New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think more teams should adopt helmet logos that contradict the color in their team name:

SYRACUSE

ORANGE

dark-blue-football-helmet-md.png

Syracuse could do that.

0UULHl7.jpg

That's the joke. But apparently the Cleveland OrangeBrowns don't understand that.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

How about a shield/crest. On the city of Cleveland flag there is a crest. Use this crest shape. Have and inter locking CB on in and the striping used on the helmet incorporated into it.

It would be somewhat unique in that they would be only one of two NFL teams to use a Crest as a primary logo. The other being the Raiders.

On one hand, I am very happy the helmet didn't receive any absurd changes.

On the other hand, I am extremely bummed out that the Browns didn't use this opportunity to design an actual logo to represent the team. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Again, what do you use to represent a team named the Browns, and don't tell me its a goddamn bulldog, that thing doesn't even represent the entire fanbase.

I think more teams should adopt helmet logos that contradict the color in their team name:

SYRACUSE

ORANGE

dark-blue-football-helmet-md.png

Syracuse could do that.

0UULHl7.jpg

That's the joke. But apparently the Cleveland OrangeBrowns don't understand that.

No, what people don't get is that the Browns are not named for the color.

Syracuse could do that.

You'd think after a million times mentioning it here, people would get it...

Syracuse could do that.

Exactly, the legend is the Browns used brown as a camo for the ball. Has nothing to do with the team name as far as the stories go.

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd be fine if they used a bulldog for a logo. Nobody gripes that the Alabama Crimson Tide uses an elephant for their logo. The Reds use a guy with a baseball for its head as their logo and nobody blinks. Maybe the Browns should use a running football headed guy as their primary. Maybe they should use Hey Arnold :upside::oops: .

When your nickname deals in the abstract you have to stretch the boundaries of where you're willing to go to find a logo that represents the team. That a few of the fans are called the Dawg Pound and that most Browns fans I know have barked once or twice during a game are good enough connections for me.

I've always liked this logo and it's way better than the new dog. I would've loved if they had used this as their primary logo

cleveland_browns_dawg1.png

At this point I just want them to have a logo. There was a time when the Rams, Bengals, Chargers, and Browns all used helmets as their primary logo at the same time, but it feels less acceptable with each passing year to not have a real logo. Even an interlocking CB would be preferable.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree. That logo was much better than the one that replaced it. Anyway, I'd have no issue with them using a dog as the primary with the name being Browns.

The St. Louis Blues can be disregarded because of the musical style. The Cincinnati Reds name doesn't represent anything other than a color, so they've used a few different baseball men as logos in addition to a letter/wordmark logo. "Browns" is completely abstract outside of a breakfast side dish, so it's okay to use some imagery for a logo. Using that dog head doesn't make them the Cleveland Dogs... sorry, Dawgs. It's sure as hell better than using a freaking helmet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Syracuse could do that.

Exactly, the legend is the Browns used brown as a camo for the ball. Has nothing to do with the team name as far as the stories go.
Nailed it.

Looking at the 2D version doesn't really translate the same because it's a different logo altogether.. You can't really argue that it's just a different angle of the same logo, because they're both 2D.. Anyway, I digress..

I wasn't pointing that out to be argumentative.. I was basically trying to give validity to the comment that it's a generic, stock helmet logo that isn't brand-specific. I think it's easy enough to argue either way, but with the obvious schutt-style facemask and lack of raised center crown strip, this could justifiably be identified as any of a number of classic helmet models. I think that's the basic point others have tried to make here as a reason to not update the helmet model in the logo update. I was just pointing out several clues that would suggest there are as many subtleties in the classic helmet logo that would point away from riddell as the ones that would point towards riddell..

Except it's not generic. It may not be exact (artistic license) but the graphic is clearly based off a riddell mask & helmet. The only reason why you think it's generic is because the riddell vsr4 was the most commonly worn helmet for 20+ years so it effectively became the default image that artists used. The mask was also clearly riddell. The shell shape on the underside that runs from the jaw to ear to neck is also clearly riddell, when compared to the smooth angular lines of a schutt shell from the era.

Compare David Archer (riddell) of the Sac Surge to Troy Aikman (schutt/bike) Ucla and it's not even close.

Archer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gumballking/5403274116/in/set-72157625942616192

Aikman: http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/AL/ALHVWCSQWGJSCPK.20131114054100.jpg

If you take some time to actually scrutinize the two images, there's really no doubt.

Bottom line that helmet graphic is a relic of an ugly 80's helmet style. If they truly wanted to go with a generic helmet they should go back another two decades or so.

You are absolutely correct. I think to the untrained eye, they look the same. But you are so on target with that "ugly 80's" style. The slant of the cage near the earhole is just disturbing to me. I agree that they should have updated the facemask years ago. Even when the Browns went to grey a few years back, they could have done it then. I get that the new Riddell revolution is more prevalent, but I prefer the old Riddell/Schutt helmet, but with Brady/Rogers facemask. Although I can't find an example on NFL.com, during the season the weekly match ups have helmets. They are a perfect representation of the correct facemask. Actually, this is what it usually looks like: http://www.clipartpanda.com/clipart_images/new-york-giants-nfl-football-48919645

How about a shield/crest. On the city of Cleveland flag there is a crest. Use this crest shape. Have and inter locking CB on in and the striping used on the helmet incorporated into it.

It would be somewhat unique in that they would be only one of two NFL teams to use a Crest as a primary logo. The other being the Raiders.

Like this?

ptT8Qzt.png

I almost feel like there should be a disclaimer thread stating that the Browns are named after Paul Brown.

Apparently there's some debate about that? Anyway, see my post earlier:

There's not a lot you can do with "Browns", but all that name really represents is the professional football team that plays in Cleveland...and the dog which represents the reason that team exists(the fans) would be perfect as the primary logo. The fans/team literally developed their own identity in unison with the dog/colors over the years.

If they were indeed named after the coach then he's well represented in the name and the use of the color brown. They need something iconic like the Packers logo, or something tangible like the dog.

Archived