Raysox's InkscapeTutorials

raysox

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you do the sabres logo

And this is why the concepts section has gotten so bad.

You're missing the point: He's not doing the concepts for you, he's giving you tutorials on how to make the concepts in general. That's the purpose of this thread, because paint-made, hand drawn concept series aren't doing any justice, people around here are expecting good, well-made concepts, not ideas jotted down in 15 minutes.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Pretty much. I mean, it's just people rushing things. The hand drawn baseball series is fantastic, and I know some paint stuff that ends up really really nice. It take patience before posting.

If you look at the old pages, the majority were just single concept threads. If your first thread is 40 concepts, you're going to rush them and they won't be great. I used to not finish threads but I've learned to stick with it. Sure people get bored of doing concepts for a thread, but that's not the point. The point is to start small. Build up your skill.

As far as the thread ideas, yes we've seen billions of Milwaukee Brewers concepts here, but it's still worth it to see your interpretation. It's better than making up a sport and half assing a concept. Use the logos that are already done first before you go out and make ones from scratch I think. Originally, the old icethetics got me into concepts. I did NHL concepts only for a few months, then did baseball and football and everything. I didn't to a scratch concept for a long time. But I learnt the method to it and look at me now.

Pretty much. I mean, it's just people rushing things. The hand drawn baseball series is fantastic, and I know some paint stuff that ends up really really nice. It take patience before posting.

If you look at the old pages, the majority were just single concept threads. If your first thread is 40 concepts, you're going to rush them and they won't be great. I used to not finish threads but I've learned to stick with it. Sure people get bored of doing concepts for a thread, but that's not the point. The point is to start small. Build up your skill.

As far as the thread ideas, yes we've seen billions of Milwaukee Brewers concepts here, but it's still worth it to see your interpretation. It's better than making up a sport and half assing a concept. Use the logos that are already done first before you go out and make ones from scratch I think. Originally, the old icethetics got me into concepts. I did NHL concepts only for a few months, then did baseball and football and everything. I didn't to a scratch concept for a long time. But I learnt the method to it and look at me now.

That last paragraph is exactly what happened with me! IceThetics was the birth of my artist name Wonka, and now I think I get called that more from my friends than my actual name.

This site could be my favorite site again if not every new redesign or new sport idea was a design that was made in 5 minutes because they were excited to start it.

I myself have had 2 failed 'fantasy' leagues on here so far, but I honestly don't mind. Creating those logos step by step with C&C was amazing.

See, I wouldn't mind bad concepts at first if the people took the criticism and actually made the changes that were suggested.

Most the time on the threads you see so much hate (criticism) and the people respond by making excuses.

Mind if I post a YouTube video to this thread when I'm done for my hockey concept?

Nice work here, I've been using Inkscape for awhile now and I even learned a new trick/tool in this thread that's an alternative to clipping.

For those that are a tad newer to the forum and don't quite understand the "this place used to be better" sentiment some members (myself included) have, I've gathered a few concept threads that were started long before many of you were members here — not just as a show of the kind of work the concepts section used to feature, but also as prime examples of what planning and presentation can do for a concept. These are all series, so they're a bit lengthy, but I'd highly recommend looking through them. Some top notch work in these bad boys (and quite a few of them were done in Inkscape, if I'm not mistaken):

CJ's Personal Football League

jaha32's Elite Basketball Alliance

HugeVolFan's Major League Football

CAB's American Association Project

juliusseizure's International Football League

These are just a few that were off the top of my head, and there's plenty more out there if you look. My point here is that all of these were planned out and executed, not half-assed and thrown together. It's a heck of a lot more fulfilling to finish a project than to get comments like "wow that's cool can you do my team" and "nice". Projects that are thought out gain momentum as they grow, and if you heed members' advice, you'll end up with a much better product in the end -- after all, that's what C&C is for, right?

Excellent start, by the way, Mike.

To add to drdougfresh another thread would be Windell's918 Professional Dodgeball Coalition

Eh some of those even feel rushed IHMO. While some of them are nice they aren't on the same level as the ones Doug mentioned.

The best of the made-up/whacky sport threads was Raysox's Yakball Leagues.

To add to drdougfresh another thread would be Windell's918 Professional Dodgeball Coalition

That thread is great, but I feel the best threads for beginning designers are threads of more relevant/more-followed sports. While Yakball and Dodgeball may be cool, it's gonna be hard for you to get a template to fit your program.

That's why the others are great, there's a wide variety of templates available for use.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

i havea quesion, how do i make arching letters for like baseball, basketball, roundels, etc, also step 4 im having a bit of issue with with the path+intersect, im doing it how its explained but im just not getting my stripe to perfectly get cut

2rzsaw3.jpg

I have one question about finishing a concept thread/series. I am on the last team for my EIHL rebranding and I feel that I have lost some interest. I don't know if its just because I'm still new to it or something and probably takes a long longer for me, but I always have my ideas run dry after a month or so. Same goes for my MLS expansion; I started those in July and I have run out of ideas. I had about half of my EIHL teams finished before I posted the thread in hopes of finishing but still missed by one team. Do you guys typically have them all finished before you start? Maybe I just have ADD or something lol.

I have one question about finishing a concept thread/series. I am on the last team for my EIHL rebranding and I feel that I have lost some interest. I don't know if its just because I'm still new to it or something and probably takes a long longer for me, but I always have my ideas run dry after a month or so. Same goes for my MLS expansion; I started those in July and I have run out of ideas. I had about half of my EIHL teams finished before I posted the thread in hopes of finishing but still missed by one team. Do you guys typically have them all finished before you start? Maybe I just have ADD or something lol.

I know the feeling.

I think what helps is that you start out SMALL. Like, make it a 10-team league only. And do try to make all of them before you start posting them. And then if the thread's doing good and you get a lot of great feedbacks and whatnot, then you can "expand" the league by a few teams.

I think that's what jaha did with his basketball thread. He started out the league with only....20(?) teams, and then the thread became so popular and that motivated him to keep going and cap it off at 30 teams.

I downloaded Inkscape the other day and started following the tutorial, but, for the life of me, Path>Intersection won't work. I select the stripes and the blue jersey base, then Path>Intersection, then the whole selection just disappears. I tried layering them differently and that didn't work either (actually, I tried a dozen different things for about an hour). The Path>Intersection still wasn't working. Any thoughts? I have no doubt it's me, I just can't figure out what I'm doing (or not doing) incorrectly.

That aside, the tutorial is very useful. Thanks again. Actually, just having the template and then you explaining how you use it was immensely helpful.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I downloaded Inkscape the other day and started following the tutorial, but, for the life of me, Path>Intersection won't work. I select the stripes and the blue jersey base, then Path>Intersection, then the whole selection just disappears. I tried layering them differently and that didn't work either (actually, I tried a dozen different things for about an hour). The Path>Intersection still wasn't working. Any thoughts? I have no doubt it's me, I just can't figure out what I'm doing (or not doing) incorrectly.

That aside, the tutorial is very useful. Thanks again. Actually, just having the template and then you explaining how you use it was immensely helpful.

The stripe must be a path, I assume you're using a stroke?

Just go to Path>Stroke to Path first, layer it correctly (as shown in the tutorial) then go and do Path>Intersection.

Archived