The dead UFL

EJ_Barlik

The Brewers and Spurs own the Milwaukee Admirals and San Antonio Rampage, respectively.

Actually, I believe figures from the Brewers, including the majority owner and GM, own the Admirals. Not the baseball club itself.

Here in NYC, the Yankees are a minority owner in our new MLS club. After beating out the Mets, who wanted in on the sport.

I used to be a member of the UFL fan site called "UFL Access". Early on they had us all fooled. The commish and league's founder talked a big game. By the time the 2nd season ended things started to come out about their crappy business handlings. It's a shame. The UFL actually did deliver on the field. Just goes to show you've got to have your sh** together if you want to start a new professional sports league.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Is there anyone who didn't see that this league had no chance?

Here's the thing: they did have a chance. I believe between season 2 and 3, the NFL wanted to buy the league. The UFL wanted more money, so the deal fell through. That was their chance, and they blew it.

• 1 month later...

I liked the tusk down by the facemask on the Tuskers' helmet. I recall a lot of helmets getting knocked off during UFL games, could have inspired a drinking game.

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Archived