New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

temp041415-reveal-03--nfl_mezz_1280_1024

The more I see the pants the more I hate them. Okay, even with all the flaws of this set, it would look decent (but still worse than the last set) if the stripes covered the entire length of the pants. They would look like an unremarkable set Nike might have given any college team in the late '90s. So why do they have the wordmark there? Because Nike. Nike couldn't stop itself, and couldn't let that happen. Even on a jersey emphasizing a common and simple striping pattern, they had to do something to show that these uniforms were designed and produced by Nike. If the stripes went the whole length "these look like boring jerseys produced by Champion." But half stripes with words underneath, "Wow. These look dope."

If you think further, no team Nike's redesigned has had a traditional-style pants stripe. The Dolphins deviated from the consistent 3 or 5/7 stripe pants they had used their entire history to a really thick center stripe surrounded by piping, essentially. The Vikings went with a thick stripe with two thinner stripes in front of it. Even when it's clearly to the detriment of the overall look or when it deviates from the rest of the design, Nike just can't bring itself to design pants that look like football pants which might have been worn before.

Nike has been destroying uniforms pants for the last several years in college and I don't understand what the point is in making changes when they are not needed. Below is a brief list of schools that Nike overhauled and destroyed the pants in the process:

• Miami Hurricanes
  • Arizona Wildcats
  • Arizona State Sun Devils
  • Arkansas Razorbacks
  • Baylor Bears

This is what Nike did to my alma mater (in the MAC!!):

UB-clinic.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

temp041415-reveal-03--nfl_mezz_1280_1024

The more I see the pants the more I hate them. Okay, even with all the flaws of this set, it would look decent (but still worse than the last set) if the stripes covered the entire length of the pants. They would look like an unremarkable set Nike might have given any college team in the late '90s. So why do they have the wordmark there? Because Nike. Nike couldn't stop itself, and couldn't let that happen. Even on a jersey emphasizing a common and simple striping pattern, they had to do something to show that these uniforms were designed and produced by Nike. If the stripes went the whole length "these look like boring jerseys produced by Champion." But half stripes with words underneath, "Wow. These look dope."

If you think further, no team Nike's redesigned has had a traditional-style pants stripe. The Dolphins deviated from the consistent 3 or 5/7 stripe pants they had used their entire history to a really thick center stripe surrounded by piping, essentially. The Vikings went with a thick stripe with two thinner stripes in front of it. Even when it's clearly to the detriment of the overall look or when it deviates from the rest of the design, Nike just can't bring itself to design pants that look like football pants which might have been worn before.

Nike has been destroying uniforms pants for the last several years in college and I don't understand what the point is in making changes when they are not needed. Below is a brief list of schools that Nike overhauled and destroyed the pants in the process:

• Miami Hurricanes
  • Arizona Wildcats
  • Arizona State Sun Devils
  • Arkansas Razorbacks
  • Baylor Bears

This is what Nike did to my alma mater (in the MAC!!):

UB-clinic.jpg

Nike didn't do that... they picked those out of a catalog.

While I agree with almost everyone in that the pants lettering goes a long way to ruin this set, I think there are other ways it could work. Simply omitting the lettering and leaving a 1/3 or 2/3 stripe wouldn't look bad if they really wanted a contemporary look to the pants. If we MUST have the lettering, maybe using the contrast stitching theme for them (brown on white, orange on brown, brown on orange) wouldn't been more subtle.

I don't know what Nike has been thinking with the pants on the NFL uniforms.

I don't know what Nike has been thinking with the pants on the NFL uniforms.

Swag? Fire? Things that are somewhat acceptable for a school that changes uniforms every couple years but shouldn't appear in the NFL were a look should be timeless...

We believe in timeless design with everything we do, Van Horne said. We want to still look good 30 years from now and we think we've got a good combination here that will look good 30 years from now. You look at the (old uniforms) and say they still hold up. We strive for that. We're not doing this just to get a reaction, we're doing these things for the power of Cleveland's story and the power of their history.

This Nike Clown has to be kidding right? Contrasting stitching and pants wordmark (which are already stupid) will look as good as these guys in a couple years.

Boy-Band-90s-fashion-trends-coming-back.

Nike hasn't screwed up EVERY nfl team they touch. They did pretty well on the vikings and dolphins:

http://www.rantsports.com/fantasy/files/2014/06/Vikings.jpg

http://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2014/09/TannehillWallace.jpg

Also, I'd take all of this extra crap Nike is putting on other teams over what Reebok did with piping and sidepanels

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

On the whole I love these new uniforms. I consider myself stridently anti-Nike (couldn't be more thrilled that my Manchester United has switched to Adidas), but this Cleveland update is a win for me. They didn't go crazy except with the typeface on the pants, which is just enough to shake up the entire design. I know most of you hate the pants but I really dig them. The carbon fiber texture on the brown stripes is just subtle enough to be a nice touch too.

What bothers me is the nine different combinations. They should just stick to the orange pants and pair them with brown jerseys at home and white on the road. The all-brown and all-orange looks are unattractive. I also really like the bold Cleveland wordmark on the jerseys. Overall it's a thumbs up from me, and the Browns are now one of the best dressed teams in the NFL.

Now hopefully they can fix my Niners. There's just so much potential with red and gold and the team hasn't really found the right look yet.

kGFTWyb.png

I don't see these as Buccaneer-level crappy, and for some reason which I can't even figure out, I am OK with the pants. What bugs me is:

1. The orange numbers on the brown jersey. White with orange shadow would be much stronger.

2. The striping on the brown jersey. I am just not a fan of orange-white-orange.

3. The large CLEVELAND on the jerseys. I would have preferred a small name or using the B-in-Football logo.

4. Any unitard combo. Of all the combos available I still prefer some basics: White jersey with any pants, Brown jersey with white or orange pants, Orange jersey only with white pants.

On the list of NIKE disasters, I see this as much better than Tampa, slightly better than Jacksonville (that helmet, ugh), just below Seattle (too much going on) and not as acceptable as Miami (Decent) and Minnesota (a huge upgrade).

Nike hasn't screwed up EVERY nfl team they touch. They did pretty well on the vikings and dolphins:

http://www.rantsports.com/fantasy/files/2014/06/Vikings.jpg

http://cdn1.bloguin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2014/09/TannehillWallace.jpg

Also, I'd take all of this extra crap Nike is putting on other teams over what Reebok did with piping and sidepanel

Remove that water park logo from the helmets and replace it with the old Dolphins logo, and that Dolphins uniform- especially the all-whites- is nearly perfect.

kGFTWyb.png

"League's largest wordmarks"

...as if that's something to circle on your promo sheet and brag about. Congrats Browns, you win that title. And here's to a long reign... because I really don't want to see someone top it.

That's my takeaway.

Well that and the jersey reminded me of a '90s Colosseum fashion jersey. Then I found a pic and maybe not:

mYsiywODTwr0CzZdAXPJXBA.jpg

But still, this idea seems to be similar: Take a simple jersey and "jazz it up" with everything you've got.

Wordmarks!

Dropshadows!

...and contrast stitching? Even Colosseum wouldn't be so bold.

Archived