New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

-Lord Ice of the House of Cap, Warden of the Majestic XII and herald of Chris, the First of his name of the Creamer Dynasty. Long live the King!

Since when? I must have missed the meeting that week. B)

This is what happens when I do a five second Google search for "Freemason ranks" :D

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Lord Ice of the House of Cap, Warden of the Majestic XII and herald of Chris, the First of his name of the Creamer Dynasty. Long live the King!

This is what happens when I do a five second Google search for "Freemason ranks" :D

Perfect. I think I'd like the title of Majestic XII Master of the Royal Secret. Then again, Majestic XII Sovereign Grand Inspector General sounds pretty cool too.

BB52Big.jpg

Perfect. I think I'd like the title of Majestic XII Master of the Royal Secret. Then again, Majestic XII Sovereign Grand Inspector General sounds pretty cool too.

Can I just drive the little car?

shrinerferrarismall.jpg

Now, just to promote discussion:

One of the main gripes people have had with the fitted template era is the reduction of sleeve stripes to shoulder caps. It looks like the Browns and Nike tried to remedy this with the new Browns uniforms. The shoulder stripes extend passed the shoulder caps and onto the front of the jersey. How does everyone feel about Nike's attempt to provide longer shoulder/sleeve stripes?

i know the thread moves quick so i'll touch on this again.

you're right, the stripes that were designed as far back as the 60s no longer work on todays templates. they are a solution to a problem that has changed drastically (stripes were designed to wrap around long sleeves). the modern execution is to shoehorn the stripes into the modern cuts and because of that we get treatments like the Steelers and Lions.

hi-res-456916101-antonio-brown-of-the-pi

the proper solution here is to replace the graphic embellishments with something that works correctly in application. the jersey sleeves don't need to change much at all (it would be a performance downgrade), that would be doing things backwards. you dont change the product to fit the decoration.

the first example i can remember of this was Nike's OSU redesign. they took the traditional stripe and adjusted it to be consistent across multiple cuts and never appear shoe horned into the modern jersey. it is a stripe design that was designed FOR MODERN JERSEYS. it is a smart and well executed design that is now a textbook example of how to design for modern uniforms.

hi-res-457668165-quarterback-clint-chelf

what Nike did for the Browns and Seahawks is very similar. the stripes are consistent with all sleeve options and are never hacked or chopped. it doesn't really matter if we like the way it looks. that's just a pointless subjective debate. plenty like it, plenty do not. what is important is that the stripe was designed with these modern issues in mind and executed to solve them. there is a lot to talk about regarding bad choices and design with the uniform, but the stripe design is done really well.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Look at the Seahawks, they supposedly have nine combos, but you never see half of them, and they consistently wear one of the worst ones, the monochrome.

The Seahawks wore 6 different combos last year. Nobody will ever wear more then 8 combos in a year because alt jerseys are only allowed twice. Seattle's tradition now is to wear all navy at home (they've been doing it now for a decade). That's not going to change.

As for Cleveland, I'd expect them to wear 8 different combos in 2015. I think we'll see the orange jersey paired with the orange britches for one game and then likely the white pants for another game. They'll wear all pant combos with the brown and white jerseys. Which is what teams should do. Nothing lamer then seeing teams trot out the same tired combos (when they have other options and sometimes BETTER options) week-in and week-out. Yes Tennessee and Washington, I'm looking right at your ugly self).

And sorry to see yet another team ditch the striped socks. Maybe they'll make a triumphant comeback to football fashion in 30 years or so. Maybe Washington will get the hint and set fire to those monstrosities they've been wearing lately. They completely ruin their uniform.

