New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

If the Jags just got rid of the goofy helmet, I'd be ok with them. I think it should be black, though because there's just not enough gold in the rest of the uniform. It would look awkward, but still better than what they have now.

The Bucs are a total disaster. The pewter on the jerseys and pants is flat, so it comes off looking brown. Pewter by definition is metallic, so that should be represented in the uniform. The helmet is metallic, but the jersey and pants are not. It's a total mismatch. If they had just made the pewter on the pants and jersey match the helmet, it would look a lot better. There's nothing good about the numbers. I don't know how anyone could look at them and think they look good.

So based on those two recent updates, I fully expect the Browns to be a trainwreck.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bucs are a total disaster. The pewter on the jerseys and pants is flat, so it comes off looking brown. Pewter by definition is metallic, so that should be represented in the uniform. The helmet is metallic, but the jersey and pants are not. It's a total mismatch. If they had just made the pewter on the pants and jersey match the helmet, it would look a lot better. There's nothing good about the numbers. I don't know how anyone could look at them and think they look good.

Agreed

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Agreed

Double agreed. And they called extra attention to the fact that the jersey/pant pewter is so far off from the helmet by having that giant slab o' brown in the form of the yoke right next to the helmet.

In an attempt to get back on topic....we are 17 days away from seeing what the Browns release so will they be in Camp A - Modern (Jags, Bucs, Seahawks) or Camp B - Simple (Vikings, Dolphins) in terms of their helmet/jersey redesign ? Hopefully it is Camp B to even out the modern/simple thing Nike seems to have going on

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Well I guess I might as well give my Nike redesign review:

Seahawks: Meh. I don't really mind the Seahawks being sort of an out there looking team, but these uniforms are underwhelming. The color scheme is alright, I do like minimal use of neon green and although I liked it when they first got rid of it I'm starting to realize how dull the slate blue from their last set was. Still there are problems. The striping or whatever you wanna call it on the uniforms is completely underwhelming. The number font isn't all that good. The feather pattern is way to overused. It looks awful on the helmets (why do the Seahawks need a helmet stripe???) I think using it as shoulder and pant striping would be good and actually look cool, but as is it's a little much. And I hate how none of the pants have all three colors on them, they all eliminate one for some reason. Also the monochrome needs to stop. I think may be allowed to own monochrome in the NFL, but Seahawks looks much better with navy on grey.

Grade: C Downgrade from previous set (which was a B+)

Dolphins: The new aqua looks amazing. That's it. The number font is ugly, the other colors are barely noticeable, the new logo doesn't fit a football team at all and looks pretty awkward, and the tiny logos on the sleeves look awful. Also the wordmarks are mediocre at best, I hate that they almost never wear aqua (though that's not a new problem), and it really pisses me off that they got rid of the beautiful aqua facemasks for boring ass white.

Grade: D Downgrade from previous set (which was a C)

Jaguars: I literally still can't believe the helmet. The cheap black to gold gradient looks so bad and amateurish, it looks like something that would be laughed off the concepts forum. Speaking of concepts, that's what I though the new logo was when I first saw it. It's just looks cartoonish and while not badly rendered, it doesn't look professional to me. Some people say their uniforms are good from the neck down, I disagree. I hate the stupid plasticky looking crap on the sleeves. The pant stripes are awful templated looking garbage that doesn't even go down the pants. Changing from teal to black as the main color was criminal. It's also really stupid that they actually have "Jags" on their front chest logo, nicknames on a pro uniform? Seriously? Still I guess the home and road uniforms themselves aren't completely atrocious. The number font is the only one of Nike's that don't suck. However the teal uniform is completely horrible by breaking a cardinals in of football uniforms: NEVER have your numbers be darker than your uniform color. Truth be told colored numbers in general are a risk, but that design choice is essentially a death sentence to the uniform looking good.

