.

The Venues

Matches will be played in indoor arenas on hard surface tennis courts. This is to ensure that weather does not delay matches and no one gains an unfair advantage from playing at home on clay or grass courts. Clubs are required to have an arena with a minimum capacity of 10 000 and a sizeable number of luxury boxes.

The Uniforms

For its inaugural season, Wilson Sporting Goods are the exclusive manufacturer of team tennis club wear. They will offer one set of uniforms for each club with various options available for the players to choose from so each can play in that which is most comfortable for them.

No names or numbers will appear on the tennis wear, but club logos and branding will. There is no requirement for teams to differentiate their look from one another during a series (therefore there will be no home and road uniforms).

A few notes:

There is currently one professional team tennis league that I know of, that is based in the United States. My feeling around tennis (which could be completely wrong) is that is an upper class sport, and a team tennis league should cater to those fans and their sensibilities. I don’t believe the Boston Lobsters or Las Vegas Neon of WTT are doing this. In this series I will borrow more from the world of luxury goods and corporate branding as I create a league which is full of international glitz and glamour.

Below are the map of club locations. I have decided upon some names, but feel free to offer suggestions. Keep in mind the feel I am going for in this league when recommending names. Naming conventions will vary, with some clubs not having any official nicknames, while others will. Teams will often employ the moniker TTC (Team Tennis Club) in their name (e.g. London TTC) though this isn’t required. Preferably teams will have names that are in the language native to that city/area. Apologies in advance if any translations are incorrect.

I have only just begun the club identities for this series, and it will likely be a slow process. But hopefully you are intrigued and will follow along. I will update this first post pointing to the various concepts throughout the thread.

bWUAUqO.jpg

I am planning on an assortment of names. Some will just be [city name] Team Tennis Club, others will have American style nicknames. Plus some other things like city nicknames and teams that don't use the city name at all. Expect that the location of teams will play a part in how they are named (e.g. American style names for NA clubs, Euro style names for Euro clubs).

Ideas are welcome, I have one club almost complete and hope to have it posted today.

L0xCmEl.jpg

3tnyEjA.jpg

I wanted to incorporate the senyera in some way (flag of Catalonia, independence symbol for the region) but wanted to keep it from being too tacky. So I used the red and yellow colours but darkened both significantly, and just used three horizontal lines to reference the senyera. Let me know what you think of the identity, as well as the presentation.

A note on capacities: I usually took the basketball capacity of an arena as the capacity for tennis, as I imagine they would be similar.

Long time reader and i saw this topic so mode a account to tell you that this si a amazing idea!

For the league logo, i think its perfect make no changes

For Barcelona, awesome! One thing is that Toros En Barcelona means Toros in Barcelona. Was that what you meant?

I will follow this closely nas!

As mentioned in the first post, all home venues will be indoor arenas with hard surface courts. As Wimbledon is outdoors and grass, it won't be used for London (however cool that would be).

After looking into the senyera a bit more it appears Johnny is right, 4 red stripes always appear. Here's an update to Barcelona with this as well as the name change. Should have another club ready today or tomorrow.

Toros de Barcelona

WhMRPhp.jpg

qkEFOyE.jpg

Amsterdam Team Tennisclub

mQntDGO.jpg

3P3tbSa.jpg

One thing I've been trying to avoid is making each club look like a national team. That being said, I really wanted to use orange for Amsterdam. So I just decided to use it as sparingly as possible, with black the main focus.

The logo is based on the XXX of the Amsterdam flag and shield, connected into a ribbon-like shape. I used it as a band across the headwear, but felt that it would be too much to also use it on the main uniforms, so instead I just used more subtle lines extending out form the logo.

This is the first case of a team without an official nickname, rather they are just Amsterdam Team Tennis Club (which as far as I can determine, Tennis Club becomes Tennisclub in Dutch).

Let me know what you think, and if you have any preferences as to which city you'd like to see next.

Archived