One of the main gripes people have had with the fitted template era is the reduction of sleeve stripes to shoulder caps. It looks like the Browns and Nike tried to remedy this with the new Browns uniforms. The shoulder stripes extend passed the shoulder caps and onto the front of the jersey. How does everyone feel about Nike's attempt to provide longer shoulder/sleeve stripes?

you're right, the stripes that were designed as far back as the 60s no longer work on todays templates. they are a solution to a problem that has changed drastically (stripes were designed to wrap around long sleeves). the modern execution is to shoehorn the stripes into the modern cuts and because of that we get treatments like the Steelers and Lions.

hi-res-456916101-antonio-brown-of-the-pi

the proper solution here is to replace the graphic embellishments with something that works correctly in application. the jersey sleeves don't need to change much at all (it would be a performance downgrade), that would be doing things backwards. you dont change the product to fit the decoration.

the first example i can remember of this was Nike's OSU redesign. they took the traditional stripe and adjusted it to be consistent across multiple cuts and never appear shoe horned into the modern jersey. it is a stripe design that was designed FOR MODERN JERSEYS. it is a smart and well executed design that is now a textbook example of how to design for modern uniforms.

hi-res-457668165-quarterback-clint-chelf

what Nike did for the Browns and Seahawks is very similar. the stripes are consistent with all sleeve options and are never hacked or chopped. it doesn't really matter if we like the way it looks. that's just a pointless subjective debate. plenty like it, plenty do not. what is important is that the stripe was designed with these modern issues in mind and executed to solve them. there is a lot to talk about regarding bad choices and design with the uniform, but the stripe design is done really well.

In my opinion, the neutering Nike did with the Steelers and 49ers is pathetic. From what I have read on here, the NFL only allows manufacturing logos on the shoulder caps. I think there are 2 ways to remedy this.

• Move the manufacturing logo to the front of the jersey, like in college. Why? Because it makes more sense there. In the NFL, the only thing that typically appears on the front of the jersey is the large numbers, an NFL logo, and maybe a very small team wordmark (teams that have logos/crests/shields on the front of their jersey look bush league to me, i.e. Pittsburgh, Jacksonville). There is so much room to add the Nike swoosh. Contrast that to college, where the front of the jersey has large numbers, large wordmarks (not all, but some), conference logo, Nike swoosh, and team logo in the color. This create what I call the "NASCAR Effect."
  • The second option revolves around the location of the Nike logo on the shoulder cap. In the Steelers picture you posted, why can't Nike move up the stripes to show the entire stripe, and place the logo in the larger, middle of the yellow stripe? Is that against NFL policy?

[steelers pic]

[Oklahoma State pic]

In my opinion, the neutering Nike did with the Steelers and 49ers is pathetic. From what I have read on here, the NFL only allows manufacturing logos on the shoulder caps. I think there are 2 ways to remedy this.

• Move the manufacturing logo to the front of the jersey, like in college. Why? Because it makes more sense there. In the NFL, the only thing that typically appears on the front of the jersey is the large numbers, an NFL logo, and maybe a very small team wordmark (teams that have logos/crests/shields on the front of their jersey look bush league to me, i.e. Pittsburgh, Jacksonville). There is so much room to add the Nike swoosh. Contrast that to college, where the front of the jersey has large numbers, large wordmarks (not all, but some), conference logo, Nike swoosh, and team logo in the color. This create what I call the "NASCAR Effect."
  • The second option revolves around the location of the Nike logo on the shoulder cap. In the Steelers picture you posted, why can't Nike move up the stripes to show the entire stripe, and place the logo in the larger, middle of the yellow stripe? Is that against NFL policy?

Nike didn't do that to the Niners—Reebok did. I would assume the NFL would have let them fix the stripes with the switch to Nike, but the Niners chose not to.

Denver+Broncos+v+San+Francisco+49ers+KzI

Regarding the placement of the Nike logo, the NFL wants The Shield™ front and center on the jersey, with no competition from things like supplier logos. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find a source, but I do remember this being a talking point when Nike got the deal.

The Seahawks wore 6 different combos last year. Nobody will ever wear more then 8 combos in a year because alt jerseys are only allowed twice. Seattle's tradition now is to wear all navy at home (they've been doing it now for a decade). That's not going to change.

As for Cleveland, I'd expect them to wear 8 different combos in 2015. I think we'll see the orange jersey paired with the orange britches for one game and then likely the white pants for another game. They'll wear all pant combos with the brown and white jerseys. Which is what teams should do. Nothing lamer then seeing teams trot out the same tired combos (when they have other options and sometimes BETTER options) week-in and week-out. Yes Tennessee and Washington, I'm looking right at your ugly self).

