New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

Coming from a big Browns fan, I officially hate these uniforms. The only good things that came from this set was the helmet, and orange pants/jerseys.

The number font sucks, the number color sucks, the up shadow is stupid, the sleeve stripe extends too far, the pants are god awful, and literally everything is worse than the last set. The jerseys feel like a MAC school trying to be trendy and copying Oregon, Maryland, and Seattle.

Change for the sake of change, and I can't wait until we get throwbacks or a return to the previous set. Cleveland gonna Cleveland.

I've gotta give them some credit, the helmet looks good. Every single other change is a mess.

My thoughts exactly I love the helmet but besides that nothing really to see so I just ignore the rest of it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my count the Browns new uniform has 16 bad decisions and only 1 good decision (orange pants)

Also, colorwerx tweeted that the numbers actually have a bumpy dot texture to them because the Browns numbers are a basketball?

https://twitter.com/ColorWerx/status/631296185681100800/photo/1

fake edit: the 16 7 bad decisions are

- matte helmet finish - I like it

- pointless carbon fiber brown stripe made worse by the nike speak claiming it symbolizes Cleveland's blue collar industry - I like it

- brown facemask - I like it

- orange numbers on the brown jersey - make them white

- orange numbers on the white jersey - make them brown

- number font - I like it

- dot texture in the numbers - too subtle to make a difference

- the rise shadow on the numbers - it's unique and it works for them

- that they deliberately choose to use the rise shadow on the numbers, but not on the giant Cleveland wordmark - I don't have a problem with it

- giant Cleveland wordmark - make it smaller

- sleeve stripes extending inwards towards the chest - I think it works

- CONTRASTING STITCHING - WHAT ARE THEY DOING THAT IS GOD AWFUL

- truncated pants stripe

- BROWNS on the pant leg - normal pants stripes please

- orange socks - I don't have an issue with it as an option, but it shouldn't be the primary

- brown pants - just stick with white and orange please

That's not even mentioning the new bad logo that doesnt even appear on the uniform. The whole thing is a complete mess

I think that the uniforms are bad, but definitely salvageable. They aren't the monstrosity they are portrayed to be.

I agree. People seem OK with Seattle and (neck-down) Jacksonville. I think these are within fewer tweaks of decent than those two disasters.

The helmet is great; no more "sore thumb" gray facemask. The brown mask is outstanding. That the numbers are orange is fine by me. Brown pants (with the white jersey) is fine by me.

Tweaks that could make this an OK set:

• Fix the bizarre number angles.
  • Change the "rise shadows" to outlines
  • Get the wordmark off of the pants.
  • Big Cleveland wordmark (though that does not bug me that much)
  • Shorten the sleeve stripes (i.e., keep 'em on the sleeves")

OK, that's a lot of things, but with the exception of the pants wordmark, none of these is make or break. If they can dump the pants wordmark and fix the numbers, they will be solid.

Without a doubt, I like this update better than Jacksonville, Seattle, Tampa, and Miami (though Miami is also a few tweaks from decent). Maybe even better than the Vikings (which I think is overrated). There was nothing special enough about the Browns uniforms to me...being an (officially, anyway) older team, you would not wanted to have seen them look like Seahawks East, but this uniform (aside from the pants) are not like that.

For me these are a thumbs down. But if they fixed just the pants, I think I'd go thumbs up.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

temp081315redskins19--nfl_mezz_1280_1024Greater_than_symbol.jpgmitchell-schwartz-nfl-preseason-clevelan

Actually, I was surprised how good the new orange looked last night. On print it looked safety cone-ish, but in HD, at night, with the matte-ish finish, it looked good. I was waiting to see the unis on the field before I made up my mind, and I think these look right. Besides the pant word stripe, these uniforms, at least the white on white, have a very simple, straightforward look to them. Comparing to other recent redesigns, these are much more Dolphins or Vikings, then Jaguars or Buccaneers. The shoulder stripes on these look especially better than the old ones, imo. It gives them a harder, fiercer look. The drop shadow numbers are barely noticeable on TV. I could take or leave the Browns on the pants. At least from the standard wide TV view, it appears like a broken brown stripe down the leg, like I figured it would.

browns-vs-redskins-preseason-game-action

That brown facemask looks great! If it was not for the stripe not going down the entire leg and the orange numbers, this would be a nice looking uniform.

spacer.png

So, the only element of this entire rebrand which isn't entirely horrible is the helmet. But even with that, the facemask just kinda looks black from any distance. Good job, you guys.

Also, as much as people fellated Nike about these matte fabrics allowing richer colors which aren't washed out by shininess, the brown striping looks awful on all the shots I've seen. In the images posted today, the striping looks kinda ambiguous. Like, we see it and know/assume that it's brown because we know these are the Cleveland Browns. But if we're looking at these without specifically knowing what to expect, we might not know if the team is using brown, black or slate (yes, ignoring the derpy pants wordmark). It could be that all the AP photos posted here were poorly shot and the color actually showed up better on TV, but these certainly don't give a good impression. And I realize that the brown looking blackish has been an issue for them since they darkened the brown in the Reebok era.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yea I agree with you JH360. I can live with the pants, and I can see why they did it. If they were so sold on keeping the "notched" stripes in the pants, i would've started the stripes from the bottom of the pants and made them stop about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up, allowing them to keep the notch where the stripes stop.

