New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither of these helmet colors would be the worst thing in the world - as long as they don't go Buccaneers crazy with the rest of the uniform.

Orange-Oregon-State-Helmet-1.jpeg

This shell would not be bad at all as long as the textured stripes are brown and white. I would also expect them to dump the gray facemask and go along the lines of USC's chrome facemask.

ncaa-football-colorado-southern-californ

spacer.png

I think the change in orange in necessary. The current Browns' orange looks like they pulled it from an old, faded sweat shirt. I think the Oklahoma State and Oregon State oranges play MUCH better with the darker shades (black/dark gray/brown). I am cautiously optimistic about the colors.

The textured helmet worries me. I think it would be a nice contrast on the shell, but not on the stripes. I am leaning towards more of Missouri's sublimated tiger stripes, just with the horizontal stripes from the socks of the Brownie Elf logo.

Bumping this for content.

A report from clevelandscene.com is citing Paul Lukas of UniWatch about 2 changes coming to the Browns uniforms, both concerning the helmet:

1. The stripe will have some sort of “new texture.”

2. There will be a new shade of orange, which will be more like Oklahoma State’s or Oregon State’s color.

SOURCE: http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/12/02/two-little-changes-coming-to-the-browns-helmets-in-2015-uniform-redesign

Down goes the helmet. This is going to be a disaster.

Yep. They said they weren't touching the helmet. We figured they were lying, and here's the confirmation. I'm guessing the source was referring to the finish of the helmet changing rather than the shade of orange. I'd guess 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Browns' current shade and OkState's shade if they were shown on a TV in the same format (and not right next to each other). We're not talking the difference between Tennessee's orange and Texas's orange here. I think they're going with some chrome trash. As for the helmet stripes, I agree that they'll almost certainly differ from the shape of the current ones. I'm guessing they make them wide and tapered, ending halfway down the back of the helmet, like the stripe on those awful tOSU throwbacks Nike created. This rebrand is going to be very Nike.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yep. They said they weren't touching the helmet. We figured they were lying, and here's the confirmation. I'm guessing the source was referring to the finish of the helmet changing rather than the shade of orange. I'd guess 99 out of 100 people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the Browns' current shade and OkState's shade if they were shown on a TV in the same format (and not right next to each other). We're not talking the difference between Tennessee's orange and Texas's orange here. I think they're going with some chrome trash. As for the helmet stripes, I agree that they'll almost certainly differ from the shape of the current ones. I'm guessing they make them wide and tapered, ending halfway down the back of the helmet, like the stripe on those awful tOSU throwbacks Nike created. This rebrand is going to be very Nike.

I mocked up a sample of that helmet in the Concepts maybe a year ago. I don't think the helmet is going to get butchered. One of the three conditions Haslem bought the team under was not putting a logo on the helmet. So, theoretically, they could do anything to the finish, color, stripes, etc. without violating those conditions.

That being said... I don't think it is going be that much of a change. There will definitely be SOMETHING very Nike about these uniforms and the helmets. I was worried it would be a chrome facemask, but this "finish" could be something great (matte) or could be something disastrous.

Why can't they give the Browns a Vikings kind of of change?

Who says they aren't? The Vikings changed the finish of their helmet.

I actually have no problem with the browns current look but I think something similar to okst's finish would look beautiful.

Maybe by textured they mean like leather stripes similar to the redskins/a&m's throwbacks?

Maybe it will be a rust-like texture as a nod to the Rust Belt. I'm joking but I'm scared that there is even a possibility of some truth to this.

I would have thought this was obvious, but maybe not. Nobody in the mid-west refers to themselves as living in the "rust belt". It's pretty much a derogatory term... as in "used to have industry and status, now just rust". I promise you, nobody would try to brand themselves to mid-westerners as the rust team.

Maybe it will be a rust-like texture as a nod to the Rust Belt. I'm joking but I'm scared that there is even a possibility of some truth to this.

I would have thought this was obvious, but maybe not. Nobody in the mid-west refers to themselves as living in the "rust belt". It's pretty much a derogatory term... as in "used to have industry and status, now just rust". I promise you, nobody would try to brand themselves to mid-westerners as the rust team.

Yeah I honestly didn't know. I have never been in the Midwest. It sounds derogatory but for all I knew, it may habe had a second meaning.

Why does Nike have to change the shade of orange? There's nothing wrong with it don't touch it.

Who said it is Nike that is changing it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why does Nike have to change the shade of orange? There's nothing wrong with it don't touch it.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is more a Haslem thing. His background is all Steelers and Tennessee. My guess is he doesn't have much attachment to Browns tradition. Good, bad, or otherwise, Haslem knows a new Browns look is guaranteed to sell a bunch of new merchandise. Taking my bias out of the equation, I think it's a smart business move.

BB52Big.jpg

A new Browns look could be fantastic as long as it's more Texans and less Bucs. If they keep the numbers single-color and "strong", they might just be able to pull this off.

Orange (any of he shades mentioned), brown (id prefer a lighter brown) and gray/silver (not chrome) look great together.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A new Browns look could be fantastic as long as it's more Texans and less Bucs. If they keep the numbers single-color and "strong", they might just be able to pull this off.

Orange (any of he shades mentioned), brown (id prefer a lighter brown) and gray/silver (not chrome) look great together.

Which is why a late 80s Padres away jersey is pretty great. :)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is more a Haslem thing. His background is all Steelers and Tennessee. My guess is he doesn't have much attachment to Browns tradition. Good, bad, or otherwise, Haslem knows a new Browns look is guaranteed to sell a bunch of new merchandise. Taking my bias out of the equation, I think it's a smart business move.

I doubt the average fan (or licensee for that matter) will notice the difference if the browns do change shades of brown or orange. Will they change? If nike's involved you can pretty much bet on it because nike always knows better and they have a habit of touching every single aspect of a uniform just to let everyone else know that their design team is the best. Haslam also seems like the type of sucker that buys into fluffy marketing BS so I'm willing to bet he gave them as much freedom as they asked for. The biggest driver of incremental merch sales will obviously be new jerseys and if they actually adopt a primary logo or word mark.

Archived