And sorry to see yet another team ditch the striped socks. Maybe they'll make a triumphant comeback to football fashion in 30 years or so. Maybe Washington will get the hint and set fire to those monstrosities they've been wearing lately. They completely ruin their uniform.

I agree. Teams need to have three pants and wear each with every jersey. 8 combos for all. Because seeing the same thing eight times over four months is boring. Also, I eat paint chips.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Just for fun. My two brown/brown concepts vs the actual.

2_vs_original.jpg

I'm still a little shocked that I don't hate the new uniforms. *insert joke.* They ended up better than I'd anticipated, even from the leaks. I'm actually fairly impressed. I was absolutely expecting another Bucs look. I'll still reserve final judgement until I actually see them on the field.

The only primary things I don't like are the traffic cone orange primary color and the drop shadow. Initially I thought the jersey wordmark was too big but I don't think it looks right in the fixed smaller versions posted by Bucksfan.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't mind and actually like the wordmark on the pants. I was going for something similarly modern with the front stripe on the pants. They're initially a little garish, a bit of attention whoring, but the name is the logo. And I imagine from a distance it reads more like a broken stripe of brown or orange. Especially so when it's on the move instead of static as it's presented here.

I vote for the middle one.

87Redskins.png

Just for fun. My two brown/brown concepts vs the actual.

2_vs_original.jpg

I'm still a little shocked that I don't hate the new uniforms. *insert joke.* They ended up better than I'd anticipated, even from the leaks. I'm actually fairly impressed. I was absolutely expecting another Bucs look. I'll still reserve final judgement until I actually see them on the field.

The only primary things I don't like are the traffic cone orange primary color and the drop shadow. Initially I thought the jersey wordmark was too big but I don't think it looks right in the fixed smaller versions posted by Bucksfan.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't mind and actually like the wordmark on the pants. I was going for something similarly modern with the front stripe on the pants. They're initially a little garish, a bit of attention whoring, but the name is the logo. And I imagine from a distance it reads more like a broken stripe of brown or orange. Especially so when it's on the move instead of static as it's presented here.

I vote for the middle one.

Image not working for me.

I like it. The easiest solution would be to just enforce the NFL's existing rules on sleeve length, but short of that? I'm a fan of the bolder, longer stripes.

Totally agree. Sleeves are gone and that real estate is fertile ground. the ONLY thing I like about the Seahawks unis is that they are willing to engage that space in a new way.

MUCH preferable to pushing the numerals down down further down with chest logos and wordmarks.

Pushing everything down looks dumpy. Pushing everything across the broad shoulders (enhanced further by pads) makes form/function sense.

See Captain America's outfit in Winter Soldier.

It's not "traditional" but it makes sense on many levels.

We can't be so traditionalist that we ignore when Nike or any vendor gets something correct.

Like a freight train with stickum

shrinerferrarismall.jpg

Those are Shriners, not Masons.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

shrinerferrarismall.jpg

Those are Shriners, not Masons.

http://www.shrinersinternational.org/en/Shriners/MasonShriners/Masons

"All Shriners are Masons, but not all Masons are Shriners."

Can you put that in a Venn diagram for me so I can visualize it?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I am actually pretty immature. I get it. I like making fun of people that take themselves way to serious. Which is about 90% on this board.

You people act like your opinion matters. Except for the handful of you that are actual designers your all a bunch of wannabes and it's quite pathetic. Analyzing and scrutinizing every little detail of a logo is lame.

In reality it doesnt mean anything unless your a fan of the team or the actual designer.

So go on Mr. important with your big bad self, insulting othe people's work and opinions.

Oh if you do happen to be a designer and post on this website it makes you even more lame.

Find another hobby, DUDE!!!!! Sorry just the 15 year old in me.

darkness-frank-stefanko1.jpg

BAD POSTS

YOU GOTTA READ 'EM EVERY DAY

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here is my ratings for this upgrade compared to their previous set and my all-time favorite Browns set.

I realize the ratings are small, so here they are (scale 0-10, with 10 being perfect):

• 2015: 6.71
  • Previous: 7.53
  • All-Time Set: 8.43

Browns%2BUniform%2BRating.PNG

spacer.png

Archived