New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

I guess it doesn't matter that the vast majority of Browns fans like the uniform as it is. Nope. We need to please a bunch of people who will look at the disaster that will be the new uniform, masturbate to how awesomely modern it is, and then move along to the next team that's changing. And we'll be stuck with a :censored:-ing clown suit that we didn't want in the first place.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it doesn't matter that the vast majority of Browns fans like the uniform as it is. Nope. We need to please a bunch of people who will look at the disaster that will be the new uniform, masturbate to how awesomely modern it is, and then move along to the next team that's changing. And we'll be stuck with a :censored:-ing clown suit that we didn't want in the first place.

I'm getting a feeling that Browns management is listening to their players more. It's especially ironic that these are Browns players. You know, players who will out of Cleveland quicker than your average NFL team.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

That's how I feel about this. When you have a fanbase as staunchly loyal as the Browns' fanbase, you do what they say. You consult them, you keep them in the loop, you keep any "upgrades" as low-key and respectful as possible. Yeah, the Browns are a laughingstock to most, but why would you risk offending the people who are actually buying the tickets and actively supporting the franchise by trying to be "cutting-edge?" I mean, these fans raised holy hell to keep the Browns. Does it even matter what the rest of the nation thinks?

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

More from Alec Scheiner:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140321/BLOGS06/140329954?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1#ATHS

Some highlights:

“It's funny. There is a dynamic whenever any new uniform comes out that people don't like it,” Scheiner said. “The NFL actually explained this to us. You just need to let it settle and give it a couple weeks, then see it on the field and make your decision.
“I remember last year when Miami came out with their logo and their new uniform, I think the initial reaction was negative, but quickly people got used to it,” Scheiner continued. “Now when you compare it to the old one, you can see it's actually a nice step. So I reserve judgment (on the Buccaneers) because I know a year from now, we'll be in this position. And you hope the initial reaction will be positive, but you never know.”

So basically, the NFL tells teams if the fans hate your uniforms, don't worry they'll get over it and buy the merch.

The guy heading this up likes the Dolphins and is open to liking the Buccs. The Browns are screwed. This is going to be bad.

More from Alec Scheiner:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20140321/BLOGS06/140329954?template=mobile&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1#ATHS

Some highlights:

“It's funny. There is a dynamic whenever any new uniform comes out that people don't like it,” Scheiner said. “The NFL actually explained this to us. You just need to let it settle and give it a couple weeks, then see it on the field and make your decision.
“I remember last year when Miami came out with their logo and their new uniform, I think the initial reaction was negative, but quickly people got used to it,” Scheiner continued. “Now when you compare it to the old one, you can see it's actually a nice step. So I reserve judgment (on the Buccaneers) because I know a year from now, we'll be in this position. And you hope the initial reaction will be positive, but you never know.”

So basically, the NFL tells teams if the fans hate your uniforms, don't worry they'll get over it and buy the merch.

The guy heading this up likes the Dolphins and is open to liking the Buccs. The Browns are screwed. This is going to be bad.

As much as design by committee/focus group frequently ends in disaster and I would never solicit fan input during the design process as all it can do is muck up the process. What is also annoying though is the sheer arrogance of the league/properties rep thinking that they ultimately know better and that negative feedback can somehow be dismissed. Sure the intense fervor may die down and fans/consumers may settle into the new design but I guarantee that a harsh initial negative reaction like the fins or bucs will ultimately result in below average merch sales once the newness wears off. Maybe this is by design though as it obviously calls for yet another redesign to jumpstart sales of a stale and mediocre identity.

Dolphins are a bad example to use. They had an outdated 90's design, and upgraded to a more modern look. The Bucs took a classic uniform (logos are a little dated, but had character) and turned them into super modern trash.

I think the dolphins are a great example of taking something that needed an update but got so overworked into blandness that it ended up being a downgrade and like the bucs will eventually result in lackluster merch sales over the long term.

Wasn't the consensus on here when the Seahawks new uniforms came out that they, too, were a train wreck? I'm pretty sure the sentiment has turned around on that one, too.

This is going to be part of the problem. Because the Seahawks are a great team, they are selling a ton of jerseys (3 of the top 10 sellers, I believe). This will help convince teams that change to a radical design is a good idea.

Wasn't the consensus on here when the Seahawks new uniforms came out that they, too, were a train wreck? I'm pretty sure the sentiment has turned around on that one, too.

This is going to be part of the problem. Because the Seahawks are a great team, they are selling a ton of jerseys (3 of the top 10 sellers, I believe). This will help convince teams that change to a radical design is a good idea.

Exactly. Just like fame and/or a huge bank account makes an ugly man more attractive to some women, winning a Superbowl certainly can take the edge off an ugly uniform. But all the reasons that the Seahawks' redesign is an over-designed mess are still there. In other words, they're still train wrecks... just train wrecks backed with on-field success.

Honestly, if the Lions can win a Super Bowl, I wouldnt care if they were dressed like Hello Kitty.

Dolphins are a bad example to use. They had an outdated 90's design, and upgraded to a more modern look. The Bucs took a classic uniform (logos are a little dated, but had character) and turned them into super modern trash.

I think the dolphins are a great example of taking something that needed an update but got so overworked into blandness that it ended up being a downgrade and like the bucs will eventually result in lackluster merch sales over the long term.

I would disagree. I see the Dolphins being a great example of using design restraint and of quality over quantity. Theirs is a much more timeless look. It shows a strong person at the top with good design sense that can be comfortable not chasing the trends of the day.

Or is the issue that most of us are too quick to judge? I contend it's a heavy dose of both.

I would say it was mixed, with the edge on the side of hated it. I think it was far from a consensus though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would disagree. I see the Dolphins being a great example of using design restraint and of quality over quantity. Theirs is a much more timeless look. It shows a strong person at the top with good design sense that can be comfortable not chasing the trends of the day.

Do you happen to be the designer? You sound like you are shilling for your own work.

I think people stomach the Seahawks uniforms because at this point it is expected for them to be the Oregon of the NFL. While that works for them, it's the copycat teams that want a piece of the crazy Nike uniform pie that ruin things.

Do you happen to be the designer? You sound like you are shilling for your own work.

Ha, no. Just a design professional who also teaches design at the university level. I'm always looking to real world examples of good vs bad design and thought the Dolphins/Bucs would be a perfect example to show the class. Dolphins are well designed and much more timeless than the "of the moment" and trendy, overdesigned Bucs.

Ha, no. Just a design professional who also teaches design at the university level. I'm always looking to real world examples of good vs bad design and thought the Dolphins/Bucs would be a perfect example to show the class. Dolphins are well designed and much more timeless than the "of the moment" and trendy, overdesigned Bucs.

While not as gaudy as the bucs or jags the fins uniforms are pretty trendy. The redesigned logo is essentially the same artistic style of the marlins redesign and the uniform redesign screams college white out nfl style.

While not as gaudy as the bucs or jags the fins uniforms are pretty trendy. The redesigned logo is essentially the same artistic style of the marlins redesign and the uniform redesign screams college white out nfl style.

not really when you consider they have worn white at home for such a long time.

not really when you consider they have worn white at home for such a long time.

I'm quite aware of their history in all white. The minimalism of the thinned out stripes, near removal of orange, and swapping an aqua mask for white is very trendy made popular in cfb.

Archived