Grade: D- Downgrade from previous set (which was a D+)

Vikings: The best Nike redesign by far, but that's not saying much. Now they completely ruined the helmet (the matte finish muddles the looks of it and the black facemask is so wrong), and the mismatched numbers look hedious, but besides that things are pretty good. When there's no wings on the numbers the set looks really good from the neck down. The color scheme is now gorgeous (if there's one thing often Nike does right, it's color schemes) The sleeve stripes (hey remember those?) are great and convey the team name without looking ridiculous. I'm generally not a fan of wordmarks above numbers, but in this case it looks great. The pant stripes look great too, very sharp. It does bug me that the stripes on the white uniform are yellow-white-purple, it's inferior looking to the pant stripe order and the yellow kinda gets lost, but it's not a huge deal. Mainly because the white pants aren't paired with the white uniforms anymore (I believe they haven't worn that combo in the regular season yet?) The purple pants on the road look awesome! There are definently some problems preventing this set from being awesome, but by Nike NFL standards it's incredible.

Grade: B Upgrade from previous set (which was a C-)

Buccaneers: F*** these uniforms. This redesign made me hate the Bucs and hope they never accomplish anything significant every again. The number font is the worst thing ever. It looks like a deformed alarm clock font, and that's before even mentioning the reflective crap and ten million outlines. The helmet is stupid. Yeah let's zoom it up so you can barely see the coolest part of the logo (the sword handle) The logo as a whole was seriously downgraded, it went from whethered and piratey to just...bleh. The shoulder yoke is just a rip-off the Titans. The pant stripe is the same garbage the Jaguars used! Why would you use that hideous garbage AGAIN!?! The red and pewter look awful touching each other, they need to be separate from each other like in the old set. They managed to make the set look even worse somehow by breaking out of place orange socks out sometime (for the love of God Bucs, you couldn't even not screw up the socks!?!) Having two different shoulder logos looks ridiculous. Admittedly the boat logo isn't too bad, though it is over-detailed, but the other side has...a wordmark? With the team's NICKNAME??? AAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Worst uniforms of any sport ever.

Grade: F (only because I don't think F- is a real mark) Huge, massive, unspeakably humongous, Grand Canyon-sized downgrade from their previous set (which was an A-, and a modern classic)

So as you can see, I don't like Nike and I am almost certain they'll pull at least some atrocious nonsense with the new Browns. When they weren't wearing the terrible brown leotards they were arguably the best looking team in the league. Nike's only done one passable set (the Vikings), and even it has some big problems and are over a full mark lower than what the Browns were wearing. Overall Nike's producing D-grade uniforms, and have produced some of the worst things (Jaguars' helmets, Buccaneers' everything) I've ever seen designed. Also their one somewhat strength, color schemes, won't even apply as by the sounds of things their gonna muddle the Browns' colors up by adding silver for not reason.

R.I.P. NFL aesthetics. A few teams will continue to respect their identity enough not to hand it over to the idiots at Nike, but I don't think we'll ever see a great new NFL uniform again until Nike's reign of terror ever ends (if it ever does), or they actually get their s*** together (doubtful as fans seem to be eating up this garbage regardless of how it looks)

nobody is going to read that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

All of the Nike updates have been garbage, save for the Vikings. Even they have ridiculous elements shoehorned in there, like pants striping that doesn't match the sleeve striping, flared sleeve stripes, and really tacky gimmicky numbers. The Vikings still look amazing. Partially because the team probably had a clear vision of what they wanted and kept Nike on a short leash and partially because the Reebok disasters were so bad there was really nowhere to go but up.

Everyone else? Awful.

In an attempt to get back on topic....we are 17 days away from seeing what the Browns release so will they be in Camp A - Modern (Jags, Bucs, Seahawks) or Camp B - Simple (Vikings, Dolphins) in terms of their helmet/jersey redesign ? Hopefully it is Camp B to even out the modern/simple thing Nike seems to have going on

The Browns have basically said that the uniforms are gonna be wild and crazy. At this point, a simple Vikings-style uniform would shock me more than clear side panels.

