Somebody needs to put an end to this guy's madness.

shaydre1019

yea they're bad and the kid looks likes he's limited by the software and fonts available to him but i don't think we need to shun him from the internet. i can say i appreciate the outside the box thinking and going for something different. and the only way he will ever improve is to do a lot of work. and he needs to do a ton, but while he's doing it i'll let him be.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

LI Phil....

I was thinking the same thing, but he just put together the album i believe, lol.

So after looking through his FB page, it appears he has some sort of contract with a youth football league in Florida. I guess he makes decent money off of it, or doing something. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Design-Junkie/208307940215

I would LOVE to design for a youth football league. As much as i dislike his work, i'd be happy to see my work being used in real life.

LI Phil....

I was thinking the same thing, but he just put together the album i believe, lol.

So after looking through his FB page, it appears he has some sort of contract with a youth football league in Florida. I guess he makes decent money off of it, or doing something. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Design-Junkie/208307940215

I would LOVE to design for a youth football league. As much as i dislike his work, i'd be happy to see my work being used in real life.

the uniforms he gave the kids are actually dope

qqsnye7igxo8ec46p6i8.gif8w1hgru5dzdypj7inln83daen.giffh4wdzfefsmfcaxut0absohlk.giffie6s5apghfbj7vtla8v.gif

For the past year or so, I've seen a lot of terrible uniform concepts popping up around the internet. They all looked really similar, and now they're popping up all over twitter and facebook. I'm seeing a few a day at this point. I like modern designs when done right. This is not the case. I'm sure some of you have seen this guy's work around. A lot of my friends think these are awesome. I'm starting to feel like some of the traditionalists around here. At the very least, I feel like a lot of people's work from here deserves the exposure that this guy gets because there is A LOT of solid work being done here that only we know about.

Yet you're giving him exposure to this entire board. Yeah the're "different", but different isn't always bad. I'd welcome work like this on the concepts board.

Whether his work is good or bad, this board often has a "crabs in a bucket" mentality.

Fundamentally, these are bad uniforms... for one, he leaves absolutely no space for two-digit numbers.

LI Phil....

LI Phil....

the uniforms he gave the kids are actually dope

If by dope you mean absaloutly atrocious then yeah. They look worse in person than on screen

the only cool element on any of those atrocious jerseys was the sword in the belt on the raiders, and i would never actually want to see that on a real jersey

haha i will admit that was the one idea i actually thought was kinda creative. Those actually came to life...

Yeah the're "different", but different isn't always bad. I'd welcome work like this on the concepts board.

To me these are exactly the types of designs that prove that "unique" doesn't equate to "good."
See, I prefer to take the stance of "Yeah, it's bad. What can be done to make it better?" To me, true innovation is often found in improving upon failures, as opposed to refining successes. I guess that's why I like stuff like 90's design, there's often so much potential that gets ignored in favor of everyone pointing and laughing.

Don't get me wrong, these are terrible. With that being said, I see a few interesting things that are worth looking at further. Sometimes it's good to stop, take a look at, and study "unique" designs, whether "good" or "bad," rather than constantly laud and praise the same old designs that have been around for decades. We know that they're good and always will be, so why waste time talking about how great they are? That doesn't promote progress, that promotes stagnation.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Yeah the're "different", but different isn't always bad. I'd welcome work like this on the concepts board.

To me these are exactly the types of designs that prove that "unique" doesn't equate to "good."
See, I prefer to take the stance of "Yeah, it's bad. What can be done to make it better?" To me, true innovation is often found in improving upon failures, as opposed to refining successes. I guess that's why I like stuff like 90's design, there's often so much potential that gets ignored in favor of everyone pointing and laughing.

Don't get me wrong, these are terrible. With that being said, I see a few interesting things that are worth looking at further. Sometimes it's good to stop, take a look at, and study "unique" designs, whether "good" or "bad," rather than constantly laud and praise the same old designs that have been around for decades. We know that they're good and always will be, so why waste time talking about how great they are? That doesn't promote progress, that promotes stagnation.

Very well said, sir

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

the only cool element on any of those atrocious jerseys was the sword in the belt on the raiders, and i would never actually want to see that on a real jersey

This:

299073_10150283609285216_1446409998_n.jp

and a few others reminded me of CFL uniforms from the 90s (probably because they were the only football league to take on the 90s big logos fad, along with oddly placed numbers):

1995_Away.jpg

Unlike most of the people on this site (I think), I don't reject big logos out of principle, probably because I'm a 90s kid, but other than that Raiders sword I don't see this guy doing any big logos; they're more like all-over prints, and basically all of them seem lazy or thoughtless. Combine that with the random piping and confused placement of numbers, Nike swooshes, and logos overall, and it seems like this guy's guiding aesthetic is to make uniforms as garish as possible. Some of the individual elements I don't think are completely horrible--the Great Lakes on his Michigan concept are interesting--but less is more, less is more.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Very well said, sir

Sorry, I have to disagree. If something is bad, then it's bad. And these designs are just that, bad. Of course elements within the overall design have potential, but the goal should be to point out that these elements work, but that the way they're being used isn't working. "Yeah, it's bad, but it's also unique and we can't stagnate!" rubs me the wrong way because it's like saying "even though what works still works we need to change it for the sake of change." Which, in my opinion, isn't a healthy philosophy.

