New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things I notice right away.

1. The name on the pants is horrible. I don't know how they could look good, even if the stripes continued through the word-mark.

2. The stripes should be consistent with the helmet stripes at all time. The orange in the middle is a bit odd to me.

Seeing these in action, the numbers and pants wordmark are the only things I would change. I love the helmet and I think the jersey stripes work really well.

The numbers and the pants stripes are kind of big deals when it comes to football uniforms.

They messed this up, and I'm not sure how they go 5 years with this set. I legitimately feel for their fanbase. These are #31.5 in the league.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

0ap3000000509644.jpg

temp081315redskins8--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.

temp081315redskins6--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.

http://prod.images.browns.clubs.nflcdn.com/image-

web/NFL/CDA/data/deployed/prod/BROWNS/assets/images/imported/CLE/photos/clubimages/2015/08-August/temp081315redskins3--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

It's amazing how both the bad and the good all hits you in the face at the same time. On one hand it's another Bucs-level flop. On the other hand, it's a few tweaks away from being a Vikings-level modern update. It's frustrating to look at. There's just so much wasted potential with this set. They really had a shot at coming up with something nice, yet they flushed it down the drain in favor of pant-stripe lettering, strange fonts, and non-traditional number colors.

Totally agree.

Seeing these new uniforms in action just confirms that these coulda been something but ended up garbage.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Here's how I'd fix the Browns: Go back to the old uniforms but with orange pants.

FIFY
Actually, I meant to include that part but forgot for whatever reason :P

I agree go back to the old ones, keep the facemask, add orange pants and use the camo jerseys as an alt

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I don't know how I can admit this, but I thought the Browns looked great on TV. I hated this look when it was unveiled, I hated it when I saw the pictures, I could not fathom that the team would go forward with such a hideous set. Maybe it was because the monochrome white made the orange and brown pop, but I liked it. And I fully accept being considered crazy or blind to decent aesthetical taste.

I still think the Browns need to come up with a decent main logo, and ditch the helmet. Not the Dawg Pound logo, but incorporating a bulldog wouldn't be a bad idea. Also, it may be off topic, but I liked the sideline/wall coverings. Simple, but nice. Maybe I just enjoy the team's colors.

Here's how I'd fix the Browns: Go back to the old uniforms but with orange pants.

FIFY
Actually, I meant to include that part but forgot for whatever reason :P

I agree go back to the old ones, keep the facemask, add orange pants and use the camo jerseys as an alt

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope...

Nope.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

remove the letters from the pants and the uniform improves immensely.

And stretch the pant stripe down to about 7/8 length. The wordmark on the legs could work if it were smaller and placed up at the hip but the look would be better without them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

temp081315redskins19--nfl_mezz_1280_1024Greater_than_symbol.jpgmitchell-schwartz-nfl-preseason-clevelan

Actually, I was surprised how good the new orange looked last night. On print it looked safety cone-ish, but in HD, at night, with the matte-ish finish, it looked good. I was waiting to see the unis on the field before I made up my mind, and I think these look right. Besides the pant word stripe, these uniforms, at least the white on white, have a very simple, straightforward look to them. Comparing to other recent redesigns, these are much more Dolphins or Vikings, then Jaguars or Buccaneers. The shoulder stripes on these look especially better than the old ones, imo. It gives them a harder, fiercer look. The drop shadow numbers are barely noticeable on TV. I could take or leave the Browns on the pants. At least from the standard wide TV view, it appears like a broken brown stripe down the leg, like I figured it would.

gamehighlights-pnc-576.jpg

browns-vs-redskins-preseason-game-action

preseason.jpg
preseason2.jpg

After watching the game, the Browns uniforms aren't nearly as bad as predicted... but not great either.

THE GOOD:

• The new orange is fantastic. It actually pops as opposed to the old orange that looked dull and washed out.
  • The helmet does have some sort of finish to it. I won't say its matte but I won't say its satin either. There is some sort of finish though.
  • Carrying the 3 stripe to the shoulder pads was a very good design move. As we have discussed, for a team who's basic identity is an orange helmet with just stripes, reinforcing the stripes onto the jersey is a smart move from a design and brand perspective.
  • I really like the orange numbers. I think it makes a huge difference with the white on white look. The white on white was 1 of my least favorite look in the NFL when the Browns would wear it. The white on white now looks at least decent.

THE BAD:

• Even in HD, the stitching isn't noticeable except on huddle and sideline shots... and even on those shots... its not distracting. You can see something is there, but with EVERYTHING else going on on the field, you don't notice unless you are looking for it.
  • Similar to the stitching, the over sized CLEVELAND wordmark isn't as distracting on field with everything else going on. It still should be smaller, or not there, but its not AS BAD.
  • The pattern on the helmet stripe is pretty much unnoticeable... but every once and a while you can see it reflecting in the lights. Nothing crazy... but just pointless.

THE UGLY:

• The BROWNS on the pants is bad... really bad. It was such a great moving carrying the 3 stripes to the jersey... but then they truncated it on the pants and got rid of such a nice branding element. I don't see it lasting long. I don't see the over sized CLEVELAND lasting long either.
  • The numbers are bad. They developed a nice custom font for the logos and wordmarks... but then they inexplicably changed it for the uniforms. The angled notches give the optical allusion that the numbers are slanted or on an angle.

I will admit it was incredibly weird seeing the different uniforms. It was almost like watching a movie trying to imitate the Browns without being penalized for copyright infringement.

Archived