If a team wanted to go back to a prior uniform or go with a new traditional/clean look (or just had an exact design they wanted to change to in mind already) could they tell Nike "here's what we want, just make it to spec" or do teams no longer have the right to have uniforms made to spec if they abandon the unis they had the last year of the Reebok deal?

I know they can refuse what Nike designs for them and ask them to go back to the drawing board but I was wondering if they have anything more than refusal rights for what Nike designs.

Since we have already Bucjacked and Jagjacked this thread, I don't see why I can't say this...

The Jags should emphasize the gold. I'm not sure how, but NO ONE else in the NFL has that color (Saints are kinda close with their alternate). I just don't see why Jax doesn't make gold their primary, black the secondary and teal as the supporting third like it already is in the logo. All black helment. Thus Black-gold-black and Black-white-black become the uniforms combos with Black-black-white or Black-black-gold as the alternate. No craziness, except use a jaguar-like spotted striping pattern where it would be relevant (neckline, pants stripe). Keep it simple.

The Bucs colors are good, but they need to blow up the unis and go back to the prior set. Problem solved.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Since we have already Bucjacked and Jagjacked this thread, I don't see why I can't say this...

The Jags should emphasize the gold. I'm not sure how, but NO ONE else in the NFL has that color (Saints are kinda close with their alternate). I just don't see why Jax doesn't make gold their primary, black the secondary and teal as the supporting third like it already is in the logo. All black helment. Thus Black-gold-black and Black-white-black become the uniforms combos with Black-black-white or Black-black-gold as the alternate. No craziness, except use a jaguar-like spotted striping pattern where it would be relevant (neckline, pants stripe). Keep it simple.

The Bucs colors are good, but they need to blow up the unis and go back to the prior set. Problem solved.

First - what Saints alternate are you talking about?

Second - the Jags need more teal than they need black and gold. Black helmet yes...but no on the heavy black and gold.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I read the whole thing and was caught off-guard by that ethnic slur
Wanna elaborate? I've just gone over that post a few times (it's been a chore due to the poor formatting) and I don't see any ethnic slurs.

Wanna elaborate? I've just gone over that post a few times (it's been a chore due to the poor formatting) and I don't see any ethnic slurs.

Haha it was a joke. I just totally got you to read that whole thing for no reason. im sorry thats just my sense of humor

5163533000_8bc349fb94_z.jpg

This is the Saints alternate I was talking about earlier. I think it is too light of a gold for the Jaguars. But with the Jaguars two-tone gold(s), and white numbers with teal & black trim, it could work. And it's just my opinion, but I never understood why the gold can't be the Jags primary color as it's the natural color of a jaguar in many cases.

This one here doesn't work for obvious reasons.....

nike_saints_1422.jpg

...but it does give you the idea of what a jaguar-esque side panel would look like in terms of color if not the pattern.

Ironically...this jersey might actually match the Jags helmet:

Nike-New-Orleans-Saints-80-Women-s-Jimmy

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Haha it was a joke. I just totally got you to read that whole thing for no reason. im sorry thats just my sense of humor
*slow clap*

Well played sir. Well played.

This is the Saints alternate I was talking about earlier.

That's a Photoshop. Saints have never worn that uniform. Check out Reggie's teammates wearing white jerseys with black pants on the sidelines.

I think the last time they wore a gold alternate (but not that one^^) was about 12 years ago against the Vikings.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

*slow clap*

Well played sir. Well played.

Thanks Ice

This is the Saints alternate I was talking about earlier.

That's a Photoshop. Saints have never worn that uniform. Check out Reggie's teammates wearing white jerseys with black pants on the sidelines.

I think the last time they wore a gold alternate (but not that one^^) was about 12 years ago against the Vikings.

Saints+2002.jpg

defensejpg-24c537aa9150cfe8_large.jpg

04.jpg

Apparently, somebody decided it wasn't dark enough to function as a true home (dark) jersey, and the Vikings were asked to wear purple.

Its a bad look IMO... if you want gold to work as a home jersey, try this shade from Georgia Tech...

CalvinJohnson.jpg

Archived