Does success influence a fan's opinion of a logo?

Tigers6884

In the 1990's, teams such as the Toronto Blue Jays, Baltimore Orioles, Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders, and Pittsburgh Penguins changed their logos. Problem was, they had won championships wearing these logos that they were changing. Their new logos were criticized, and in some cases, hated (remember Robo Penguin and Fishsticks?). To make matters worse, none of these teams won championships under the new logos. This may be what led to the hate. Eventually these teams switched back to the classic" logos (and Pittsburgh has also won another Stanley Cup, in 2009). So what do you guys think? Were the logos really that bad, or were they a scapegoat to place the losing teams bad luck on?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Sports fans are a superstitious bunch. That's all I can say.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Were the logos really that bad, or were they a scapegoat to place the losing teams bad luck on?

It can be a little from Column A and a little from Column B. The Islanders' fisherman was OK -- the uniforms were terrible -- and the RoboPenguin was actually pretty good, I thought. But you're right, logo hate becomes amplified when teams don't win wearing them.

It works the other way, too. For example, if the New York Yankees hadn't won however-many World Series titles wearing simply an interlocking NY on their uniforms -- and one that doesn't match on their caps -- they probably would have been redesigned long ago. Same with the Dallas Cowboys' success while wearing a simple star on their helmets and a shade of silver on their pants that doesn't match up. Logo love can also be amplified when teams do win wearing them, to the point that those logos become untouchable icons.

Yeah I'd say so. if we're to ever mention even touching up the Lakers logo to anyone I would be considered a heritic, and you don't want to know what happens when I even mention liking the blue and white uniforms better. So yeah it has a big effect.

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

Yeah I'd say so. if we're to ever mention even touching up the Lakers logo to anyone I would be considered a heritic, and you don't want to know what happens when I even mention liking the blue and white uniforms better. So yeah it has a big effect.

I guess you haven't seen the threads where the Lakers' logo is considered one of the NBA's worst and positioned in the bottom 3.

For me, the winning doesn't necessarily influence how I feel about the logo.

As I get older...(I'm only 26) I feel like I gravitate to logos that are similar to their older counterparts from the 80's and 90's. Don't get me wrong, that's not the end all be all for me...but if it's more of a throwback or "fauxback" I'm pretty much on board.

Purely a nostalgia thing for me.

Β 6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

absolutely. at least in my case.

never liked the old buffalo sabres goat head until 1999. funny what a cup run will do to change your opinion.

also people loved the buffaslug when the sabres were winning. It was the number one selling team jersey or something. they had to make special practice jerseys b/c the originals couldnt get manufactured fast enough. All this, despite.... well you know. Teh ugly

At first I was apprehensive when the Ducks dumped the Mighty identity. Unique colour scheme and iconic logo, gone forever but not really. In its place, a totally different look that was about as far away from the old look as you could possibly get. I felt somewhat alienated at the time. That said, the new look grew on me a bit over the summer, and something about that original Anaheim Ducks uniform does bring a smile to my face when I look back on that season.

Soon as the Edge version was introduced, I started noticing more and more flaws with the overall look and grew to dislike it more: the hemstripe not even going all the way around the jersey. The poor utilisation of the colour scheme that resulted in a bland, soulless look when watching on TV. The wordmark being shrunk down significantly. Or the fact that said wordmark was the team's Godsdamned primary logo. Thing is, I want to like it because it's my favourite team, after all. But there's too much wrong with the overall identity and it's bugged me to no end. Even the third jersey, as much as I've praised it just for being more visually interesting and more appealing than the other two jerseys, still has its own glaring flaws as well. I've been wanting something new, something better. Ideally, just bringing the old look back. But if it's better than what we have now, I don't mind what it is.

Success (and therefore superstition) probably plays a part in fan opinion, but more often than not nostalgia seemingly trumps all else. Some of us just want something that looks good, or something that either is or harkens back to what we grew up with.

mTBXgML.png

PotD:Β 24/08/2017

Think of the Packers. They have a simple G as a logo and everybody loves it because it's association with winning, but if a expansion team came into the league with a simple G the world would go crazy on how boring it is.

Think of the Packers. They have a simple G as a logo and everybody loves it because it's association with winning, but if a expansion team came into the league with a simple G the world would go crazy on how boring it is.

Not to mention that they don't even use the initials GB. Honestly, who only uses the first letter of their two word city name? Anyone else?

I'm sure 20 years or so from now people will say the Seahawks set is flawless and should stay forever, but in reality, the jersey has flaws, but people overlook that because some of the franchise's best players and teams sported the look.

Β 

spacer.png

Not to mention that they don't even use the initials GB. Honestly, who only uses the first letter of their two word city name? Anyone else?

You know, that's a good point. I never really thought much of the fact that there's only a G and not a GB in their logo. What's up with that?

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

You know, that's a good point. I never really thought much of the fact that there's only a G and not a GB in their logo. What's up with that?

Stands for "Greatness", even though that sound very corny.

If it wasn't for the Lakers history of winning and the hall of famers that have worn the purple and gold everyone would be bashing the Lakers logo for being one of the worst in sports.

los-angeles-lakers-logo-png.png

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

If it wasn't for the Lakers history of winning and the hall of famers that have worn the purple and gold everyone would be bashing the Lakers logo for being one of the worst in sports.

los-angeles-lakers-logo-png.png

Just like everybody bashes the Clippers, who ripped off the Lakers.

cool_zps42cc8888.jpg

I don't know about other teams, but I can say that the Blue Jays got their logo and identity right on the very first try. Sure, they won back-to-back championships, but for me, they had a perfect look, and there really was no need to ever change it. This is why their 2012 modernization was great... They went back to their best look and made it better. The weird years of graphite/black/etc. were gone.

I think the Broncos are a good case study... There was a lot of negativity when their new uniforms were unveiled in 1997. Then they won back-to-back Super Bowls wearing them, and I think that made them a "modern classic."

Or an even more recent study, the Oklahoma City Thunder. Don't get me wrong I and many others still hate the whole identity; but there are many that have cooled or become complacent with it, mostly because they're winning.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Or an even more recent study, the Oklahoma City Thunder. Don't get me wrong I and many others still hate the whole identity; but there are many that have cooled or become complacent with it, mostly because they're winning.

Have they really? Who could love this

cool_zps5d2b3a39.jpg

Archived