New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Maybe they then decided to use the color to match the name but this is a case of "Chicken or the Egg" where Paul Brown definitely came first.

Yep. Paul Brown was a selfish lover.

^Give this man an award.
Lol perhaps I should have read that again to check the context! I actually laughed at that one.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will need to wait until I see them on the field. Last year I thought the Bucs new unis were terrible, but they looked pretty nice on the field.

Maybe you had some enjoyable afternoons or evenings at Raymond James Stadium, but stepping onto the field did not improve these (nor will it for the Browns' muddled orange on brown jersey or ridiculous pants):

Jorvorskie+Lane+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+v+N

13649463.jpg

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

After a day here's where I've landed on these: Much like the Dolphins they have a resemblance to the team they're representing, but come across as a sort of cereal box knockoff version of what they used to look like. They look like someone wanted to use the Browns for marketing purposes, but didn't want to pay the licensing fees. "Ladies and gentlemen, the Cleveman Brownges!"

So they look like themselves except worse, which begs the question WHAT THE HELL WAS THE POINT? I know what the point was in the short term (publicity, the old jersey sales may be flat, increased awareness of their brand for the younger demographic), but in the long term I don't think they're a wise move.

I predict they'll be back in something closer to their classic uniforms before 2023.

The bolded part is exactly what I think every time I look at these sets.

Same here! I hope no one else gets a redesign at this point.

Ok, I think I'm ready to post my thoughts. I'll preface this with the fact that I'm 16 and have no emotional connection with the Browns whatsoever. (Technically, they weren't even a team when I was born):

Helmet: 9/10: Already said I liked it, catch up. It just looks good to me.

Jersey: 6.5/10: I like the fact that they unified the stripes from the helmet, the team's identifying feature, onto the jerseys. Yes, I do get the fact that they have had the five layered stripe for as long as anybody can remember, but that just never did it for me. The contrast stitching, while a minute detail that could've been left off, doesn't bother me much. The Cleveland on top, unlike most, doesn't truly bother me either. Once again, when your main identifying image is a helmet, you don't have a lot of creative options graphically on the jersey, so that almost acts as a logo of sorts. My main issue with the jersey is the number font. You could've used a font that matches the wordmark that could work, or you have a regular block font. Now, you have two different custom fonts, when really all you need is one. Also, white numerals on the brown jersey would've been better.

Pants: 5/10: Much like the jersey, there isn't a logo or graphic item you can use on the pants other than the stripes. So, Browns on the pants is an idea, but not a good one. This is the only element on this uniform, IMO, that was a complete miss. If they put it in the stripe, or even horizontally at the bottom of the pants, it's better execution. The way they did it was probably about one of the last ways I would've thought of, because of the impracticality of it.

TL;DR: Unification across the whole set put the Browns up for a really nice look, but the new number font and the words on the pants hold it back.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Just talked to 2 guys at work... one is mid-50s the other is early-40s:

• The early 40s basically said "Ehhhhh they'll look cool... I just want wins. If that's what it takes to get the team to win..."
  • The mid 50s - who laments the Kardia Kids daily - said he likes the uniforms a lot and thinks its an upgrade over last year. He also said that the pants are the best part of the uniforms.

Take it for what its worth. From the measures available (cleveland.com, and various Browns forums), the general public seems to have a favorable opinion of them. Us uniform geeks tend to have an unfavorable opinion. If you ask me, the general public is a larger portion of society than uniform geeks. It is what it is.

Well, the new look isn't exactly Bucs level terrible so it's not surprising that "civilians" like it better than do the people of this community. FWIW, you should just stand behind your opinion. There's really no need to bring in outside sources because you think it will validate your opinion or validate a post you made a few days ago. We're all capable of going to other websites. And anything you post to support your opinion is not going to change the opinions of people who disagree with you.

I don't know what your specific issue is with me, but you seem to take everything I say and turn it into something different.

I was not trying to use either metric (websites, co-workers) to support my opinion. The discussion that was currently going on was about different demos and their opinions of the uniforms. I'm not sure where you got this idea that other people's opinions were being used to validate my opinion... especially since their opinions were not in conjunction with mine. From me experience (facebook, twiiter, instagram), my generation, the 30ish and under love/strongly like the uniforms. I am NOT in love with the uniforms by any means. I think there are upgrades and downgrades throughout the uniform.

I was not trying to change people's opinions. No where did I try and sway the thoughts of others. Its in an opinion... there is no point in trying to sway people, especially with something as trivial and subjective as sports uniforms.

