"Enhancing" (new nike trend) the Broncos ghost horse logo, rough draft

TheSoundofThrowingPennies

Why is the mane cut off on the left?

it's not supposed to be. my gimp has been acting up. For some reason, when I exported the image, the canvas shrunk

It's obviously missing the blue... this isn't exactly the way to go with the broncos logo... notice how with the Buccaneers logo it still mantains color while "enhancing" the logo itself. All you did was remove color. Nothing more.

That's the point. The blue made it clunky, this light gray makes it look like shadow of the horse's features, and to me portrays the strength of the horse moreso than the navy did. On a navy helmet, I don't think anyone will miss the navy.

it's not supposed to be. my gimp has been acting up. For some reason, when I exported the image, the canvas shrunk

It's obviously missing the blue... this isn't exactly the way to go with the broncos logo... notice how with the Buccaneers logo it still mantains color while "enhancing" the logo itself. All you did was remove color. Nothing more.

That's the point. The blue made it clunky, this light gray makes it look like shadow of the horse's features, and to me portrays the strength of the horse moreso than the navy did. On a navy helmet, I don't think anyone will miss the navy.

No elements of this logo are sharpened, enhanced, or made better.

Your BS marketing, lack of creativity, and excuses over something as simple as making sure you didn't present us a cut off image... More Russell than Nike.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I still think all you did was remove color and outline the horse head... it needs another color... maybe replace the blue, or in your case, the gray with black or some dark color... anything but gray... it looks empty IMO... and make the mane a little sleeker. Not too much

Your BS marketing, lack of creativity, and excuses over something as simple as making sure you didn't present us a cut off image... More Russell than Nike.

Did I :censored: your wife or kill your dog or something? Seriously dude wth is your problem with me?

My gimp has been doing all kinds of weird :censored: lately. Why the hell would I make that up and not just upload a new one which takes all of three seconds if I had any control over it?

I still think all you did was remove color and outline the horse head... it needs another color... maybe replace the blue, or in your case, the gray with black or some dark color... anything but gray... it looks empty IMO... and make the mane a little sleeker. Not too much

I will play around with it, maybe even see what royal blue looks like in there, Thanks for your feedback.

That's the point. The blue made it clunky, this light gray makes it look like shadow of the horse's features, and to me portrays the strength of the horse moreso than the navy did. On a navy helmet, I don't think anyone will miss the navy.I still think all you did was remove color and outline the horse head... it needs another color... maybe replace the blue, or in your case, the gray with black or some dark color... anything but gray... it looks empty IMO... and make the mane a little sleeker. Not too much

I will play around with it, maybe even see what royal blue looks like in there, Thanks for your feedback.

play around whith a dark purple too and see how that works out

Did I :censored: your wife or kill your dog or something? Seriously dude wth is your problem with me?

My gimp has been doing all kinds of weird :censored: lately. Why the hell would I make that up and not just upload a new one which takes all of three seconds if I had any control over it?

Okay let's try this way. All you did here was take out the navy and thin the keyline. Neither of those two changes do anything to make the logo better. It is change for the sake of change.

I admit my last post was borderline. My problem with you, though, is that you have yet to give us a concept that is any better. Focusing on this one, the one defining characteristic (navy) is gone. Now it's a mostly-white blob. At least the new Tampa logo changed the shape a little; this is only a recolor.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Okay let's try this way. All you did here was take out the navy and thin the keyline. Neither of those two changes do anything to make the logo better. It is change for the sake of change.

I admit my last post was borderline. My problem with you, though, is that you have yet to give us a concept that is any better. Focusing on this one, the one defining characteristic (navy) is gone. Now it's a mostly-white blob. At least the new Tampa logo changed the shape a little; this is only a recolor.

Ok. I understand all of that, but it's not finished yet. That's why rough Draft is in the title. I've hit a sort of writers block. I've thought about rounding the jaw and head a bit, and getting rid of the hard angles. Less cyber Bronco, more real Bronco, you know? I'm also going to add depth to the neck and not have all the features connecting like they currently are. I just wanted some feedback on where I was too this point. Like the eye for example. Upgrade downgrade, or lateral move?

Couple of things here.

Enhance

verb (used with object), en·hanced, en·hanc·ing.

1. to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify: The candelight enhanced her beauty.

2. to raise the value or price of: Rarity enhances the worth of old coins.

Antonyms: decrease, reduce, diminish

You have not enhanced anything with this logo. One could argue that the antonyms listed above are more fitting.

This logo enhancement "trend" you speak of is actually what designers do for a living. It's not some thing that Nike has made up to sell more merch -- it's creative problem solving, which, as designers, we do by trade.

On to your concept. What was your intent here? Visibility was reduced, usability was reduced, and contrast was reduced. There's nothing new here, just an absence of several critical design elements.

Think about it this way: could it be printed in black and white? Would it work embroidered on a polo? Could you tell what it was on a helmet across the field? My answer to all of those is no, and that's why this "enhancement" is not one.

I'm assuming it's just an untrained eye more than anything, but the notion that Nike is just taking the old logo and changing a few lines and colors is misguided. For the most part, the changes have been upgrades that technically correct or improve an existing logo. There's more to these rebrands and clean ups than a few fill bucket drops and brush strokes.

I'd go back to the drawing board and approach it differently. Putting "draft" in the title doesn't excuse lack of planning or rushed execution.

I think I've got something here, much closer to a finished product than the first post, but we'll see how you all take to it.

otouOO1.png

Side by side:

aNpmx3Q.jpg

In terms of differentiating from the first image I posted, I brought back the navy, although a much less saturated version, made the head more pronounced and thinned the neck.

I see this as more degressive than enhancing. Just my opinion, but the higher arc and the thicker mane looks far less intimidating. Nike is going in another direction with these logos, not necessarily simplifying them... I'd say it makes them more modern. Cleans them up.

xOwzChW.jpg

Slow down. You just randomly made the nose navy; it looks awkward and disjointed. Take time to actually integrate navy into your logo. Make the outlines thicker, too, especially around the mane. The grey could still be darker, especially because the outline is navy. It looks bad on the helmet. The eye still looks bad, and why is everything but the stripe coming off the eye outlined?

Archived