New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Here's a better look at the helmet stripe.

weKBQi1.jpg

I hate to keep belaboring the point, but this shot really makes the helmet look satin or some new finish that's part way between satin and gloss. See the difference in the light reflection between the helmet and the stripe? It's blurry on the helmet, where a true gloss would produce a sharper reflection like on the stripes.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

weKBQi1.jpg

I hate to keep belaboring the point, but this shot really makes the helmet look satin or some new finish that's part way between satin and gloss. See the difference in the light reflection between the helmet and the stripe? It's blurry on the helmet, where a true gloss would produce a sharper reflection like on the stripes.

Yeah, I'd say it falls somewhere in between.

It's not a true gloss:

vikings%20helmet.jpg

But I wouldn't say it's a true satin either:

tempIMG_5821_2013UniHelmet--nfl_mezz_128

It reminds me more of an old school helmet finish:

jim-brownjpg-da1120ab08ea05e2_large.jpg

What would you call that? Eggshell?

I had mocked this up and posted it earlier in the thread. It's the anodized satin helmet from the Ducks in the Rose Bowl. I think the orange would really glow (in a good way) on a satin helmet.

brownshelmet_1.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

YrUERBL.jpg

I made a few quick changes. I think it looks infinitely better this way.

That's a nice improvement. I think the orange numbers don't provide enough contrast. White looks better.

No need to apologize most fans love the new uniforms.

Now get off my lawn!!

What do you mean "Most fans love the new uniforms"? How do you know that? It's been less than 24 hours.

He knows that because he's cool and hip, so all cool and hip people think like him. Also, Cleveland is apparently now cool and hip.

He cited a "Browns message board" he belongs to. That's how he knows "most of the fans" like the new look. My guess is it would take about 15 seconds to find a Browns message board where "most of the fans" hate the new uniforms.

Anyway, if you go to Cleveland.com and check out the comments in articles on the new uniforms you'll see that the reaction is mixed at best. It's a long way from "most of the fans love the new uniforms." In other words, the reaction to the uniforms among Browns fans is about the same as it is here.

BB52Big.jpg

YrUERBL.jpg

I made a few quick changes. I think it looks infinitely better this way.

That's a nice improvement. I think the orange numbers don't provide enough contrast. White looks better.

No need to apologize most fans love the new uniforms.

Now get off my lawn!!

What do you mean "Most fans love the new uniforms"? How do you know that? It's been less than 24 hours.

He knows that because he's cool and hip, so all cool and hip people think like him. Also, Cleveland is apparently now cool and hip.

He cited a "Browns message board" he belongs to. That's how he knows "most of the fans" like the new look. My guess is it would take about 15 seconds to find a Browns message board where "most of the fans" hate the new uniforms.

Anyway, if you go to Cleveland.com and check out the comments in articles on the new uniforms you'll see that the reaction is mixed at best. It's a long way from "most of the fans love the new uniforms."

Let's be real - the Browns could've released a Jags-Bucs hybrid in brown and orange and "most of the fans" would like it. It's important to remember, though, that most of any NFL team's fanbase are slobbering morons.

It's not as bad as the "the players love it" defense, however. That one really grinds my gears.

PvO6ZWJ.png

After a day here's where I've landed on these: Much like the Dolphins they have a resemblance to the team they're representing, but come across as a sort of cereal box knockoff version of what they used to look like. They look like someone wanted to use the Browns for marketing purposes, but didn't want to pay the licensing fees. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Cleveman Brownges!"

So they look like themselves except worse, which begs the question WHAT THE HELL WAS THE POINT? I know what the point was in the short term (publicity, the old jersey sales may be flat, increased awareness of their brand for the younger demographic), but in the long term I don't think they're a wise move.

I predict they'll be back in something closer to their classic uniforms before 2023.

PvO6ZWJ.png

weKBQi1.jpg

It's not a true gloss:

I had mocked this up and posted it earlier in the thread. It's the anodized satin helmet from the Ducks in the Rose Bowl. I think the orange would really glow (in a good way) on a satin helmet.

The Browns' helmet finish is nearly identical to the Seahawks helmet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/04/cleveland_browns_uniforms_poll.html

45% love them

24% like

8% hate

23% either change unnecessary or "meh".

Piggy backing off this from Cleveland.com

JERSEY/PANTS

• B/O - 24.03%
  • W/W - 19.45%
  • O/B - 13.27%
  • B/B - 13.03%
  • W/B - 9.51%
  • O/O - 7.29%
  • W/O - 5.07%
  • B/W - 4.54%
  • O/W - 3.81

2072 VOTES

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/04/cleveland_browns_uniforms_poll.html

Okay, I guess it's time to post my thoughts up:

-The helmet's fine. Nothing really changed, as it should be.

