New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

YrUERBL.jpg

I made a few quick changes. I think it looks infinitely better this way.

That's definitely an upgrade over what we actually got. I was thinking it might look nice to keep the CLEVELAND in orange, but have your white numbers with the orange shadow. Either way, the white numbers definitely pop more than orange on brown. I think that's why I like the orange jersey best -- the numbers really contrast nicely with the jersey.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't teams change their pants in less than the five year period for the uniforms as a whole? I could see them changing the design if there is significant backlash. Unfortunately I don't see there being a lot of backlash.

After a day here's where I've landed on these: Much like the Dolphins they have a resemblance to the team they're representing, but come across as a sort of cereal box knockoff version of what they used to look like. They look like someone wanted to use the Browns for marketing purposes, but didn't want to pay the licensing fees. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Cleveman Brownges!"

So they look like themselves except worse, which begs the question WHAT THE HELL WAS THE POINT? I know what the point was in the short term (publicity, the old jersey sales may be flat, increased awareness of their brand for the younger demographic), but in the long term I don't think they're a wise move.

I predict they'll be back in something closer to their classic uniforms before 2023.

This exactly. Many people have posted quick fixes that would get this set to respectable - make the pants stripe span the whole length, remove the contrasting stitching, remove the chest wordmark, swap number colors on white and brown jerseys, fix drop shadow. However, if you do those things, what do you get? A jersey which: 1) still doesn't look like the Cleveland Browns; and 2) is far, far more generic than the uniforms they replaced. Honestly, three stripes on all elements? Decent enough look. Not at all bad, but the same goons saying "ZOMG GENERIC!" to the former striping pattern, which the team pretty much used for 60 years, and which no other teams currently use, would love a typical braisher-style stripe on all elements?

As you said, even if they fixed all the things wrong with them, they'd still be a downgrade from the previous set and only serve to make the team look more generic.

Amen to that!

After a day here's where I've landed on these: Much like the Dolphins they have a resemblance to the team they're representing, but come across as a sort of cereal box knockoff version of what they used to look like. They look like someone wanted to use the Browns for marketing purposes, but didn't want to pay the licensing fees. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Cleveman Brownges!"

So they look like themselves except worse, which begs the question WHAT THE HELL WAS THE POINT? I know what the point was in the short term (publicity, the old jersey sales may be flat, increased awareness of their brand for the younger demographic), but in the long term I don't think they're a wise move.

I predict they'll be back in something closer to their classic uniforms before 2023.

The bolded part is exactly what I think every time I look at these sets.

Now that I've had some time to take a good look at these things, this is where I'm at.

Helmet - 9/10: The only real issue I have is the brown facemask and to be honest, it doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. That said, I think a white facemask might have worked a lot better with such a colorful uniforms set. The brown mask seems to get a little lost in all the technicolor going on around it. Then again, a white mask may have been a little too much color. I was hoping for a much brighter orange but it wouldn't have worked with the rest of the look. I may be in the minority but I like the carbon fiber thing on the helmet stripe.

Jerseys:

• Stripes - 8/10: I prefer the old stripes but they simply don't work on today's jersey cut. The new stripes look pretty good. The only issue I have with the stripes is on the brown jersey. The brown jersey is the only one where the number color isn't the middle stripe. It throws off the balance on the brown jersey. Perhaps a W/O/W stripe would have worked better.
  • Brown - 3/10: The orange numbers seem like they're fighting to be seen amongst all the brown. White numbers with an orange shadow would have looked so much better. Not to mention that white numbers would look better with the stripe pattern on this jersey.
  • White - 7/10: I'd prefer brown numbers but the orange looks pretty good on the white jersey. It just seems a little light with the orange numbers.
  • Orange - 8/10: I like the orange jersey. Normally, I'd I like it best as an alternate but if the choices for the primary are this one or the brown jersey, I say go with the orange. Probably my favorite jersey of the set.

Pants - 3/10: Let's get this out of the way right out of the gate. The Browns wordmark is pretty weak. It kind of ruins what could have been a really nice pants set. Had they just gone with a full stripe, the pants could really work. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I'm not a fan of the brown pants but if the Browns insist on having them, at least they finally put stripes on them...sort of.

Combos: (remove the Browns wordmark from the pants and it adds 2 points to each ranking - O/B/B excluded)

• O/B/O - 3/10: The orange numbers combined with the silly Browns wordmark and the stripe pattern on the jersey totally blow what might have been a pretty decent set. This set seems like the colors are constantly fighting to be noticed. Fix the stripes, go with white numbers, and this one could have been a winner.
  • O/B/W: 3/10: Less orange anywhere with the brown jersey is a good thing.
  • O/B/B - 0/10: There is simply no way to make a monochrome brown uniform look good.
  • O/W/O - 6/10: Again, I'd prefer brown numbers but overall. this set looks pretty solid. Probably my favorite combo of the bunch.
  • O/W/W - 5/10: Throw in the brown numbers and I doubt most people would have even noticed that the Browns had changed anything. I like all white looks but this one really needs the brown numbers to give it a little weight. Otherwise, it's not bad.
  • O/W/B - 1/10: You can add stripes, wordmarks, whatever you want, but at the end of the day you're still wearing brown pants.
  • O/O/W - 6/10: All things considered, this set is probably the best choice for the home primary. All the new uniform elements match up best in this combo.
  • O/O/O - 1/10: This combo is the most "mid-major" or "high school" of the bunch.
  • O/O/B - 1/10: See O/W/B.

