What's missing here?! School logo

OliverP

So I'm working on my school's logo.

My school is named after Faust Vrancic (google him), who is the inventor of the first parachute.

Here is the retrospective of what inspired me:

parachute.jpg

And the logo is:

strojaF2_zps860285b4.jpg

First one is the main logo and the second one is just an acronym.

The colors and font is not yet final, I may change them, but what's bugging me is that it just looks like there is something missing. I can't put my finger on what it is so this is where you come in.

C&C is desperately needed.

Please!

Possibly rounding the ends of the burst may help it look more like a parachute instead of a flower or sunburst.

I mean its fine as is but parachute is down on the list of things I'd think it was without knowing the backstory.

I tried rounding the edges but it was looking so much more as a flower.

So I made this...its a technological, machining and graphic school so I gave it a beveled look and more vibrant colors.

I purposely dropped out the center circle because I think its not necessary.

Not sure about the font, don't know what to look for, some kind of slab serif or sans serif.

stroja_zps8da77c27.jpg

I tried rounding the edges but it was looking so much more as a flower.

So I made this...its a technological, machining and graphic school so I gave it a beveled look and more vibrant colors.

I purposely dropped out the center circle because I think its not necessary.

Not sure about the font, don't know what to look for, some kind of slab serif or sans serif.

stroja_zps8da77c27.jpg

I think the color change and 3-D really helped it. Another problem I see is that its hard to picture a parachute. It looks like crystal shards coming together... maybe an outline around the logo to make it one shape instead of many?

What if you tried to add some perspective to make it look more like you were looking into the "bowl" of a parachute? Like the same logo, but from a similar angle as your inspiration photo?

Wikipedia seems to show that his parachute design was square... that would be an interesting direction to explore.

397px-Fausto_Veranzio_homo_volans.jpg

I'm thinking you've pretty much nailed it the first time, but remove the circle. If the rounded corners seem too floral that's totally fine and I can see that just wanted you to explore it.

It doesn't have to be (nor should it be) an illustration of a parachute, nor should it be the original square. I think you're right on it but I don't care for the bevels. A very improtant part of the design process is not only getting to the finish line, but knowing when to stop. You're a bit past that point.

In all honesty the font you had was doing a pretty good job. Something about the diacriticals are bothering me a bit but when i examine them I don't know how to fix them. It could be since English is my primary language I'm just not used to seeing that many so that is throwing me off.

I'm thinking you've pretty much nailed it the first time, but remove the circle. If the rounded corners seem too floral that's totally fine and I can see that just wanted you to explore it.

It doesn't have to be (nor should it be) an illustration of a parachute, nor should it be the original square. I think you're right on it but I don't care for the bevels. A very improtant part of the design process is not only getting to the finish line, but knowing when to stop. You're a bit past that point.

In all honesty the font you had was doing a pretty good job. Something about the diacriticals are bothering me a bit but when i examine them I don't know how to fix them. It could be since English is my primary language I'm just not used to seeing that many so that is throwing me off.

Thank you for being so analytic and I too think that it doesn't have too be very similar to a parachute. Example: the Nike swoosh doesn't quite represent a wing of the goddess Nike.

If I find a better font I will defiantly use it, but s of now I'm pretty content with it.

Anyway...here it is.

stroja_logo_final_zps71f97cd1.jpg

stroja_logo_final_acronym_zpsd60fffa0.jp

I have one more pretty good idea which I'll make happen.

Totally new logo...you'll see. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived