New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Been busy tonight, but my thoughts on the uniforms and the logo.

Being a fan and season ticket holder, my biggest issue was logo and merchandise and in the media. Yet, instead of correcting that problem (I do not like buying merchandise that shows a helmet, which is why I generally bought and wore jerseys instead of t-shirts, etc). Instead, I get an updated helmet logo. And the one thing I did buy regularly, the jerseys, are completely different and only needed a minor update.

And as mentioned here, that was the sleeve striping since modern jerseys on the field don't have sleeves. I was hoping for a USC Trojans style shoulder arcs, etc. Instead, we get an entire rework with the drop shadows. Which is bad. Either outline or simple orange on brown (similar to the OSU Beavers two-color jerseys). Not opposed to shoulder/chest striping because it works for the modern uniform. But, it interferes with the fan jerseys (since fan jerseys still have sleeves). CLEVELAND across the chest just feels hokey. I see a lot of HS football, and it feels like a crappy inner-city high school football team. The stitching just makes it worse, to me. I wasn't opposed to orange # on brown jersey, but the way they did it looks cheap and gaudy.

I'm probably not buying the new jersey just because it's not worth it to me. The other merchandise doesn't interest me either as it is still just the helmet logo. I was hoping, And we got rid of the dawg head logo I did like and instead created the orange dawg pound logo that is absolutely horrifically pedestrian. Sure, they're gearing it toward children. So, make that a kids logo and keep a more fierce/intimidating dawg head logo for everyone else. Curious how this will all be worked in at the stadium this year. The dawg head logo had made a comeback this year with the "100% DAWG POUND" graphics on the new video screens.... which means we probably are losing them and god-forbid this orange logo on it.

I just think the team completely missed the boat on what fans WANTED out of the team in a rework. Some will like it, some won't. But, if you asked the fans that liked it, they'd have wanted it done differently. And 'at least we're not Tampa Bay' isn't something to take solace in.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These aren't the worst, I have to say.

I just wish they didn't have the drop shadow. That brown home jersey would look so much better if the numbers were just orange. With the updated colors, they'd "pop" brilliantly.

Out of the combos I saw, the O/W/W looked the best. Followed by O/W/O, O/B/O and O/O/W.

The brown pants (and white pants, except when paired with the brown jersey) will only be tolerable with the orange socks.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I will preface this with the idea that I really hate the pants wordmark.

HOWEVER, if they were going to do it, is this execution more tolerable? Just an idea I had. Basically it's the same style just unveiled but with the text filling in the rest of the stripe.

13ztyde.png

I think this update is actually really solid, but I think they've missed the mark with the colors of the numbers on the home & the away uniforms. For the brown uniform, I feel as if the numbers should be white, and on the white uniform, I think they should be brown.

Also, I don't know if I'm feelin' the 'BROWNS' wordmark on the pants stripes, but I think that's a common gripe here.

Overall, a nice update with a few minor head-scratchers.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

- I actually like the orange numbers on the brown, and think it makes the brown on brown look a lot better than it did before.

- I want to see these in normal lighting. The Suns had a similar lighting environment for their unveil and I pretty much thought their jerseys were atrocious. But when I saw them in more natural lighting, I actually liked them.

KNXV_New_Suns_uniform_2013_2013081519322

In the lighting tonight, the helmet finish wasn't pretty and the color didn't seem to match with the orange jersey. The brown looked really dull and close to dark gray. They look better in the promo pics, although you can't necessarily trust those either.

- While I don't like the pants text, it doesn't kill the whole thing for me, partially because the font is so thick that it almost just looks like stripe if you're not close up.

- I know several college teams have done something similar (text down the pants) but I can't recall who. Anyone?

Thinking out loud and thinking ahead. In 2019, Nike's contract is up with the NFL. The contrast stitching only works with the template Nike has for their jerseys. I wonder if let's say UA becomes the new outfitter, would they eliminate that to fit with template? Four years down the line, so it's just me thinking ahead

Go A's!

I think Brown is primary NFL shop only has brown and no orange in toddler jerseys

http://www.nflshop.com/Cleveland_Browns_Jerseys

And they have Trent Richardson throwbacks for $39.99!!!