Maybe you can PM me and let me know how you made the connection of me posting 2 people's opinions to me trying to sway people and validate my own opinion. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but you seem to have an unwavering sour opinion of me, no matter what I say or try and contribute to discussions... which is fine, your entitled to your opinion, especially on a forum. But at least take my posts for what they are... don't just turn it in to something completely unrelated.

I don't like the brown facemask and the carbon fiber stripes are pointless. I refuse to read the press release. What kind of Nike-ese did they spout about that? Does that represent "the blue collar background of Cleveland's residents" or some nonsense like that?

The Browns have always had a light colored facemask whether it be white or grey. Brown is the worst option of those three. I look at it and see Syracuse in the 90's.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This rebrand could've been much better if they hadn't had frickin' ugly orange numbers on the brown jersey. The white jersey is okay, and the orange jersey is pretty cool (even if an orange jersey paired with an orange helmet is kinda ridiculous for the Cleveland Browns ), but the brown jersey is downright atrocious. That shade of orange looks awful next to brown without white in between, not to mention that the Browns have had white numbers

Will you please just stop with this... How many times does it have to be said that the name DOESN'T MATTER.
Not to mention that the color and the name have no correlation. They weren't named for the color, they were named after Paul Brown. Maybe they then decided to use the color to match the name but this is a case of "Chicken or the Egg" where Paul Brown definitely came first.

The St. Louis Cardinals were named after the color of their socks. Today, that's just an historical footnote. Same with the Browns; the name originated from their founder and first coach, but that has long ceased to be the sole factor for it.

Just talked to 2 guys at work... one is mid-50s the other is early-40s:

• The early 40s basically said "Ehhhhh they'll look cool... I just want wins. If that's what it takes to get the team to win..."
  • The mid 50s - who laments the Kardia Kids daily - said he likes the uniforms a lot and thinks its an upgrade over last year. He also said that the pants are the best part of the uniforms.
Take it for what its worth. From the measures available (cleveland.com, and various Browns forums), the general public seems to have a favorable opinion of them. Us uniform geeks tend to have an unfavorable opinion. If you ask me, the general public is a larger portion of society than uniform geeks. It is what it is.

Well, the new look isn't exactly Bucs level terrible so it's not surprising that "civilians" like it better than do the people of this community. FWIW, you should just stand behind your opinion. There's really no need to bring in outside sources because you think it will validate your opinion or validate a post you made a few days ago. We're all capable of going to other websites. And anything you post to support your opinion is not going to change the opinions of people who disagree with you.

True. But what it really comes down to is if Browns fans like them. Main reason is they are the ones who will be buying the jerseys and watching the team.

That's the reason people are posting Cleveland Fan polls.

How the Browns Should Look

• More Satin Looking Helmet
  • White Numbers
  • No Big Cleveland Wordmark
  • White Numbers with orange shadow

pwsHRhA.png

Soooo much better.
Disagree but to each there own.

No need to apologize most fans love the new uniforms.

Now get off my lawn!!

What do you mean "Most fans love the new uniforms"? How do you know that? It's been less than 24 hours.

He knows that because he's cool and hip, so all cool and hip people think like him. Also, Cleveland is apparently now cool and hip.

Wow! Your post reminded me of this!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUnyv5XUA8

Well no I'm 41 years old and not even close to hip. And I don't live in Cleveland.

I belong to a Browns Message board and there is a poll. Over 75% either love them or like them. With over 4000 voting.

Which is about .005 percent of all Browns fans.

Also, you're 41? No offense, but I figured you were about 15. Again, no offense, but your posts seem more like what the teenagers around here post.

I am actually pretty immature. I get it. I like making fun of people that take themselves way to serious. Which is about 90% on this board.

You people act like your opinion matters. Except for the handful of you that are actual designers your all a bunch of wannabes and it's quite pathetic. Analyzing and scrutinizing every little detail of a logo is lame.

In reality it doesnt mean anything unless your a fan of the team or the actual designer.

So go on Mr. important with your big bad self, insulting othe people's work and opinions.

Oh if you do happen to be a designer and post on this website it makes you even more lame.

Find another hobby, DUDE!!!!! Sorry just the 15 year old in me.

How the Browns Should Look

• More Satin Looking Helmet
  • NO Contrasting Stitches
  • No Big Cleveland Wordmark
  • White Numbers with orange shadow

pwsHRhA.png

Did you brighten the pants as well? I think the orange numbers would look better brightened like that. In the original photo the orange is too dark to pop from the brown.

This rebrand could've been much better if they hadn't had frickin' ugly orange numbers on the brown jersey. The white jersey is okay, and the orange jersey is pretty cool (even if an orange jersey paired with an orange helmet is kinda ridiculous for the Cleveland Browns ), but the brown jersey is downright atrocious. That shade of orange looks awful next to brown without white in between, not to mention that the Browns have had white numbers

Will you please just stop with this... How many times does it have to be said that the name DOESN'T MATTER.
Not to mention that the color and the name have no correlation. They weren't named for the color, they were named after Paul Brown. Maybe they then decided to use the color to match the name but this is a case of "Chicken or the Egg" where Paul Brown definitely came first.

The St. Louis Cardinals were named after the color of their socks. Today, that's just an historical footnote. Same with the Browns; the name originated from their founder and first coach, but that has long ceased to be the sole factor for it.

Took me a second to realize you were talking about the St. Louis Cardinals and not the St. Louis Cardinals.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Took me a second to realize you were talking about the St. Louis Cardinals and not the St. Louis Cardinals.

Yeah, the Cardinals were named after the slightly faded color of the second-hand University of Chicago Maroons jerseys the team purchased in 1901.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

No need to apologize most fans love the new uniforms.

Now get off my lawn!!

What do you mean "Most fans love the new uniforms"? How do you know that? It's been less than 24 hours.

He knows that because he's cool and hip, so all cool and hip people think like him. Also, Cleveland is apparently now cool and hip.

Wow! Your post reminded me of this!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ljUnyv5XUA8

Well no I'm 41 years old and not even close to hip. And I don't live in Cleveland.

I belong to a Browns Message board and there is a poll. Over 75% either love them or like them. With over 4000 voting.

Also, you're 41? No offense, but I figured you were about 15. Again, no offense, but your posts seem more like what the teenagers around here post.

I am actually pretty immature. I get it. I like making fun of people that take themselves way to serious. Which is about 90% on this board.

You people act like your opinion matters. Except for the handful of you that are actual designers your all a bunch of wannabes and it's quite pathetic. Analyzing and scrutinizing every little detail of a logo is lame.

In reality it doesnt mean anything unless your a fan of the team or the actual designer.

So go on Mr. important with your big bad self, insulting othe people's work and opinions.

Oh if you do happen to be a designer and post on this website it makes you even more lame.

I understand what you are saying, but you have to understand where you are. This forum is devoted to logos and visual identities of teams. Critiquing the uniforms is required. It would be like going to a video game thread and saying "well the people who bought the game love it... so that's all that matters." Well sure, but that doesn't mean the game they bought is without flaws or errors. The game play could be great, but the graphics could be terrible. Or the graphics could be spectacular, but have absolutly no substance when it comes to story.

Again, this is a forum devoted to sports identities. You shouldn't have an issue with people for voicing their opinions... AS LONG as those opinions are based on something. If someone was like "The Browns uniforms suck, because I hate the Browns!" That's bogus. But when someone says "Hey, the oversized wordmark and nickname on the pants looks like a highschool or college team." That's a valid point because, well, its all over the high school game, and is in the college game (though less than it was a few years back), and its the first time appearing in the NFL.

<p>

Nowhere near as bad as they could have been, but I see problems:

• The name on the pants
  • Monochrome Orange
  • Monochrome Brown (open season for wiseguy Steelers fans to say "Not only do you look like....you're playing like....")
  • The Brown jersey with orange numbers. They tried and failed with this 30 years ago and there isn't much difference in what they did this time around. Can they really say with a straight face that the new uniform is really better than this: $(KGrHqJ,!rQFGJWNw)bwBRl7YZE6Fg~~60_35.J?

They wore monochrome Brown the past two seasons. And this version of monochrome Brown is much, much, much better.

And the only reason they ditched the Orange numbers on Brown jersey is because it did not show up well on television.

Now with HD television and great reception it should not be an issue. The team television and lighting tests.

The Orange numbers look great in my opinion.

The Cleveland on jersey and Browns on pants a well received by fans.

They were illegible in-stadium. HDTV doesn't fix that.

We'll see at the first preseason game. I think brown on orange and white on orange would look better for the numbers. . I'm also hoping the factory making the browns pants accidently burns to the ground and the pattern is deleted from Nike's computers thus forcing the Browns to use their pants from last year.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well, you really put me in my place, didn't you? :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

Archived