Jason Collins to the Nets

TheRicSlick

If you have a problem with the coverage Jason Collins has gotten that's a you problem.

Has he even gotten a lot of coverage anyways? I don't watch sportscenter anymore and haven't in at least four years so I don't know what they're over covering these days (Lebron and Arod, I presume), but outside of the worldwide leader I haven't heard much about Collins and I think that's a great thing. A gay man is playing in the NBA and the sport didn't collapse, the Nets lockerroom wasn't corrupted (they're actually winning), and things are moving forward normally, just like smart people said they would.

I wouldn't want a Jason Collins movie anyways. I'd want a full length 30 for 30. A lot of those documentaries have done a much better job of telling the story than a scripted movie with actors would have.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like his "struggle" wasn't really a "struggle".

*sigh*

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Let me re-phrase that. I don't believe his 'struggle' was anywhere near as 'dramatic' as a lot of athletes have gone through. I've seen some incredible stories about players overcoming a lot bigger challenges (coming from foster homes, a disability, drugs in the family) that would've been a far larger obstacle to overcome than what Collins has had to go through. Collins was already a well-known journeyman in the league when he came out of the closet. Michael Sam's situation is a little different.

I said I can't stand the people who want it as a movie because I feel the comparisons of the Jackie Robinson Vs. Jason Collins story is where people are getting these ideas. And in reality, there is no comparison.

A Jason Collins movie would likely be less fictionalized for one....

----------------------------------------

More seriously, considering what else becomes movie fodder nowadays, why not this?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*sigh*

Let me re-phrase that. I don't believe his 'struggle' was anywhere near as 'dramatic' as a lot of athletes have gone through. I've seen some incredible stories about players overcoming a lot bigger challenges (coming from foster homes, a disability, drugs in the family) that would've been a far larger obstacle to overcome than what Collins has had to go through. Collins was already a well-known journeyman in the league when he came out of the closet. Michael Sam's situation is a little different.

I said I can't stand the people who want it as a movie because I feel the comparisons of the Jackie Robinson Vs. Jason Collins story is where people are getting these ideas. And in reality, there is no comparison.

I don't know - you could tell a good story with his (I'm assuming) struggle to keep it a secret while in the league, dealing (and possibly even faking it to "fit in" and stay in the closet) with players who use anti-gay slurs, his inner-turmoil deciding whether to come out or not, his dealing with the media reaction (and player reaction via twitter which wasn't all positive) in the days after, and then his nerves leading up to his first time walking in to the locker room as an openly-gay man, and then coming out on to the court. There's also his dealing with family and friends, pressure from both sides to come out or stay in, and possibly even his dealings with other gay players who haven't come out (obviously they would have names changed if they haven't come out yet.) It's not as "action packed" as Jackie Robinson having bottles thrown at him or being kicked out of a white hotel, but it's certainly dramatic, and a major significant moment. Does it need to be a movie? I don't know - not to me. But then again, some middle school or high school kid who realizes he's gay might appreciate a movie like that and to see how Collins handled it and maybe that would help him. Of course hopefully by then being gay won't be a "thing", but I don't know how realistic that is, especially in some of the less-enlightened parts of society.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

*sigh*

Let me re-phrase that. I don't believe his 'struggle'

Let me stop you right there. The quotation marks aren't helping you.

...was anywhere near as 'dramatic' as a lot of athletes have gone through. I've seen some incredible stories about players overcoming a lot bigger challenges (coming from foster homes, a disability, drugs in the family) that would've been a far larger obstacle to overcome than what Collins has had to go through.

You don't know what Jason Collins had to go through. Having to hide who you truly are? That's not easy.

And yeah, there are more "movie worthy" stories out there, but have you seen what they make into movies these days? I'm not even saying Jason Collins' story should be made a movie. Just that if it were to be made into one it wouldn't be the worst thing to come out of Hollywood.

First off, the Jackie Robinson movie that recently came out kinda sucked. So if a not so great Jason Collins movie were to be made it would be about right for this sort of thing.

Secondly, you're right. There is no comparison. The struggles the LBGT community have gone through are not as monumental as the struggles African Americans have gone through. That doesn't mean they didn't face obstacles. This is why I HATE it when someone tries to compare the hardships of one group of people to the hardships of another group. Not only do you inevitably find yourself trying to compare apples and oranges, but you also inevitably end up saying "group A has suffered more then group B." This ends up trivializing the very real hardships group B faced.

Is Jason Collins on par with Jackie Robinson? No, but he's still very important. If for no other reason than this...

Does it need to be a movie? I don't know - not to me. But then again, some middle school or high school kid who realizes he's gay might appreciate a movie like that and to see how Collins handled it and maybe that would help him.

If Jason Collins playing the NBA and doing relatively well for himself makes it easier for a gay youth to be more comfortable about who they are then Jason Collins becomes very, very important.

The struggles the LBGT community have gone through are not as monumental as the struggles African Americans have gone through. That doesn't mean they didn't face obstacles. This is why I HATE it when someone tries to compare the hardships of one group of people to the hardships of another group. Not only do you inevitably find yourself trying to compare apples and oranges, but you also inevitably end up saying "group A has suffered more then group B." This ends up trivializing the very real hardships group B faced.

Is Jason Collins on par with Jackie Robinson? No, but he's still very important.

Thank you.

And after winning their 14th home game in a row, Jason Collins and the Nets are heading to the playoffs.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400489984

So much for "it's a PR stunt".

also should be the end of "it'll be a distraction in the locker room"
BREAKING NEWS: GAY MAN PLAYS SPORT JUST AS WELL AS STRAIGHT PLAYERS! MORE AT ELEVEN! :D

So what other dumb people counters are left?

Something something Bible something something freedom of speech.

And for the "who cares, doesn't matter, not a big deal" crowd, this is from an article about UMass' Derrick Gordon coming out:

“When [Collins] came out,” Gordon said, “I wanted to come out the next day.

“It was a relief. I was like, ‘about time.’ Finally, it happened. But I still couldn’t jump the gun, because he wasn’t in the NBA at the time when he came out. But when he went back, that’s when I started to build a little more confidence. I watched his – he subbed into a game, and everybody stood up and started clapping. And I was visualizing myself as that being me.”

Archived