New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

I had contrasting red stitching on my black Jnco jeans in 1999. That looked soooooo good 16 years ago.

I remember that era well. No they didn't.

Remember those polyester button-down shirts with dragons and flames and stuff on them? How did parents let their kids out of the house in those?

Haha, and they were always square cut on the bottom instead of tail cut. Those were equally awful. I wasn't in the flame shirt and Jncos group, and I wasn't in the Abercrombie group, either. I was in the "JC Pennys and Kohls" group which wore Dr. Martens with painters jeans and striped sweaters. I mean, at least if I grew up in the '80s I could saw I wore something garish. But we just wore was forgettable blandness and watched Friends.

Me too! We were normcore before normcore, except I didn't watch Friends, I watched Kids in the Hall reruns. And now I'm the person I am today.

inferno.jpg

This was the "next Columbine" shirt.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the people I don't understand are the ones who will stop rooting for a team because of the changes, that's ridiculous.

As for people being done with the Browns? Usually I'd agree that jumping ship after a uniform redesign is a stupid move, but I can see it here. The NFL told everyone to shut up and pretend that the Browns who started playing in 1999 were the same team that left for Baltimore. Except they weren't. Now the last real connection to the original Browns, the classic uniform, is being ditched. If you're an older Browns fan? What are you holding onto? The terrible on-field product? The rotating QBs? The last thing making a connection to the older team is gone. So if this is enough to get someone like that to jump ship? I don't blame them.

To sum 170 pages of this thread: People will never be satisfied, no matter what a team does.

I don't think that's true. I think Packer and Raider fans will be very satisfied with the changes their teams will make to their uniforms this year.

And I'm sure there is a portion of the fanbase that wants something new, fun, and modern. Its never going to be cut and dry, especially when it comes to something like uniforms.

Maybe, but it's pretty small.

To me, it's not a matter of new vs. old, it's a matter of good vs bad (which is, of course a matter of opinion, I know). If a uniform is good, don't change it. If it's bad, do change it. That's it. So, to me, the recent updates in Buffalo, Minnesota, and San Francisco were good, not because the new uniforms are perfect, but because the uniforms they replaced were bad. The recent change in Tampa is a disaster because the flipped one of the best uniforms in the NFL into the worst. And Seattle, Jacksonville, and Miami, traded bad for bad, IMO.

I just don't want to see a team dump a good uniform just to "spice things up" or "kick start a new era"... That's moronic.

Why do you think most Browns fans did not want a change. I believe it's split 50/50.

They changed it because there uniforms were dated. You may have felt they were great and that's fine. But a lot of people welcomed a change.

To sum 170 pages of this thread: People will never be satisfied, no matter what a team does.

Very true

I disagree. The Blue Jays new uniforms were almost universally beloved.

If a team comes out with a good look people will give it credit. The Browns haven't come out with a good look here.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think that's true. I think Packer and Raider fans will be very satisfied with the changes their teams will make to their uniforms this year.

And I'm sure there is a portion of the fanbase that wants something new, fun, and modern. Its never going to be cut and dry, especially when it comes to something like uniforms.

Maybe, but it's pretty small.

To me, it's not a matter of new vs. old, it's a matter of good vs bad (which is, of course a matter of opinion, I know). If a uniform is good, don't change it. If it's bad, do change it. That's it. So, to me, the recent updates in Buffalo, Minnesota, and San Francisco were good, not because the new uniforms are perfect, but because the uniforms they replaced were bad. The recent change in Tampa is a disaster because the flipped one of the best uniforms in the NFL into the worst. And Seattle, Jacksonville, and Miami, traded bad for bad, IMO.

I just don't want to see a team dump a good uniform just to "spice things up" or "kick start a new era"... That's moronic.

Why do you think most Browns fans did not want a change. I believe it's split 50/50.

They changed it because there uniforms were dated. You may have felt they were great and that's fine. But a lot of people welcomed a change.

There's probably Yankees fans who want new uniforms. Doesn't make it a good idea,

Very true

If a team comes out with a good look people will give it credit. The Browns haven't come out with a good look here.

including the need to make the BP cap feature only a maple leaf?

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Very true

Exactly. Nothing is everything for everyone. But crummy design is crummy design.

These aren't Buccaneer bad, but whomever was comparing them with the Vikings is way off. These are pretty close to a train-wreck. I'd call them a bad bike accident, at best.

That contrast stitching is really terrible. The orange numbers on the Brown uniform is a very poor decision. The HUGE CLEVELAND wordmark above the numbers is amateur and the drop shadow reeks of mid-90s russell uniforms.

In fact, the whole thing looks like Russell handled it.

I do have a feeling i'll like the helmet, however.

I went ahead and mocked up all the combinations.

Browns_1.png

Nice, but it'd work better if you did the rows by jersey rather than pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

True. Not everyone is going to like every aspect of the uniform. That's just a fact everyone has their own style and opinion. And that's fine.

But the people I don't understand are the ones who will stop rooting for a team because of the changes, that's ridiculous.

Personally, I didn't mind the old uniforms, they were fine. But I like the photos so far.

I like the drop shadow and the Orange numbers. Not a huge fan of the Cleveland word mark but it's not bad.

Overall I like the changes. And I like the Brown as an ALT.

Agreed. Loved the old brown jersey, but I am digging the new orange jersey. VERY NICE.

Browns_1.png

A couple thoughts:

• O/W/W - Very sharp... definetly an upgrade from the previous O/W/W combo.
  • O/W/O - Possibly one of the sharpest combinations in the NFL.
  • O/W/B - A nice look. The white jersey seems to be the big winner here.
  • O/B/B - Worse than I thought it would look... one of the worst in the league
  • O/B/O - Not bad... its what was expected.
  • O/B/W - Again, not bad... its what was expect.
  • O/O/W - A nice look... nothing crazy.
  • O/O/B - Again, a nice look... nothing crazy.
  • O/O/O - Not AS BAD as I thought it would look. Its not great... but Its not nearly as bad as what I was expecting.

The big winner here is the white jersey. I think the previous set, the white jersey was pretty bad. It came across as a uniform from the 70s that just kept getting washed over and over, faded and more faded. The new white really benefits from the new orange.

Very true

including the need to make the BP cap feature only a maple leaf?

Those weren't part of the initial reveal ;)

Browns_1.png

As a general rule I think that the helmet or number should always match the pants (lone exception being mono-white).

So Brown on white, Orange on Brown and White on Brown all look awful here (as do mono-brown and mono-orange of course), which means we'll see those 5 combos the most.

Only acceptable combos should be:

O-O-W

O-B-O

O-W-O

O-W-W

Archived