Jason Collins to the Nets

TheRicSlick

The NBA is donating all proceeds from his jersey sales to the Matthew Shepard Foundation and the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network.

The league says Friday the donations will total no less than $100,000, and it will also auction off Collins' autographed, game-worn jerseys to benefit the same organizations.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is fantastic. At first I thought that selling his jersey cheapened everything and added fuel to the fire of those who thought it was just a PR stunt, but this is great. I believe he had some contact with Shepard's mother or family as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PLAYERS WHO WANNA SLAP EACH OTHER'S BUTTS? WHAT ABOUT THE SHOWERS? WHAT ABOUT THE CHRISITAN BELIEFS OF BASKETBALL FANS? WHY DOES HE HAVE TO TELL ANYONE ABOUT HIS SEXUAILTY?

Collins is proving that all the concerns about an openly gay male athlete in the locker room are completely unfounded. We needed a guy like him.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Is there an openly gay CCSLC member?

A few.

There's probably more gay men on here than there are women.

Do we have any (active) female posters?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PLAYERS WHO WANNA SLAP EACH OTHER'S BUTTS? WHAT ABOUT THE SHOWERS? WHAT ABOUT THE CHRISITAN BELIEFS OF BASKETBALL FANS? WHY DOES HE HAVE TO TELL ANYONE ABOUT HIS SEXUAILTY?

Collins is proving that all the concerns about an openly gay male athlete in the locker room are completely unfounded. We needed a guy like him.

Hehe yep. He signs, it's a big deal because he's the first openly gay athlete to play in the "big four" and then it becomes business as usual once he gets down to actually playing the game. The Nets' locker room didn't descend into chaos, the NBA didn't implode, and fans didn't turn away. It's almost like an openly gay player didn't harm the game at all!

• 2 weeks later...

I think when it's all said and done, they'll be the 3 seed.

Washington's going to put up a good charge as well, but after Indiana and Miami, the East is anyone's game and the Nets are starting to gel just at the right time.

Atlanta's toast, Charlotte is Charlotte. The Bulls and Raptors will fall a bit.

I think it ends like this:

1. Miami

2. Indiana

3. Brooklyn

4. Washington

5. Toronto

6. Chicago

7. Charlotte

8. Detroit (They're going to start playing aaaaaaany day now :-) )

Wait, what?

The Raptors are 25-13 since the Rudy Gay trade, and have SEVEN remaining games vs teams over .500

Hollinger's projecting them to finish 48-34... the Nets would need to finish 22-6 to match that record.

Not happening. Hate to disappoint everyone, but the Raptors are winning the Atlantic.

3 Toronto 69 gp 39 30 5 Brooklyn 68 gp 37-31 1.5 gb W4

Hey what were you saying again

sig.png

What a strange year it has been for Brooklyn. the first two months after having high expectations they crashed and burned Jason Kidd looked lost and they fired Lawrence frank. Brookl Lopez gets hurt and it looks like they are in for a Knicks style flame out than start 2014 and they play like the team I thought they were at the start of the season. Now they can win the divsion and be a hard out in the playoffs. Not as good as Miami or Indiana, but I will bet the beat everyone else and you never know what happens in the Eastern Finals a bounce here or there and they can shock the world.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I really can't stand the people who are calling the Jason Collins announcement big enough to become a movie. Yeah, it's a pretty substantial statement for sports and for the gay community, but I don't think there was enough drama and anticipation from this. I feel like his "struggle" wasn't really a "struggle". I don't think he had a real hard time moving into the league and into the community as a gay athlete. He didn't face any challenges becoming the first gay athlete. In anything, the media attention probably helped him get offered a job with the Nets. Maybe not completely, but I am sure it kept him become a more relevant free agent that the Nets needed.

I think if Michael Sam had been the first gay athlete, it might have been a bit more 'movie-worthy'. But even that is a stretch.

I really can't stand the people who are calling the Jason Collins announcement big enough to become a movie. Yeah, it's a pretty substantial statement for sports and for the gay community, but I don't think there was enough drama and anticipation from this. I feel like his "struggle" wasn't really a "struggle". I don't think he had a real hard time moving into the league and into the community as a gay athlete. He didn't face any challenges becoming the first gay athlete. In anything, the media attention probably helped him get offered a job with the Nets. Maybe not completely, but I am sure it kept him become a more relevant free agent that the Nets needed.

I think if Michael Sam had been the first gay athlete, it might have been a bit more 'movie-worthy'. But even that is a stretch.

On one hand I get what you are saying about how it did not have the outward drama. He announced it months in advance of when he actually made a team (on a ten-day contract, initially), he opened on the road...it was very anti-climatic (which really ought to shut all the "publicity stunt" folks up).

It's still a huge deal...I don't know (or care) whether it is "movie" caliber or not...it's huge.

A couple of things. First, I don't really know why you "can't stand" those who think it's movie worthy. Second, we have no idea what his "struggle" was. Growing up in an athletic culture...playing college ball in the 90s, playing in the NBA, scared of getting outed, what it took for him to come out (changing the consistent fear for the possible backlash). Weather the struggle is movie-worthy or not, it is not a struggle to be dismissed by us.

As for the media attention getting him a job...puh-leez. Whether this is where you are coming from or not, it looks like "the whole world is just conspiring to throw the gays down my throat." I'd love to have a nickel for everyone that says Michael Sam is not draft-worthy but will be drafted because he's gay. When's a straight guy gonna get a break?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived