New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

In all seriousness, if they must change they went pretty reserved for a Nike overhaul. The Buccaneers these are not. I was afraid they were gonna be a slash and burn job. Turns out it's just a pointless downgrade.

Pretty much. There are aspects of each jersey that I like but none of the three add up to what I'd call a good look. It's been said about eleventy billion times now but I'll say it again - it could have been much worse. Anyway...

Pros:

• The brown looks darker in the pictures. If it is, that's a plus
  • The new shade of orange is an upgrade.
  • Orange pants coming back - reserving final judgement until I see them
  • Orange jersey is a nice touch - as long as it's an alt.

Cons:

• Cleveland on the jerseys - welcome to Ohio High School football
  • Orange numbers - might have worked better with some sort of outline
  • Sleeve stripes need to either become shoulder stripes or move down a few degrees and become sleeve stripes. They're half pregnant as is.
  • Number font isn't awful but it's hardly great
  • Number shadows
  • Brown pants
  • Brown facemask

Overall: A perfect look - if you're Midpark High School in Ohio.

midparks-jason-mccombsjpg-f120888a33e66b

Not even close.

You're sharp, aren't you? Not many people noticed that. :rolleyes: The point was that the Browns now resemble a high school team, Einstein.

I got it! Just don't think those uniforms in your image resemble what the Browns have done.

Also you can look all over the country and every NFL team will resemble a high school team.

But I get what you were trying to say.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the orange tops - especially with white pants. It is kind of pointless to talk about 9 combinations - most they can wear in a season is eight, due to the two-time per season limit on alt jerseys. The Seahawks demo'd nine combos, but only wore six. They have never worn:

Gray top - Blue pants

Gray top - white pants (good thing they have never worn this)

Blue top - white pants (too bad they have never worn this)

I hope orange is primary, and the brown is never worn with brown pants. They will probably wear white at home 4-5 times a year anyway.

random thought/question:

what if one of your away games is in dallas or miami? could you then wear your "alt" as your "color" for that game? you'd still be wearing your designated "home" for your 6 home games..

Also you can look all over the country and every NFL team will resemble a high school team.

No. You'll find some well dress high school teams, but 1) most of them will look like the crap pictured, and 2) no other NFL teams are altering their uniforms to look reminiscent of what high schools wear.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Considering the uniform this is replacing, it couldn't help but be a downgrade. The minute the Browns said they were changing the uniform, it was a downgrade by definition.

Ho

I do not understand uniform traditionalists. Maybe it's because i'm a designer by trade... I don't really know, but one thing is for sure, the Seahawks have the best new Nike uniforms by far. No one else even comes close. To me, the Browns didn't take this uniform redesign far enough.

Thank god we have a designer in our midst to put us in our place. It's not like there are a bunch of professional designers on here who are traditionalists or anything. Clearly it has to do with profession.

EDIT: This thread is getting really angry.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Like the orange tops - especially with white pants. It is kind of pointless to talk about 9 combinations - most they can wear in a season is eight, due to the two-time per season limit on alt jerseys. The Seahawks demo'd nine combos, but only wore six. They have never worn:

Gray top - Blue pants

I hope orange is primary, and the brown is never worn with brown pants. They will probably wear white at home 4-5 times a year anyway.

random thought/question:

what if one of your away games is in dallas or miami? could you then wear your "alt" as your "color" for that game? you'd still be wearing your designated "home" for your 6 home games..

Yes. The Panthers have worn their blue jerseys in Tampa Bay several times. they could still only wear them twice per year, though. But I don't think that "law" is exactly law. It seems like a number of teams wear white at home until November or so and then wear dark for the last 3-4 home games. I think they just mean that teams can't wear alternates more then twice a year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Considering the uniform this is replacing, it couldn't help but be a downgrade. The minute the Browns said they were changing the uniform, it was a downgrade by definition.

Ho

I do not understand uniform traditionalists. Maybe it's because i'm a designer by trade... I don't really know, but one thing is for sure, the Seahawks have the best new Nike uniforms by far. No one else even comes close. To me, the Browns didn't take this uniform redesign far enough.

Ha. Nothing gets you off to a great start by stating up front that you're ready to actively dismiss a large portion of the userbase's opinion.

And it has nothing to do with you being a designer. We have plenty of designers here. Some certainly understand the value of traditional uniform design. So no, it has nothing to do with you being a designer. Probably has everything to do with you simply not liking the fact that you have to see the opinions of people who disagree with you.

No. You'll find some well dress high school teams, but 1) most of them will look like the crap pictured, and 2) no other NFL teams are altering their uniforms to look reminiscent of what high schools wear.

By the way, why do high school, teams look so bad? I've never understood it. I'm guessing it's all they can get in the catalogs they order from.

Ho

Ha. Nothing gets you off to a great start by stating up front that you're ready to actively dismiss a large portion of the user base's opinion.

And it has nothing to do with you being a designer. We have plenty of designers here. Some certainly understand the value of traditional uniform design. So no, it has nothing to do with you being a designer. Probably has everything to do with you simply not liking the fact that you have to see the opinions of people who disagree with you.

Yes. Designers can have different opinions on traditional versus modern design. They are human, after all.

Gray top - Blue pants

random thought/question:

Yes. The Panthers have worn their blue jerseys in Tampa Bay several times. they could still only wear them twice per year, though. But I don't think that "law" is exactly law. It seems like a number of teams wear white at home until November or so and then wear dark for the last 3-4 home games. I think they just mean that teams can't wear alternates more then twice a year.

so, just to clarify.. there's no way a team could wear their "alt" 3 times? correct?... because 6 home games in "home", 2 home games in "alt", and a random away "color" game in "alt" would not be allowable?.. if it's possible, then we could theoretically see all 9 combos.. otherwise, just the 8 mentioned previously..

To sum 170 pages of this thread: People will never be satisfied, no matter what a team does.

I don't think that's true. I think Packer and Raider fans will be very satisfied with the changes their teams will make to their uniforms this year.

And I'm sure there is a portion of the fanbase that wants something new, fun, and modern. Its never going to be cut and dry, especially when it comes to something like uniforms.

For those...saying "I'm done with the Browns" because of a slightly larger than normal wordmark or contrasting stitching, please shut up.

A few things.

The contrast stitching. I don't hate it. I don't even dislike it, really. I just think it's funny that Nike and the Browns dug up design elements used by the XFL almost twenty years ago for their new design. I can almost hear the Nike-speak now, playing it up as some new innovation. Yeah. One the Las Vegas Outlaws beat you to by fifteen years.

As for people being done with the Browns? Usually I'd agree that jumping ship after a uniform redesign is a stupid move, but I can see it here. The NFL told everyone to shut up and pretend that the Browns who started playing in 1999 were the same team that left for Baltimore. Except they weren't. Now the last real connection to the original Browns, the classic uniform, is being ditched. If you're an older Browns fan? What are you holding onto? The terrible on-field product? The rotating QBs? The last thing making a connection to the older team is gone. So if this is enough to get someone like that to jump ship? I don't blame them.

To sum 170 pages of this thread: People will never be satisfied, no matter what a team does.

I don't think that's true. I think Packer and Raider fans will be very satisfied with the changes their teams will make to their uniforms this year.

And I'm sure there is a portion of the fanbase that wants something new, fun, and modern. Its never going to be cut and dry, especially when it comes to something like uniforms.

Packers fans almost revolted when the team announced plans to darken the green and gold and lose the stripes. I don't think they're a fanbase interested in changing their team's look.

Gray top - Blue pants

random thought/question:

so, just to clarify.. there's no way a team could wear their "alt" 3 times? correct?... because 6 home games in "home", 2 home games in "alt", and a random away "color" game in "alt" would not be allowable?.. if it's possible, then we could theoretically see all 9 combos.. otherwise, just the 8 mentioned previously..

Yes. Teams can only wear their alts a maximum of two times per year (not sure if they still allow once in the preseason). That doesn't change whether they're worn home or road. Teams weren't originally allowed to wear alts on the road. And it's a good thing they weren't because when alts came about, the Steelers thought of adding a yellow jersey for when warm-weather teams made them wear their home set. That would have been awful.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I had contrasting red stitching on my black Jnco jeans in 1999. That looked soooooo good 16 years ago.

I remember that era well. No they didn't.

Remember those polyester button-down shirts with dragons and flames and stuff on them? How did parents let their kids out of the house in those?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe, but it's pretty small.

To me, it's not a matter of new vs. old, it's a matter of good vs bad (which is, of course a matter of opinion, I know). If a uniform is good, don't change it. If it's bad, do change it. That's it. So, to me, the recent updates in Buffalo, Minnesota, and San Francisco were good, not because the new uniforms are perfect, but because the uniforms they replaced were bad. The recent change in Tampa is a disaster because the flipped one of the best uniforms in the NFL into the worst. And Seattle, Jacksonville, and Miami, traded bad for bad, IMO.

I just don't want to see a team dump a good uniform just to "spice things up" or "kick start a new era"... That's moronic.

I had contrasting red stitching on my black Jnco jeans in 1999. That looked soooooo good 16 years ago.

I remember that era well. No they didn't.

Remember those polyester button-down shirts with dragons and flames and stuff on them? How did parents let their kids out of the house in those?

Haha, and they were always square cut on the bottom instead of tail cut. Those were equally awful. I wasn't in the flame shirt and Jncos group, and I wasn't in the Abercrombie group, either. I was in the "JC Pennys and Kohls" group which wore Dr. Martens with painters jeans and striped sweaters. I mean, at least if I grew up in the '80s I could saw I wore something garish. But we just wore was forgettable blandness and watched Friends.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

True. Not everyone is going to like every aspect of the uniform. That's just a fact everyone has their own style and opinion. And that's fine.

But the people I don't understand are the ones who will stop rooting for a team because of the changes, that's ridiculous.

Personally, I didn't mind the old uniforms, they were fine. But I like the photos so far.

I like the drop shadow and the Orange numbers. Not a huge fan of the Cleveland word mark but it's not bad.

Overall I like the changes. And I like the Brown as an ALT.

Archived