Very well said, sir

Sorry, I have to disagree. If something is bad, then it's bad. And these designs are just that, bad. Of course elements within the overall design have potential, but the goal should be to point out that these elements work, but that the way they're being used isn't working. "Yeah, it's bad, but it's also unique and we can't stagnate!" rubs me the wrong way because it's like saying "even though what works still works we need to change it for the sake of change." Which, in my opinion, isn't a healthy philosophy.
Exactly. But tell me, how often does that happen, as opposed to the typical, "They're bad and that's that" response (which you happened to start off your post with)? How often do the individual elements get broken down and discussed? Look at this thread, has anyone mentioned that the colors that were used for the Cardinals are actually damn good, or that this proved that silver pants need to make a comeback for the Falcons, or that white pants/white jerseys is a decent modern update to the Raiders, at least good enough to be worn as an alternate? Look at the Bucs thread right now. How many responses are actually discussing what went wrong and how it could be fixed? Hell, even my posts in that thread didn't delve into the real issues as much as they should've. We need more discussion on how Oregon has revolutionized what a "brand" can be and how they aren't quite living up to their own standards, and less discussion about how Oregon has ruined college aesthetics forever.

It's that point that I'm trying to make, not the "Modern good, change welcome!" response that you associate my stance with. I'll try to make things clearer:

Promotes Stagnation:

.Traditionalists talking incessantly about how "what works still works" and rarely bringing anything new to the table, sometimes defending out-of-date design elements because of "tradition"

.Modernists proving them right by mindlessly defending any new trend that comes along, regardless of its execution, and blatantly ignoring what has been proven to work because it's "old"

.Both sides refusing to move away from their extremes (Traditionalists refuse to acknowledge that not all new things, whether good or bad, should be scrapped and forgotten, and Modernists refuse to accept that all change isn't automatically good and thus immune from criticism)

Promotes Progress:

.Active, healthy discussion that avoids the previous things, both sides coming off their high horses for a bit

.Breaking down why what doesn't work doesn't work, and not instantly dismissing it

.Not being afraid to update classic looks, "Never change" is as stupid a mindset as "Out with the old! In with the new!"

See what I'm getting at?

You can't ever predict what will go viral and why. I spent over a year putting together a thoughtful redesign set, even got a 2-part feature on Uniwatch.com, yet mine hardly got any attention.

That's just how it goes. He's far from professional, no reason to let his "success" dictate your approach to good design.

How often do the individual elements get broken down and discussed? Look at this thread, has anyone mentioned that the colors that were used for the Cardinals are actually damn good...

The Cardinals' set used red, black, and gold/yellow right? The Cards are my second NFL team, and I would rather they keep the gold confined to the logo's beak. I don't want to see it spread to the uniform.

...or that this proved that silver pants need to make a comeback for the Falcons, or that white pants/white jerseys is a decent modern update to the Raiders, at least good enough to be worn as an alternate?

The thing is that you can find well done concepts on this very forum that illustrate these points. I don't need to see a clown suit uniform concept to see that the Falcons need to bring back silver pants. oldschoolviking's Falcons concept does a great job convincing me of that, and the all around package isn't offensively bad.

Look at the Bucs thread right now. How many responses are actually discussing what went wrong and how it could be fixed? Hell, even my posts in that thread didn't delve into the real issues as much as they should've.

People are beaten down. Between the Jags and Bucs it's clear that whoever is designing/approving these things (be they Nike, NFL properties, the teams, or a combination of all three) are hell bent on pushing the current aesthetic to the detriment of a lot of team's looks. You want more of a discussion about how to fix the Bucs' new uniforms? My response would be to trash them and start over. I'm not being overly negative. I'm not "afraid of change." I think every aspect of the Bucs' new look is atrocious. A list of things I like and things I want to see fixed would amount to "just change it to a completely different uniform" and I don't think that's what you had in mind.

We need more discussion on how Oregon has revolutionized what a "brand" can be and how they aren't quite living up to their own standards, and less discussion about how Oregon has ruined college aesthetics forever.

Honest question here, not trying to be snarky. What if I don't like what Oregon's done. Like, at all? Your statement assumes I would have something positive to say about the way the University of Oregon football program has handled their identity in the past 15+ years. What if I just don't think it has much value? What if my honest to G-d opinion is that what they've done to change what a "brand" can be has been negative?

It's that point that I'm trying to make, not the "Modern good, change welcome!" response that you associate my stance with.

I think you're trying to force a conversation where it doesn't exist for a lot of people. Sometimes a new look comes around that vast majority of people simply don't like. Asking them to not be honest in their dislike in the same of a vague design philosophy is silly. Why should someone say "I don't think it's all bad, and they should focus on x, y, and z" if they really do think it's all bad?

Promotes Stagnation:

.Traditionalists talking incessantly about how "what works still works" and rarely bringing anything new to the table, sometimes defending out-of-date design elements because of "tradition"

.Modernists proving them right by mindlessly defending any new trend that comes along, regardless of its execution, and blatantly ignoring what has been proven to work because it's "old"

.Both sides refusing to move away from their extremes (Traditionalists refuse to acknowledge that not all new things, whether good or bad, should be scrapped and forgotten, and Modernists refuse to accept that all change isn't automatically good and thus immune from criticism)

Promotes Progress:

.Active, healthy discussion that avoids the previous things, both sides coming off their high horses for a bit

.Breaking down why what doesn't work doesn't work, and not instantly dismissing it

.Not being afraid to update classic looks, "Never change" is as stupid a mindset as "Out with the old! In with the new!"

That's nice, but a few years back we got an influx of modernist posters. Funny thing is I didn't consider myself a traditionalist. I tend to prefer traditional aesthetics, but there are a few modern looks I enjoy in each sport. Problem was these modernist people, they became so obnoxious, so enamoured with the idea that they were right and everyone else was over 50 and just to old to "get it" that I just sort of stopped trying to defend the idea of a middle ground. I said "it's not about traditional or modern, it's about looking good" plenty of times, but after a while of dealing with these obnoxious people I just sort of adopted a "oh Lord, not this again..." mentality. Unfortunate, but there it is. A loud, vocal minority is often the best "cure" for reasoned discourse.

I'm going to try to respond to everything as best I can, Ice Cap. I totally understand. You don't think I'm tired of having crap shoved down my throat too? The majority of things that come out these days I'm either indifferent to or hate. I would much rather discuss good examples than bad ones, but guess what? There aren't many examples of good design left, and the ones that are still present have been discussed to death. There's almost nothing left to learn. Even with concepts, all we can do is pat each other on the back and repeat the same old templates of our own.

That's nice, but a few years back we got an influx of modernist posters. Funny thing is I didn't consider myself a traditionalist. I tend to prefer traditional aesthetics, but there are a few modern looks I enjoy in each sport. Problem was these modernist people, they became so obnoxious, so enamoured with the idea that they were right and everyone else was over 50 and just to old to "get it" that I just sort of stopped trying to defend the idea of a middle ground. I said "it's not about traditional or modern, it's about looking good" plenty of times, but after a while of dealing with these obnoxious people I just sort of adopted a "oh Lord, not this again..." mentality. Unfortunate, but there it is. A loud, vocal minority is often the best "cure" for reasoned discourse.

That's the thing: The proper response to that loud vocal minority is not to go back to your corner, plug your ears, go "lalala I can't hear you," and quit trying to find and defend the middle ground, as well as stop trying to have reasoned discourse when possible. That's not just for design, that's for life in general. That's how the religion I claim has slowly fallen out of touch with the world, because they're so damn convinced that everything that's been spouted for generations is automatically right, even though times have changed, and the middle ground needs to be found again.

You said people are getting tired? Well guess what? It happens, get used to it. You're gonna get tired, that's how life is. Doesn't mean you have to stop trying to find a better way. Again, it's life. I'm tired of nearly everything I've come to expect in my late teens/early 20s failing miserably. Does that give me just cause to stop trying and stay at home with what I know, never to find my own path in life?

You mentioned that there's some things you flat-out don't like. Well good, that's your opinion. Just be ready to honestly and thoroughly state your reasons for not liking them, and don't be like those obnoxious people who can only state one idea over and over again. If they respond stupidly? Then leave, you can't have a logical conversation with them. But if they show the ability to communicate like a normal person, then by all means, stick around and see if there's a common ground that can be reached. I'll be honest, joining this forum has taken a hammer to my nostalgia and pre-conceived notions. I found that lot of the stuff I like isn't liked by the majority. So, I had to evaluate why I like them as well as investigate why they aren't liked by the majority. Now I can see the glaring flaws as well as the positive things in the stuff I like, and I'm learning how to properly express my opinions to others, as well as understanding theirs, regardless of whether I like them or not. Same in real life, I'm learning how to deal with people and things that I can't stand, but will have to face.

I've read a lot of your posts, Cap, and I know you're a damn good poster on this board (I lurked for a long time before joining). A well-written response and evaluation by you and guys like BrandMoore, McCarthy, BBTV, Gothamite, etc is something I enjoy reading. I'm kinda bummed that the influx of bad design trends (and the obnoxious posters coming with them), is keeping you, and others, from having the good, quality discussions about the good and bad of design that I know y'all are capable of, because I've read them.

I'll try to make it clearer: Continually trying to find that perfect middle ground through both good and bad times. That promotes progress.

Archived