I'm surprised they haven't dropped the price on last year's stuff significantly. I'll probably get a customized away or alt whenever they come out.

- I actually like the orange numbers on the brown, and think it makes the brown on brown look a lot better than it did before.

- I want to see these in normal lighting. The Suns had a similar lighting environment for their unveil and I pretty much thought their jerseys were atrocious. But when I saw them in more natural lighting, I actually liked them.

KNXV_New_Suns_uniform_2013_2013081519322

In the lighting tonight, the helmet finish wasn't pretty and the color didn't seem to match with the orange jersey. The brown looked really dull and close to dark gray. They look better in the promo pics, although you can't necessarily trust those either.

- While I don't like the pants text, it doesn't kill the whole thing for me, partially because the font is so thick that it almost just looks like stripe if you're not close up.

- I know several college teams have done something similar (text down the pants) but I can't recall who. Anyone?

Ole Miss, a few of the teams that order from the catalog.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Nowhere near as bad as they could have been, but I see problems:

• The name on the pants
  • Monochrome Orange
  • Monochrome Brown (open season for wiseguy Steelers fans to say "Not only do you look like....you're playing like....")
  • The Brown jersey with orange numbers. They tried and failed with this 30 years ago and there isn't much difference in what they did this time around. Can they really say with a straight face that the new uniform is really better than this: $(KGrHqJ,!rQFGJWNw)bwBRl7YZE6Fg~~60_35.J?

The rise shadow isn't as bad as we thought. What we were seeing from leaks was a basic rise shadow. On the actual uniforms, the numbers appear to connect to the shadow at the angle points.

Its better than it was... but its still not an excuse.

As I said before, the shoulder stripes extent to an intermediate seem. It can be seen here:

-6b3f93a567914b09.jpg

I will preface this with the idea that I really hate the pants wordmark.

HOWEVER, if they were going to do it, is this execution more tolerable? Just an idea I had. Basically it's the same style just unveiled but with the text filling in the rest of the stripe.

13ztyde.png

If you stare at it long enough it looks like bengals stripes around the word mark

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow. I normally get angry about some of this Nike Adidas trash, but I couldn't even get mad. I just laughed. Sorry, Cleveland fans. You've put up with so much, and now you have this. I'm genuinely sorry. These are instantly bottom third in football, at very best. So, here's my arbitrary ranking system, including a few categories I added.

Sleeve stripes 8/10 - I wish they'd do all the way to the seam instead of cutting off and turning up. It's actually an interesting idea for football uniforms.

Numbers 4/10 - The font itself is bad, but these are mostly awful because the numbers are orange on the brown and white jerseys, which is an affront to Browns' history along with looking bad or illegible

Colors 10/10 - My desire to see a lighter brown is mostly covered by Nike's ultra-matte, faded looking materials. There's no gray anyway, so the colors are great.

Pants 1/10 - I literally can't think of a way to make the pants worse. If they had no stripes and just the wordmark? Eh, wouldn't be any less complete. This is utter garbage, and the foremost example of how Nike just couldn't stop themselves. They started this truncating pants stripes garbage in college about five years back. Just an absolutely atrocious feature, particularly when the uniforms are so heavy on stripes. Top half of the pants says NFL, bottom half says Adidas MAC school.

Helmet 8/10 - The brown facemask looks bad. The textured stripe is meh.

Socks 3/10 - They shouldn't have orange socks. Ever. That the Bengals thing, and all they should ever wear. The brown socks are going to lead to a lot of awful leotard games with the brown pants. Furthermore, with a uniform so content on STRIPES! that they put three big freaking stripes wrapping around the chest, maybe they could have seen the value of having stripes on the socks? Too much sense.

Color usage 2/10 - We're presumably getting monochrome brown at home and monochrome white on the road. Then for a bonus, we'll get head to ankle orange twice a year. Add in the orange numbers on the brown and white jerseys, and these just look bad.

Accents 3/10 - The contrasting stitching is bad in general, awful when intersecting jersey stripes, and horrible when appearing on one out of six jersey elements. The chest wordmark is amateurish in general, but even more so with the color balance of it. And of course, the chest wordmark isn't the same as the pants wordmark on the orange.

