"Enhancing" (new nike trend) the Broncos ghost horse logo, rough draft

TheSoundofThrowingPennies

Outlines are essential. The thicker, the better (in most cases). But you've deleted it. Therefore it's no enhancement. It's rather at least two steps back. It just looks unfinished and unpolished.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I'm pretty sure the point of this forum is to improve your work through criticism, I don't get why you've ignored most of the suggested improvements..... The original issues still haven't been fixed after several posts. Just trying to help out here, lots of potential not being taken advantage of.

xOwzChW.jpg

I'm pretty sure the point of this forum is to improve your work through criticism, I don't get why you've ignored most of the suggested improvements..... The original issues still haven't been fixed after several posts. Just trying to help out here, lots of potential not being taken advantage of.

Because everything everyone is suggesting are fundamentally opposite from a re-design project for the entire Broncos identity I've been working on where the scheme would be Orange, white, and silver, and navy would be relegated to a trim color if even that.

Also, I feel I need to post my reasoning behind a few design elements. Take the mane for example. The original "cyber bronco" was designed with inspiration from an Arapaho legend of an untamable ghost horse. In the legend, the horse is said to have a mane of fire. I wanted the mane to look more like flames than the current one. That's why the logo mattb6 linked to doesn't work for me. That guy made the mane look even less like fire and more like hair.

My intention was to go for not only more of a ghost horse, but more of an Arapaho influenced ghost horse. That's the reason for the shape of the eye, the arrangement of the mane, and the shadow under the eye.

Making certain shapes silver and outlined in navy was supposed to make the ghost horse more resemble Arapaho art.

Honestly for me the Broncos have one of the best logos in the league. I believe it perfectly follows the golden ratio or something like that. Anyway my point is that i think it's a really hard logo to improve on. And i don't think Nike has worked on any logos (except the Broncos logo, oddly enough). If i'm not mistaken the NFL has a creative department that develops these. Nike may have a hand in them though, i'm not sure.

Because everything everyone is suggesting are fundamentally opposite from a re-design project for the entire Broncos identity I've been working on where the scheme would be Orange, white, and silver, and navy would be relegated to a trim color if even that.

First, maybe this is the problem? Obviously you should be free to explore whatever creative avenues you like, but if everyone at every turn is telling you the basis for your concept is flawed then maybe it's time to admit the core concept could use some tweaking. Digging in deeper and saying "I'm right, everyone else just doesn't get it" isn't the way you improve when it comes to concepts.

As for your idea to change the colour scheme to orange, white, and silver with blue relegated to trim? I think that's why you had such a heated exchange with vicfurth. One of the things people tend to dislike about Nike is the trend of reducing the use of traditional team colours in the name of emphasizing black or a shade of grey. You running with that is going to be a non-starter for a lot of people. The Broncos, like it or not, are an orange and blue team and have been that for the vast majority of their history. Whatever else someone does to their look, a lot of people want to see the colours remain intact.

There's also a problem with intent. Often times it helps to tell us what you want to do. Yet your message has been a bit confusing. Here's what you said at the beginning of the thread...

Please keep in mind this project is supposed to follow the Nike trend of looking more like an illustration than a logo....Less cyber Bronco, more real Bronco, you know?

If this is your goal then you haven't really accomplished it. Your changes to the shape of the mane and the eye have made more logo-esque and less like an illustration compared to the original. It also seems like you're married to the basic shape of the current logo, which is a problem. The current logo was not designed to be an illustration of a horse's head, but rather a logo. The Jags and Bucs, the two teams who went with the "illustration" approach started from scratch. Keeping the same idea as their old logos, but redesigning everything from the bottom up in a more illustrative style. If you want to pursue this idea then your best bet is to study pictures of broncos and try to design a logo around what you see.

Thing is you also said...

Also, I feel I need to post my reasoning behind a few design elements. Take the mane for example. The original "cyber bronco" was designed with inspiration from an Arapaho legend of an untamable ghost horse. In the legend, the horse is said to have a mane of fire. I wanted the mane to look more like flames than the current one. That's why the logo mattb6 linked to doesn't work for me. That guy made the mane look even less like fire and more like hair.

My intention was to go for not only more of a ghost horse, but more of an Arapaho influenced ghost horse. That's the reason for the shape of the eye, the arrangement of the mane, and the shadow under the eye.

So first you say you want a logo that's "more like an illustration than a logo" yet you also say you want it to mimic abstract Native art. Those two styles are worlds apart.

You also claim the current Broncos logo was inspired by Arapaho art. I'm not saying it wasn't, but this is the first I've heard it was. I'm a bit unsure of that because I know the Broncos logo was sort of the final evolution of the logo NFL Properties originally proposed for the St. Louis Stallions expansion team that fell through.

Regardless, if you want to go the Arapaho route then more power to you. I would suggest studying Arapaho images of this legendary ghost horse and getting a feel for the style. I would also reconsider promoting blue to a more prominent role in place of silver. Silver and white as the two primary colours will just make the logo look like a blob from a distance. There's no reason you can't create an Arapaho ghost horse logo with blue as a defining colour. It may not be you initial vision, but trial and error to see what ideas work and what ideas don't is often a big part of this process.

Archived