Overall - 5/10: There are more than a few new elements to like here but there are also more than a few problems. While the Cleveland wordmark on the jerseys is very "mid-major" or "high school", it's not the worst thing I've ever seen. If it had been the only Nike-fied part of the uniform set, I could have easily lived with it. The Browns wordmark on the pants is just stupid. Someone hit the nail on the head when they said it reminded them of sweat pants you can buy at Sports Authority. This set is a few tweaks away from being really good but Nike had to be Nike and the Browns signed off on it. Had Nike and the Browns shown a little restraint, we could have had a real modern classic with these uniforms.

In closing: It could have been much worse but it's still a fairly significant downgrade from the uniform it's replacing.

BB52Big.jpg

The obnoxiously large wordmark on the jersey front and pants kills it for me. And is it me or is that stripe pattern on the helmet way too subtle? What's the reasoning behind that?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

No need to apologize most fans love the new uniforms.

Now get off my lawn!!

What do you mean "Most fans love the new uniforms"? How do you know that? It's been less than 24 hours.

He knows that because he's cool and hip, so all cool and hip people think like him. Also, Cleveland is apparently now cool and hip.

Wow! Your post reminded me of this!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUnyv5XUA8

Well no I'm 41 years old and not even close to hip. And I don't live in Cleveland.

I belong to a Browns Message board and there is a poll. Over 75% either love them or like them. With over 4000 voting.

Now get off my lawn!!

What do you mean "Most fans love the new uniforms"? How do you know that? It's been less than 24 hours.

He knows that because he's cool and hip, so all cool and hip people think like him. Also, Cleveland is apparently now cool and hip.

Wow! Your post reminded me of this!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUnyv5XUA8

Well no I'm 41 years old and not even close to hip. And I don't live in Cleveland.

I belong to a Browns Message board and there is a poll. Over 75% either love them or like them. With over 4000 voting.

Which is about .005 percent of all Browns fans.

Also, you're 41? No offense, but I figured you were about 15. Again, no offense, but your posts seem more like what the teenagers around here post.

BB52Big.jpg

Just talked to 2 guys at work... one is mid-50s the other is early-40s:

• The early 40s basically said "Ehhhhh they'll look cool... I just want wins. If that's what it takes to get the team to win..."
  • The mid 50s - who laments the Kardia Kids daily - said he likes the uniforms a lot and thinks its an upgrade over last year. He also said that the pants are the best part of the uniforms.

Take it for what its worth. From the measures available (cleveland.com, and various Browns forums), the general public seems to have a favorable opinion of them. Us uniform geeks tend to have an unfavorable opinion. If you ask me, the general public is a larger portion of society than uniform geeks. It is what it is.

This rebrand could've been much better if they hadn't had frickin' ugly orange numbers on the brown jersey. The white jersey is okay, and the orange jersey is pretty cool (even if an orange jersey paired with an orange helmet is kinda ridiculous for the Cleveland Browns ), but the brown jersey is downright atrocious. That shade of orange looks awful next to brown without white in between, not to mention that the Browns have had white numbers on their brown jersey nearly their entire franchise history. Overall, I give this rebrand a 3/10. :censored: Nike and their college/high school-level garbage.

Now get off my lawn!!

Wow! Your post reminded me of this!!!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUnyv5XUA8

Which is about .005 percent of all Browns fans.

Also, you're 41? No offense, but I figured you were about 15. Again, no offense, but your posts seem more like what the teenagers around here post .

:/

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

This rebrand could've been much better if they hadn't had frickin' ugly orange numbers on the brown jersey. The white jersey is okay, and the orange jersey is pretty cool (even if an orange jersey paired with an orange helmet is kinda ridiculous for the Cleveland Browns ), but the brown jersey is downright atrocious. That shade of orange looks awful next to brown without white in between, not to mention that the Browns have had white numbers

Will you please just stop with this... How many times does it have to be said that the name DOESN'T MATTER.

This rebrand could've been much better if they hadn't had frickin' ugly orange numbers on the brown jersey. The white jersey is okay, and the orange jersey is pretty cool (even if an orange jersey paired with an orange helmet is kinda ridiculous for the Cleveland Browns ), but the brown jersey is downright atrocious. That shade of orange looks awful next to brown without white in between, not to mention that the Browns have had white numbers

Will you please just stop with this... How many times does it have to be said that the name DOESN'T MATTER.

Many more. Keep saying it to yourself every minute of every day until either you go insane or the phrases loses all value because it's not true. It doesn't matter if they're named after a guy named Brown. Brown is a freaking color. One which they have used on their jerseys and which has been their primary jersey (other than white) for literally their entire history. if this was a brand new team, you might elicit a slight chuckle with "the name is Browns but they wear orange. See what I did there?!" but it wouldn't be nearly as clever as you think. Either way, it's still wrong for the Cleveland Browns.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Just talked to 2 guys at work... one is mid-50s the other is early-40s:

• The early 40s basically said "Ehhhhh they'll look cool... I just want wins. If that's what it takes to get the team to win..."
  • The mid 50s - who laments the Kardia Kids daily - said he likes the uniforms a lot and thinks its an upgrade over last year. He also said that the pants are the best part of the uniforms.

Take it for what its worth. From the measures available (cleveland.com, and various Browns forums), the general public seems to have a favorable opinion of them. Us uniform geeks tend to have an unfavorable opinion. If you ask me, the general public is a larger portion of society than uniform geeks. It is what it is.

Well, the new look isn't exactly Bucs level terrible so it's not surprising that "civilians" like it better than do the people of this community. FWIW, you should just stand behind your opinion. There's really no need to bring in outside sources because you think it will validate your opinion or validate a post you made a few days ago. We're all capable of going to other websites. And anything you post to support your opinion is not going to change the opinions of people who disagree with you.

BB52Big.jpg

Not to mention that the color and the name have no correlation. They weren't named for the color, they were named after Paul Brown. Maybe they then decided to use the color to match the name but this is a case of "Chicken or the Egg" where Paul Brown definitely came first.

Archived