Logos 1/10 - There's no excuse for them not coming up with an actual logo.

Fit for Browns 4/10 - Literally every element is a downgrade from the previous set. They honestly look like a mid major school. Orange numbers home and road is awful. These jerseys just don't look like the Browns. They could have been a bigger departure from what the Browns should be if they came out with a Bucs/Jags hybrid, but these are still bad. The guy who said these are like the previous Bills set is dead on. Just many things going on, yet still half assed.

So, there are some respectable parts, but a lot is bad. 44/100 in my opinion.

No need to apologize most fans love the new uniforms.

Now get off my lawn!!

<p>

Nowhere near as bad as they could have been, but I see problems:

• The name on the pants
  • Monochrome Orange
  • Monochrome Brown (open season for wiseguy Steelers fans to say "Not only do you look like....you're playing like....")
  • The Brown jersey with orange numbers. They tried and failed with this 30 years ago and there isn't much difference in what they did this time around. Can they really say with a straight face that the new uniform is really better than this: $(KGrHqJ,!rQFGJWNw)bwBRl7YZE6Fg~~60_35.J?

They wore monochrome Brown the past two seasons. And this version of monochrome Brown is much, much, much better.

And the only reason they ditched the Orange numbers on Brown jersey is because it did not show up well on television.

Now with HD television and great reception it should not be an issue. The team television and lighting tests.

The Orange numbers look great in my opinion.

The Cleveland on jersey and Browns on pants a well received by fans.

I love these. Not perfect, as Nike always has these one or two elements in their redesigns that leave you scratching their heads. But overall I do think these are an upgrade over the previous set. I know the previous set had tradition an all that, but sometimes certain traditions just need to die because they aren't working. The old set looked old, not classic to me. At least the brown jersey. It looked like a team from the 60's. It wasn't a timeliness design for me like the Bears, Packers, Colts. Just my .02.

This is one interesting thing about this thread. I think we have every possible viepoint on uniforms in here. This is the first I've heard of someone who didn't consider the Browns look a classic who wasn't a "there are no classics" type.

Not criticizing you. Just observing an example of a new opinion on uniforms I encountered on this threads.

My only disagreement with you is that, in my opinion, tradition always works and is better because it is tradition.

I have theories as to why I think this way, but won't go into them (would involve talking politics and religion).

Funny, I'm kinda the opposite. While I understand the value of tradition, I've learned from personal experience that holding on to tradition for tradition's sake alone often leads to constant stupidity, repeated mistakes, stagnation, then death. I prefer to aim for a balance between the traditional and modern extremes, and look at everything, new and old, with a critical eye. Nothing's perfect, nothing's sacred and thus forever set in stone. Things need a reason to exist, and "just because" is often a terrible reason. And there's way too much "just because" going around in sports design today IMO, on both modern and traditional ends of the spectrum.

This is exactly what I was getting at. Holding onto tradition just for the sake of tradition with no other reason than "it's always been this way" is just tiresome for me.

"Browns" on the pants . . . in large letters . . . on both legs . . . as a stripe . . . running in opposite directions on the left and right legs. That pretty much killed any hope of me liking these.

Pros --

The helmet looks pretty good (though I will admit I haven't looked at the real closeup shots).

Number font and drop shadows (because I am a sucker for drop shadows).

Choice of sticking solely with brown, white and orange.

Cons --

PANTS -- see above.

Contrast stitching on the brown jersey.

Orange numbers on the white jersey.

Orange numbers on the brown jersey.

The strong possibility (likelihood?) of orange and/or brown monochrome.

Large "Cleveland" wordmark on all jerseys (which, as many have said, looks like something you'd see on a high school jersey).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Best combos per jersey...

Orange jersey with white pants

Brown jersey with orange pants

White jersey with orange pants

I also like the white jersey with white pants

The brown pants just don't look good with any jersey. They're okay with the brown jersey but meh. I like the 4 combos I posted. The other 5...no thanks!

Best 3 combos here!

CCl5WGtW4AA15_q.jpg

CHIEFS - BLUE JACKETS - CARDINALS

Archived