Jason Collins to the Nets

TheRicSlick

I feel like if it was a PR stunt, they would have signed him for the beginning of the season. Closer to the announcement, not four months into the season when it's not a hot story anymore.

Or signed him the day that Lopez went out for the year and every sportswriter in New York started writing obituaries for their season. That would have made sense as a PR stunt.

But now? When they're managing to stay in contention for a division title?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They aren't going to make Collins jerseys until he's on contract for the rest of the season.

Teams have to order a minimum amount of merchandise from the manufacturers. That's usually a big number, too.

Until there's enough of a demand to order them, the only Collins jerseys you'll see are the ones custom-made.

Or signed him the day that Lopez went out for the year and every sportswriter in New York started writing obituaries for their season. That would have made sense as a PR stunt.

But now? When they're managing to stay in contention for a division title?

Lopez going down is the only reason their season got on track.

On topic, probably a PR stunt (classic Prokhorov), but Jason Collins is a guy who's pretty much made his living boxing out, and the amount of guys in the league willing/able to put a special effort into that has been steadily decreasing for a while. It's not like he's a 35 year old ex-high flyer they're signing.

Not like there's a big gay watching basketball community anyway. What jersey sales? :lol:

Jokes aside, good for the Nets, good for Collins, good for the NBA. With that in mind, ESPN needs to stop reporting this hours on end and discussing this. He's an average role player getting signed to a 10-day contract, stop reporting his sexuality like ENews.

Not like there's a big gay watching basketball community anyway. What jersey sales? :lol:

Jokes aside, good for the Nets, good for Collins, good for the NBA. With that in mind, ESPN needs to stop reporting this hours on end and discussing this. He's an average role player getting signed to a 10-day contract, stop reporting his sexuality like ENews.

Sadly ESPN seems like it's becoming E!.

And with that, my wallet is $49.95 lighter.

Still, it's about :censored: ing time. Proud to be a Brooklynite, especially since they can make a run at that division title.

Does an NBA division title even matter? It is one of the most irrelevant pieces of championship a pro team can win, right up there with a wildcard title in MLB.

And with that, my wallet is $49.95 lighter.

Still, it's about :censored: ing time. Proud to be a Brooklynite, especially since they can make a run at that division title.

Does an NBA division title even matter? It is one of the most irrelevant pieces of championship a pro team can win, right up there with a wildcard title in MLB.

It matters when your fans buy t-shirts that say "division champions". They don't sell t-shirts for "7th place in East but still made playoffs!". You can't think of these things in terms of SPORTS when there's a lot of other things in play.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The governor of Arizona is currently deciding whether to sign or veto a bill that would give hotels and restaurants (and virtually any other business) the right to bar gay people. This is happening today.

His coming out is very, very important to our country.

Yeah, ESPN is not perfect, but regardless of how much some people may not want to hear about this, this is big-time news. Bigger than sports and it's quite reasonable to expect that ESPN will talk at length about something that transcends sports. That fact that he's an average (well was average, anyway) is not the issue.

-----

This whole thing (the first openly-gay player in one of the big-4) has gone about the exact opposite of how we'd been thinking for years that it may go. The predominant thought was that it would be a first- or second-tier star. This star would be so good that no team would cut him and there would be an outpouring of words of respect for this nearly-irreplaceable player.

Instead we get a 35-year old role player announcing in the off-season while unlikely to make a roster the following season. This ends up creating the most anti-climatic scenario possible. His story sort of fades away and then about three games into the NBA season, we all realize "oh, Collins must not have been signed". Then he signs a 10-day contract on a Sunday and is on the floor that evening. He may only get in a few games before his career ends very unceremoniously. Anyone who is "sick" of the "gay stories" should love this. Today all happened so fast that we barely had time to discuss it in advance. In fact, I think it shoots a hole in the whole "publicity stunt" idea. A publicity stunt would have made WAY more sense if there'd been a few days before the next game and if that game had been at home...certainly not on a Sunday night on the West Coast.

A huge barrier was broken today and it was kinda done with little fanfare.

Worst. Publicity stunt. Ever.

Times have changed. Branch Ricky had to be VERY careful with how to introduce MLB's first black player. He selected the player and prepared for the moment. Jason Collins selected himself and hoped for a call...a call he got in February...a call that may give him 10 final days and a few final games. There was seemingly very little planning. There is very little threat of violence (a huge departure from Jackie Robinson) and, I suspect, that one day when gay players are every bit little of a concern as black players are today, Collins will not be nearly as remembered as Robinson. And I think it's because the world is different today...there are always biggots, but today, most of us know they are jackasses....we understand today's place in history and they know that Jan Brewer is about to make a choice as to whether or not Arizona will end up looking like a bunch of fools.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

With the Michael Sam announcement, the backlash over gay rights in Russia, and Jason Collins' signing, it's been a wild month for this big gay sports fan... I still can't believe that all this is happening.

So, so, cool.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Hopefully on his way to Brooklyn he stumbles upon the Fountain of Youth, because Jason Collins is old for a basketball player that can really make a difference for the Nets, but if they keep playing well and he clogs the lane they could get the third seed in the East and be a dark horse contender as Jason Kidd is actually learning to coach.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

With the Michael Sam announcement, the backlash over gay rights in Russia, and Jason Collins' signing, it's been a wild month for this big gay sports fan... I still can't believe that all this is happening.

So, so, cool.

It is indeed.

During the Prop 8 trial, David Blankenhorn, the only person wiling to defend the ballot measure on the witness stand, said that the country "would be more American on the day we permitted same-sex marriage than we were on the day before." Well, today we are more American than we were this time yesterday.

And it's all the sweeter that this barrier was broken in the service of a win. ;)

I think when it's all said and done, they'll be the 3 seed.

Washington's going to put up a good charge as well, but after Indiana and Miami, the East is anyone's game and the Nets are starting to gel just at the right time.

Atlanta's toast, Charlotte is Charlotte. The Bulls and Raptors will fall a bit.

I think it ends like this:

1. Miami

2. Indiana

3. Brooklyn

4. Washington

5. Toronto

6. Chicago

7. Charlotte

8. Detroit (They're going to start playing aaaaaaany day now :-) )

sig.png

Archived