Just my two cents. Overall I love it.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I think the Browns started off with the least offensive combo last night. The pants looked every bit as terrible as I expected and that is only going to get worse when they start mixing in the non-white jerseys and pants.

One thing I noticed on closeup shots is that there was also a white outline around the numbers. Overall, last night was probably the best they're going to look until they retire this set.

temp081315redskins19--nfl_mezz_1280_1024mitchell-schwartz-nfl-preseason-clevelan

Seeing them side-by-side like this only highlights just how blasted easy it is to make these into a really good set (and no, "just use the old ones" isn't an option). All the elements of a solid update are right there, but Nike and the Browns just had to add/change more than what was necessary.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

These looked better on the field than I thought they would, especially the orange socks (which I abhorred when I first saw them at the unveiling). There's no getting around what a terrible idea the "BROWNS" wordmark on the pants is. Still, as a fan of the team, I think I can live with this set for the next five years.

One thing I will say, though: They need to go back to the drawing board with that shade of orange the used on the field. I know they wanted something to correlate to the new orange on the uniforms, but that was way too dark. It looked nothing like the uniforms and it was very muddled with the brown in the end zones. Maybe it will look better in daylight, but I don't know.

The helmets look great. The shoulder stripes come too far forward, but I can live with the 'Browns' wording on the pants. I wish they would use the word 'Cleveland' on the away jersey and 'Browns' on the home jerseys.

B. Fass
Lancaster, PA

Nationals, Senators, Cowboys, DC United, Wizards

Washington-Nationals-Logo-HD.jpg.281d0e8be98a8521d34280de8329814f.jpgf29b882649e94f47737fee9f5b5b001f.gif.b4758c5fa8639d2f66ee458c1f7b27f9.gifmedium_DCU_20Crest_on_20white.png.4035fbad4dcbf26991bc729beadb718e.png59e126b48fe75_cowboyslogosmall.jpg.27ea81b23b230e77e0460934b5f36e74.jpg

Also, as much as people fellated Nike about these matte fabrics allowing richer colors which aren't washed out by shininess

Wait, did people actually say that? Because Nike's matte fabrics make colors appear far more washed out.

Matte fabrics don't make the colors washed out. The perfect example is the Eagles.

Shiny

folesslideshow.jpg

Matte

trent-cole-nfl-tennessee-titans-philadel

Seeing these in action, the numbers and pants wordmark are the only things I would change. I love the helmet and I think the jersey stripes work really well.

The numbers and the pants stripes are kind of big deals when it comes to football uniforms.

They messed this up, and I'm not sure how they go 5 years with this set. I legitimately feel for their fanbase. These are #31.5 in the league.

Wasn't saying they didn't mess it up or that they look great. But they're not the abominations / worst-of-all-time that some are making them out to be.

Also, as much as people fellated Nike about these matte fabrics allowing richer colors which aren't washed out by shininess

Wait, did people actually say that? Because Nike's matte fabrics make colors appear far more washed out.

Matte fabrics don't make the colors washed out. The perfect example is the Eagles.

Shiny

folesslideshow.jpg

Matte

I think the top one looks far superior to the bottom one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Shiny

folesslideshow.jpg

Matte

I guess that means you prefer burnt bread to toast

"Washed out" is probably the incorrect term, but people claimed that the matte fabrics make the colors more true, where as the shiny fabrics distort them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Shiny

folesslideshow.jpg

Matte

Or he prefers colours as they were intended. The Eagles' midnight was designed with shimmer fabric in mind. Nike struggled reproducing it in their matte fabric, and it shows. Whether you prefer it in matte or not is a matter of opinion*, but it's clear that it had to be altered by Nike.

*Nike fanboys need to stop assuming Nike's "superiority" is an accepted fact.

The Eagles' jade (or whatever they hell they call it) has always had difficulties in matte applications. The hats that New Era and Reebok before them have produced always looked really weird. You'd see the shimmery, unique jerseys and then these bright caps that are a few shades darker than teal. There might be more color consistency with the Eagles now, but they look worse overall.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Shiny

folesslideshow.jpg

Matte

Or he prefers colours as they were intended. The Eagles' midnight was designed with shimmer fabric in mind. Nike struggled reproducing it in their matte fabric, and it shows. Whether you prefer it in matte or not is a matter of opinion*, but it's clear that it had to be altered by Nike.

*Nike fanboys need to stop assuming Nike's "superiority" is an accepted fact.

I'll take the one on the bottom 10/10 times, and not because it's Nike.

Archived