-I think the contrasting stitching looks nice. The stitching on the brown jersey reminds me of a well-worn jacket, something you'd wear outside and do some work in. The stitching on the white one reminds me of some nice shoes I have. That's probably just me being weird though.

-The big "Cleveland" on the front doesn't bother me. It's (and hopefully will remain) unique to the Browns, and given the strange "city pride" thing that Cleveland's latched onto over the past few years, it fits them. I can't say as much for the other 31 NFL franchises, so I hope this doesn't become a trend.

-Well, now I know the reason why they went to a bolder shade of orange. I'm not 100% behind this new emphasis on orange, it reminds me way too much of the Broncos' blatant navy switch. Plus, I feel like the number shadows provide the color balance that was lacking in the previous set, so...yeah. Not bad, but unnecessary. Probably should've stuck with the classic color treatment.

-The stripes are fine. I'm a fan of just about anything that tries to preserve striping on these new football jersey cuts.

-The pants...okay, this really annoys me. I was 100% ready to give these uniforms a favorable review after the jerseys were leaked. Then these pants came. I honestly thought that this was right up there with the Vikings and Bills' rebrands, now I'm putting it with Miami and Jacksonville as a "serviceable uniform set ruined by a single boneheaded decision." I don't understand. If you have the balls to wreck a classic stripe, then just go full leotard and use only the "Browns" wordmark. If you're smart enough to realize that the classic stripe is a vital element, then just keep it! This is one of the single worst design decisions that I've seen. Absolutely disgusting. As for the wordmark itself, having "Cleveland" on the jerseys is acceptable. "City pride" and all that jazz. But having "Cleveland Browns" plastered all over your set? That's a childish cry for attention. Words cannot explain how much these pants irk me.

-I find it funny that they've made an effort to emphasize the stripes on the jersey, yet refused to go with a full stripe on the pants and left stripes off of the socks completely. If the objective was to highlight the stripe as a key part of the Browns' identity...you kinda blew it, Nike. Ain't no half-steppin'.

With that being said, this is the perfect kind of rebrand for the Browns 2.0...so much promise, then a laughable pratfall. I feel that if they put a full (or even an OSU-style cutoff) stripe and leave the "Browns" lettering in the trash bin, they'd have a nice modern look. If, in addition to that, they'd use the classic number treatment and put stripes on the socks? Modern classic without a doubt. But, since they're the Browns, I don't expect them to do any of that, and predict that they will do one of two things:

1) Stick their fingers in their ears, ignore everyone, continue with this set, and blatantly try to rake in that throwback money.

2) Tuck their tails in between their legs and go back to the old set unchanged, learning nothing at all from this experience. Another rebrand will be attempted in the future, and will likely produce the same result.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

It's not a true gloss:

The Browns' helmet finish is nearly identical to the Seahawks helmet.

Yeah good point. They are definitely pretty similar, if not identical. I couldn't remember what they called the Seahawks finish. After looking it up, the only blurb I could find that mentioned the finish used for their helmets was from HGI:

The helmet features a HydroSkin® semi gloss blue finish with HydroSkin® feather print center stripe.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

After a day here's where I've landed on these: Much like the Dolphins they have a resemblance to the team they're representing, but come across as a sort of cereal box knockoff version of what they used to look like. They look like someone wanted to use the Browns for marketing purposes, but didn't want to pay the licensing fees. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Cleveman Brownges!"

So they look like themselves except worse, which begs the question WHAT THE HELL WAS THE POINT? I know what the point was in the short term (publicity, the old jersey sales may be flat, increased awareness of their brand for the younger demographic), but in the long term I don't think they're a wise move.

I predict they'll be back in something closer to their classic uniforms before 2023.

This exactly. Many people have posted quick fixes that would get this set to respectable - make the pants stripe span the whole length, remove the contrasting stitching, remove the chest wordmark, swap number colors on white and brown jerseys, fix drop shadow. However, if you do those things, what do you get? A jersey which: 1) still doesn't look like the Cleveland Browns; and 2) is far, far more generic than the uniforms they replaced. Honestly, three stripes on all elements? Decent enough look. Not at all bad, but the same goons saying "ZOMG GENERIC!" to the former striping pattern, which the team pretty much used for 60 years, and which no other teams currently use, would love a typical braisher-style stripe on all elements?

As you said, even if they fixed all the things wrong with them, they'd still be a downgrade from the previous set and only serve to make the team look more generic.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived