New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, but it's pretty small.

To me, it's not a matter of new vs. old, it's a matter of good vs bad (which is, of course a matter of opinion, I know). If a uniform is good, don't change it. If it's bad, do change it. That's it. So, to me, the recent updates in Buffalo, Minnesota, and San Francisco were good, not because the new uniforms are perfect, but because the uniforms they replaced were bad. The recent change in Tampa is a disaster because the flipped one of the best uniforms in the NFL into the worst. And Seattle, Jacksonville, and Miami, traded bad for bad, IMO.

I just don't want to see a team dump a good uniform just to "spice things up" or "kick start a new era"... That's moronic.

This is a great way to put it.

I went ahead and mocked up all the combinations.

Nice, but it'd work better if you did the rows by jersey rather than pants.

How's this? :P

Browns_2.png

Perfect. Nice work.

I wouldn't have thought this, but they really don't need orange pants with this set. IMO the best combos are:

O-B-W

O-W-B

O-O-B

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

To me, it's not a matter of new vs. old, it's a matter of good vs bad (which is, of course a matter of opinion, I know). If a uniform is good, don't change it. If it's bad, do change it. That's it. So, to me, the recent updates in Buffalo, Minnesota, and San Francisco were good, not because the new uniforms are perfect, but because the uniforms they replaced were bad. The recent change in Tampa is a disaster because the flipped one of the best uniforms in the NFL into the worst. And Seattle, Jacksonville, and Miami, traded bad for bad, IMO.

I just don't want to see a team dump a good uniform just to "spice things up" or "kick start a new era"... That's moronic.

This is a great way to put it.

Especially when you consider how tenuous your "new era" is. Ask Charlotte Hornets fans how great the new era of Hornets basketball has been after switching from Bobcats.

What suggests that the Browns are about turn the corner? The fact that they signed a career backup? Or the fact that their first round quarterback was in rehab this off-season? It'll be the same old Browns, only without the charm of the old uniforms.

I mean as far as these new uniforms go? They're not bad. They certainly could have been MUCH worse. I do like the drop shadows, though the number font is terrible. The sleeve stripes are interesting. I like the new orange. I even kind of like the contrasting stitching (though I find it funny Nike's ripping the XFL off). The colliegate wordmark and brown facemask, as well as the orange numbers, are what sinks it. It's a "meh" uniform to me. Not bad, but not good either.

Compared to the classics they had before though? That's still an obvious downgrade.

[photo]

Is that brown or black? Serious question...

Black for sure.

How could a team called the Browns not have a brown uniform? So strange....

Because they're not named after the color they're named after a guy. The color is purely coincidental IMO.

And the Cardinals were originally named after the color of their socks. Origin stories aren't always terribly relevant today.

clem-99-02-whiteblue-billvaughan-vert-62590553.jpg

the numbers look like late 90's/early 2000's Clemson.

Read: bad

I actually liked those uniform (especially better than the piping-laden mess that followed).

Browns_1.png

A couple thoughts:

• O/W/W - Very sharp... definetly an upgrade from the previous O/W/W combo.
  • O/W/O - Possibly one of the sharpest combinations in the NFL.
  • O/W/B - A nice look. The white jersey seems to be the big winner here.
  • O/B/B - Worse than I thought it would look... one of the worst in the league
  • O/B/O - Not bad... its what was expected.
  • O/B/W - Again, not bad... its what was expect.
  • O/O/W - A nice look... nothing crazy.
  • O/O/B - Again, a nice look... nothing crazy.
  • O/O/O - Not AS BAD as I thought it would look. Its not great... but Its not nearly as bad as what I was expecting.

The big winner here is the white jersey. I think the previous set, the white jersey was pretty bad. It came across as a uniform from the 70s that just kept getting washed over and over, faded and more faded. The new white really benefits from the new orange.

I would've preferred the old white jersey with the new orange.

I'm so sad that all the "the Browns planted the fake jerseys" people left after the brown jersey leak. They were fairly entertaining.

I, myself, am not a fan of the orange stitching, but I do like the brown jersey as a whole. But, I AM SO EXCITED FOR ORANGE PANTS!

spacer.png

The mock-ups really show the weakness of the orange numbers. Brown/Orange needs white numbers to break up the wall of color and the all white needs brown numbers to have a significant presence of brown.

The Browns darkened their brown in 2010.

Actually, they re-darkened the brown to what the old Browns wore. Carmen Policy lightened the shade when the Browns returned in 1999.

I disagree. The Blue Jays new uniforms were almost universally beloved.

If a team comes out with a good look people will give it credit. The Browns haven't come out with a good look here.

including the need to make the BP cap feature only a maple leaf?

Those weren't part of the initial reveal ;)

I actually flew off the handles about the Blue Jays set. I was really pissed off about the inclusion of navy at the expense of light blue, and I thought the shape of the logo was too oblong and worse than the original. The logo still looks a little off to me, but overall it's an incredible set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

To sum 170 pages of this thread: People will never be satisfied, no matter what a team does.

I don't think that's true. I think Packer and Raider fans will be very satisfied with the changes their teams will make to their uniforms this year.

And I'm sure there is a portion of the fanbase that wants something new, fun, and modern. Its never going to be cut and dry, especially when it comes to something like uniforms.

Why do you think most Browns fans did not want a change. I believe it's split 50/50.

They changed it because there uniforms were dated. You may have felt they were great and that's fine. But a lot of people welcomed a change.

There's probably Yankees fans who want new uniforms. Doesn't make it a good idea,
Again that's Your opinion. But there are ones who wanted the change.

To sum 170 pages of this thread: People will never be satisfied, no matter what a team does.

I don't think that's true. I think Packer and Raider fans will be very satisfied with the changes their teams will make to their uniforms this year.

And I'm sure there is a portion of the fanbase that wants something new, fun, and modern. Its never going to be cut and dry, especially when it comes to something like uniforms.

Why do you think most Browns fans did not want a change. I believe it's split 50/50.

They changed it because there uniforms were dated. You may have felt they were great and that's fine. But a lot of people welcomed a change.

There's probably Yankees fans who want new uniforms. Doesn't make it a good idea,
Again that's Your opinion. But there are ones who wanted the change.

Of course. As he said, you can find Yankee fans who want a uniform change.

We've gone from "split 50/50" and "a lot of people" to the very slender "ones". :P

CPaq474.jpg

Hard to tell from where I'm sitting...

Is this brown, or is Cleveland really going to serve the haters a BLACK uniform? :lol:

Looks brown to me. Compare with the black NFL logo hang tag.

The Browns darkened their brown in 2010.

Yep, it's definitely brown. It's just a terrible quality picture from a phone. The orange looking so washed out and desaturated means the brown is also washed out and desaturated.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Browns_1.png

Not bad at all. The only combos that immediately hit me as terrible are the mono orange and O-O-B combos. Stripes better be on the pants though.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Browns_1.png

Not bad at all. The only combos that immediately hit me as terrible are the mono orange and O-O-B combos. Stripes better be on the pants though.

Ok, fully realized they aren't terrible.

I Still don't like the drop shadow or the wordmark. Hopefully they drop the contrast stitching after a year or so.

Or at least give us some garbage like

"The Contrasted Stitching symbolizes how the contrasting cultures of Cleveland help stitch the fabric of the countries great history. The Cleveland Wordmark above the numbers symbolizes how Cleveland is on top of many numbers of great innovations we hold dear today."

Archived