World Football League Logo Project

ADW77

So a post in another thread got me thinking... The mothership doesn't have quality WFL logos, and I do. So I will post RGB optimized (thanks to CWx) versions of the WFL logos I do have.

I have all the WFL helmet logos (except the Washington Ambassadors), but very few of the logotypes (yet). I also have all helmet graphics for them as well.

Here's the first up, the 1975 Shreveport Steamer

wfl-shr-75a.png

Next up, 1974 Detroit Wheels

wfl-det-74a.png

Now, 1975 Jacksonville Express

wfl-jac-75a.png

Fourth, 1975 Portland Thunder

wfl-por-75a.png

#5, 1975 San Antonio Wings

wfl-saw-75a.png

I don't know why I have such a soft spot for the Detroit Wheels' logo, but man, I love that thing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This was always my favorite WFL helmet. Just slightly ahead of the Memphis Southmen. This is from my personal collection. George Mira autographed this and a jersey I made at the 30th Anniversary gathering in Birmingham in 2005. He thought the helmet and jersey were his originals until I told him otherwise.

wflmira.jpg

I seem to remember seeing the Stars logo using a "C" closer to the one the Chicago Bears use. Was that one ever used?

These are the actual helmet logos used.

The one with the stars, they cut off the 'wishbone' part of the C along with shortening the ends to fit inside the star so it looks like a 'circle' instead.

Cstars.jpg

I seem to remember seeing the Stars logo using a "C" closer to the one the Chicago Bears use. Was that one ever used?

The one with the stars, they cut off the 'wishbone' part of the C along with shortening the ends to fit inside the start so it looks like a 'circle' instead.

Cstars.jpg

FYI for those who don't know, they used actual Bears helmet logos to modify the star (which had "NY" inside it) . By happenstance, the team officially became "Charlotte" on an away game, in Chicago. For one game, they were the Charlotte Stars.

Next week, they were the Charlotte Hornets.

Will you be making and posting the helmets with those 5 logos, too? These are the best WFL logos and helmet graphics I have ever seen! Keep up the awesome work!!!

Yes, I most certainly will. I wish I could find a good graphic of the Ambassadors logo, as it's highly detailed and vectorizing it would be a long process. I have yet to find anything really acceptable that will help me.

• 2 weeks later...

The one with the stars, they cut off the 'wishbone' part of the C along with shortening the ends to fit inside the start so it looks like a 'circle' instead.

Cstars.jpg

FYI for those who don't know, they used actual Bears helmet logos to modify the star (which had "NY" inside it) . By happenstance, the team officially became "Charlotte" on an away game, in Chicago. For one game, they were the Charlotte Stars.

Next week, they were the Charlotte Hornets.

Indeed. A very interesting (albeit rare and expensive - $65 on Amazon, no copies on Ebay) look into the WFL and the New York/Charlotte Stars/Hornets can be found in "While the Gettin's Good" by Herb Gluck.

I'm pretty sure that picture is from the book. I always wondered about the finer details of that one-game logo - I doubt that the inside of the C in the Bears' logo was filled in like that... did they cut the points off the stars? Or put a piece of black tape over the NY before putting the C over it? Did the Bears give them permission to use extra helmet stickers... if so, why would they?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived