New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

This is a massive upgrade. The new orange really pops and the stitching is a brilliant detail. Orange numbers are okay but I'd love to have it paired with a white wordmark and a white NOB on the brown jersey. Overall these are the best new NFL uniforms since the 1996 Patriots set.

I agree.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Bengals fan so I have my own uni problems, but these changes make me really miss the old Browns uniforms. Old as in last year's. I even like the previous shade of orange better. These changes aren't horrendous, in my opinion, but they look kind of like they belong in a movie. Know what I mean? They just don't look like they fit in the NFL to me. The previous set did.

Considering the uniform this is replacing, it couldn't help but be a downgrade. The minute the Browns said they were changing the uniform, it was a downgrade by definition.

Ho

I do not understand uniform traditionalists. Maybe it's because i'm a designer by trade... I don't really know, but one thing is for sure, the Seahawks have the best new Nike uniforms by far. No one else even comes close. To me, the Browns didn't take this uniform redesign far enough.

Considering the uniform this is replacing, it couldn't help but be a downgrade. The minute the Browns said they were changing the uniform, it was a downgrade by definition.

Ho

I do not understand uniform traditionalists. Maybe it's because i'm a designer by trade... I don't really know, but one thing is for sure, the Seahawks have the best new Nike uniforms by far. No one else even comes close. To me, the Browns didn't take this uniform redesign far enough.

You're not fooling us, we know that you're the head designer at Nike. :P

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Like the orange tops - especially with white pants. It is kind of pointless to talk about 9 combinations - most they can wear in a season is eight, due to the two-time per season limit on alt jerseys. The Seahawks demo'd nine combos, but only wore six. They have never worn:

Gray top - Blue pants

Gray top - white pants (good thing they have never worn this)

Blue top - white pants (too bad they have never worn this)

I hope orange is primary, and the brown is never worn with brown pants. They will probably wear white at home 4-5 times a year anyway.

In all seriousness, if they must change they went pretty reserved for a Nike overhaul. The Buccaneers these are not. I was afraid they were gonna be a slash and burn job. Turns out it's just a pointless downgrade.

Pretty much. There are aspects of each jersey that I like but none of the three add up to what I'd call a good look. It's been said about eleventy billion times now but I'll say it again - it could have been much worse. Anyway...

Pros:

• The brown looks darker in the pictures. If it is, that's a plus
  • The new shade of orange is an upgrade.
  • Orange pants coming back - reserving final judgement until I see them
  • Orange jersey is a nice touch - as long as it's an alt.

Cons:

• Cleveland on the jerseys - welcome to Ohio High School football
  • Orange numbers - might have worked better with some sort of outline
  • Sleeve stripes need to either become shoulder stripes or move down a few degrees and become sleeve stripes. They're half pregnant as is.
  • Number font isn't awful but it's hardly great
  • Number shadows
  • Brown pants
  • Brown facemask

Overall: A perfect look - if you're Midpark High School in Ohio.

midparks-jason-mccombsjpg-f120888a33e66b

Not even close.

You're sharp, aren't you? Not many people noticed that. :rolleyes: The point was that the Browns now resemble a high school team, Einstein.

BB52Big.jpg

This is bad. First the "new logo." The dog in the dawg pound logo just floating in orange space is pretty bad, and it's not really a "logo."

The uniforms - why the big Cleveland? Will fans/opponents/viewers not know that that's the Browns (only team in the league with brown and orange)?

It looks super collegiate/high school. I think minus the wordmark, the haphazard shadow effect on the numbers and the abrupt random stoppage of the shoulder stripes, this could be a good uniform. I'm not expecting much from the pants or the helmet.

Oh..the stitching. Adding insult to injury.

Ho

scsc.gif

Yeahhhh, no. The old uniform set was an increasingly awkward attempt to force a design from the era of Durene jerseys with long floppy sleeves into modern templates that just aren't suited for that many stripes.

Now, you could argue that the templates are the problem, and that may be the case, but in reality, uniforms have always evolved over time to fit the needs of the players; otherwise, they'd still be wearing leather helmets and oddly-fitting wool sweaters. Just like how the blocky stripe-filled designs of the 1920s fell out of use as uniform technology evolved, so should the big-ass Braisher sleeve stripes from the 1960s.

IMO, this uniform set is a slight upgrade - get rid of the lame contrast stitching and the shadowed numbers and it's a major upgrade.

How come no one is talking about that number font (other than to complain about the shadow)? I'm not a fan of this tendency to take a standard block font, needlessly tweak it slightly, and call it custom. Either design a new font, or stick with a block... vaguely shaving the angles does nothing for me.

I fail to see how this is any different from, say, the Champion number font that seems to be popular here. Or bog-standard serif numbers. Both are really just minor variations on a basic block font, just like the Browns' new font.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Here's how I understand it re: the Browns wearing brown:

Paul Brown wanted something close to the Massillon Washington high school colors (he had coached there before getting the Ohio State job) but not exactly the same (he would end up using the same color and a similar nickname - Massillon Washington is the Tigers - for the Bengals). He saw Bowling Green's mix of brown and orange and decided it would be a good color scheme (not sure if BGSU used the dark brown or if he changed the shade to be a little closer to Massillon Washington's black).

I'm not seeing how this could be considered "bad". "Not as good as the classic look" yes, but not "bad" by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, as far as "modern" looks come, this is as tame as it gets. If this can be considered a "bad" look, then the world of design is in a sorry state, with absolutely no hope of ever improving.*

*I reserve the right to change my opinion if the pants are a car wreck

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

How come no one is talking about that number font (other than to complain about the shadow)? I'm not a fan of this tendency to take a standard block font, needlessly tweak it slightly, and call it custom. Either design a new font, or stick with a block... vaguely shaving the angles does nothing for me.

Agreed on the first point.

I'm not complaining about the number font because I can barely notice the difference.

Also, given the NFL and Nike looking to have copyrightable fonts, don't be surprised if even the traditional teams like the Giants and the Packers have to go to slightly modified fonts soon (by the end of the decade). No other changes to the uniforms, just the font.

How could a team called the Browns not have a brown uniform? So strange....

Because they're not named after the color they're named after a guy. The color is purely coincidental IMO.

Stop.

As I have said earlier, the reason they have brown is because Paul Brown was a master strategist and he wanted the ball to blend in with the uniforms. Well that's how the legend goes anyway.

I thought they started wearing it because their original uniforms were Bowling Green hand-me-downs? Which is ironic considering Nike has them going to some nu-millennial college crap and orange jerseys, much like Bowling Green.

What if Bowling Green rolls out in last year's Browns uniforms?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ho

Opinion_definition.png

In all seriousness, if they must change they went pretty reserved for a Nike overhaul. The Buccaneers these are not. I was afraid they were gonna be a slash and burn job. Turns out it's just a pointless downgrade.

Pretty much. There are aspects of each jersey that I like but none of the three add up to what I'd call a good look. It's been said about eleventy billion times now but I'll say it again - it could have been much worse. Anyway...

Pros:

• The brown looks darker in the pictures. If it is, that's a plus
  • The new shade of orange is an upgrade.
  • Orange pants coming back - reserving final judgement until I see them
  • Orange jersey is a nice touch - as long as it's an alt.

Cons:

• Cleveland on the jerseys - welcome to Ohio High School football
  • Orange numbers - might have worked better with some sort of outline
  • Sleeve stripes need to either become shoulder stripes or move down a few degrees and become sleeve stripes. They're half pregnant as is.
  • Number font isn't awful but it's hardly great
  • Number shadows
  • Brown pants
  • Brown facemask

Overall: A perfect look - if you're Midpark High School in Ohio.

midparks-jason-mccombsjpg-f120888a33e66b

or Weequahic in Jersey.

-5964baf4c3ef5437.jpg

Now, you could argue that the templates are the problem, and that may be the case, but in reality, uniforms have always evolved over time to fit the needs of the players; otherwise, they'd still be wearing leather helmets and oddly-fitting wool sweaters. Just like how the blocky stripe-filled designs of the 1920s fell out of use as uniform technology evolved, so should the big-ass Braisher sleeve stripes from the 1960s.

Here's where you're wrong - the sport and league were in their infancy and hadn't yet developed an established visual identity. Around the time the molded helmet came around, they developed the established football aesthetics. Dark jerseys over lighter pants, striping down the pants, etc. After the change to short sleeves, there were no real changes for 30-something years. There were some designs crazier than others over the years, but there wasn't a deviation from the established football aesthetics until a few years back when teams started wearing monochrome. Before that, teams looked "the same" within boundaries as teams had looked in the fifties. And the "evolution" here is new proprietary templates and a league which is feckless in enforcing uniform codes. So it wasn't a constant change.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I thought they started wearing it because their original uniforms were Bowling Green hand-me-downs? Which is ironic considering Nike has them going to some nu-millennial college crap and orange jerseys, much like Bowling Green.

What if Bowling Green rolls out in last year's Browns uniforms?

That would be great. It would be hilarious to see a mid-major college team have a pro set while the NFL team had MAC-level rubbish.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've complained about it. Why develop a wordmark font—including numbers—that is a variation on a standard block font (with rounded corners) and then use a completely different font for the numbers? Nike did the same thing with the Bucs: they gave them a new wordmark font that looks great and would've been great for the numbers, then turn them into walking alarm clocks.

The most confusing part is that Nike is usually good about wordmark-number consistency in college (Michigan State, TCU, Georgia, newly released Army to name a few), but has ignored it with their last few NFL teams.

Archived