New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they wanted to give the Browns a proprietary font because apparently you can't just use block fonts anymore, but they also didn't want to stray too far from the block numbers. The result is you end up with sort of block, sort of not nonsense. It's a custom font for custom font's sake.

Of course there is a chance that those are not the numbers that appear on the jerseys.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also, those numbers, like the wordmark, are horrible and a complete time capsule of mid-'10s. They'll look horribly dated in three years.

How do you figure? The font is still a basic block font, with just a little bit of character. I would argue that it will look less dated compared to the recent trends since 2000. A few that come to mind:

• Arizona - Basic block fonts, but with pointed serifs
  • Atlanta - Basic block fonts, but with pointed serifs
  • Baltimore - Their entire font
  • Carolina - Their entire font
  • Detroit - Italic, rounded, weird interior serifs
  • Jacksonville - Their entire font
  • Miami - Their new Miami Vice font
  • New England - Pointed serifs in the middle of the letters
  • Philadelphia - Their nonsense wordmark
  • Tampa Bay - Arena league font, but works with their nickname
  • Tennessee - Bevel, half rounded half block

This list doesn't include Denver or Kansas City, which are debatable. Kansas City looks incredibly dated with the italic block... but I wouldn't say its terrible. Oakland and New York (G) also look dated, but just because they are older, people accept them for being something better than what they are. I would contend that those fonts are all way more a victim of the times compared to the new Browns font.

Specifically the "Hey, it's a rounded block font except for these random angles we place arbitrarily." None of the wordmarks you mentioned are in discussion for datedness. Carolina's old font would have been (although I loved it), but a '90s font made sense for them since they started play in the '90s.

BUT they WILL become dated. They are all victims of the time, like you are claiming the Browns new font is. The Browns font is the least egregious of the aforementioned.

Also, can someone explain the disdain for proprietary fonts? I don't understand it. As long as they are done correctly and aren't just some crazy font consisting of rounded numbers, with interior pointed serifs, italicized... what is the issue? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers font is terrible... I get it. But I feel like the Michigan State Spartans font, though it has pointy serifs, it fits with the teams identity and isn't outlandish.

I look at the Vikings font, and I think if they would have just mirrored the ship sail to both numbers, they would have added a fantastic element to the uniform. This Browns font is a fairly basic block font, with a little bit of character.

I feel like the custom fonts (as long as done properly) enhance a uniform and add just enough character to traditional uniforms.

I disagree on both points. I think the Browns font is more of a time capsule than the others, and I also think that a good font doesn't have to be easily dated.

But how? Block fonts are considered timeless. Whether its a basic block or a basic block with a serif. So how does a basic block, with barely any changes become a time capsule? Just because its custom? That's hardly a logical or concrete reason.

9d65fdcfc9ed666de448a48cfbbc4b02.jpg

That font is very similar to the Vikings' (right digit only, of course)... sharp corners on the interior, rounded corners on the outside.

13_MIN.png

adrian-jersey-close.jpg

First thing that came to mind when I saw that. A nice font though imo. Goes well with the wordmark. Wouldn't mind if that's what they end up going with.

My apologies if this has already been addressed and answered...I went back twenty pages and didn't see anything about it. Noticed a picture on the Brown's website, and wondered if the jersey on the far right is a fashion jersey, or a possible accidental reveal of the new jersey? I clicked on it and scrolled through all of the featured jerseys, but didn't see it anywhere. I confess, I am clueless about how to attach an image to my post. Tried my darndest, but couldn't figure it out. Here is a link to the picture I'm talking about...maybe someone else knows how to post it?

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/simgad/1674903927148075547

I disagree on both points. I think the Browns font is more of a time capsule than the others, and I also think that a good font doesn't have to be easily dated.

But how? Block fonts are considered timeless. Whether its a basic block or a basic block with a serif. So how does a basic block, with barely any changes become a time capsule? Just because its custom? That's hardly a logical or concrete reason.

Because of the awful contrived elements. They combined a rounded block font with random sharp angles. It doesn't look good, and there's no reason as to why there should be random angles there. It's almost like they took a rounded font they found online and cut parts off to make it theirs. Also, because that's what so many other random crappy fonts have done over the last two years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'll throw this here since it's NFL-related:

CBS Sports has been on a logo kick lately with multiple posts on crazy concept helmets and of course the Browns, but they just basically went to the mothership team pages and snagged some screenshots for this one.

Most drastic NFL logo changes:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25084297/look-5-most-dramatic-logo-changes-in-nfl-history

At least they gave credit and a link to sportslogos.net. Logos and concepts must be generating good traffic for them.

Related but slightly off-topic:

When is it considered proper to use the term 'dawg' instead of the word 'dog'?

One should use "dawg" only when being dope or denoting that which is kewl.

Crap. I am always being dope. I guess I'll be using "dawg" a lot more now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm a Bengals fan, so I have major uni problems of my own, but seeing the Hoyer article today on ESPN in the previous unis, even in the brown pants, makes me wary of the changes. I've always liked the Browns' look, including the shade of orange they used. Blue collar, lunchpail look. Now, I fear something that won't fit their persona, even though that persona is based on their very successful past, not their miserable present.

The recent major changes have been so hit or miss, in my opinion:

Seahawks: fits city, region, current team persona, won a Super Bowl in them so they're sticking around

Dolphins: fine but not enough orange

Vikings: vast improvement but the number font a little much

Bucs: "Let's make a mockery of everything we've tried to establish as a franchise the past two decades. Okay, go!"

Jags: "Please notice that I exist."

Bills: (Perfection + Unnecessary navy for merchandising) / 2 = Still pretty much perfection

Browns: TBA

Because of the awful contrived elements. They combined a rounded block font with random sharp angles. It doesn't look good, and there's no reason as to why there should be random angles there. It's almost like they took a rounded font they found online and cut parts off to make it theirs. Also, because that's what so many other random crappy fonts have done over the last two years.

The sharp points and round parts aren't so random.. They're essentially sharp in the right places and round/smooth in the right places.. Basically like a block version of how we learned to write letters in kindergarten.. I agree with most of the other ones, but the Browns new font is anything but random and they have no awful contrived elements imo.. I mean, I'm not the biggest fan in the world of it, but that's just because it's plain and boring, but it definitely fits the Browns and I don't really anything to complain about with it.. It's pretty straight forward

You keep saying random angles yet they are in the same place on every number. They are inspired by the rounded, then pointy viking horn on their helmet. I think the font looks great and fits the team well.

Archived