New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So no helmet today?

I doubt it, the guy this rumor originated from doesn't have any credibility really. However, he's still sticking to his story and he thinks it will be later in the day, but I don't believe him. I guess we'll see.

I feel like prime time to release it has passed. Don't these teams usually shoot for between 11AM and 2PM for announcements/press conferences. The only reason they could be waiting may have to do with the combine? Are there some sort of media availability that goes until a certain time?

So no helmet today?

I doubt it, the guy this rumor originated from doesn't have any credibility really. However, he's still sticking to his story and he thinks it will be later in the day, but I don't believe him. I guess we'll see.

I feel like prime time to release it has passed. Don't these teams usually shoot for between 11AM and 2PM for announcements/press conferences. The only reason they could be waiting may have to do with the combine? Are there some sort of media availability that goes until a certain time?

According to him it will be revealed on NFL Total Access late tonight like the Tampa Bay helmet was last year. According to this guy they released the Tampa Bay helmet around 9 ET last year but that sounds weird to me.

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So no helmet today?

The Bucs did release their's in the evening, though they gave us some warning to tune in.

For those wondering how a brown facemask will look:

8100524.jpg

That is nice, but this is so much better:

Bowling%20Green.jpg

And this is best of all.

810CguoouDL._SL1500_.jpg

If by best you mean best at including unnecessary and not a team color, then yes, the one you posted is the "best"

I don't see the big deal with a grey facemask for a team wearing a helmet that they used back when grey was the only color facemasks could be made in.

8100524.jpg

Bowling%20Green.jpg

And this is best of all.

810CguoouDL._SL1500_.jpg

If by best you mean best at including unnecessary and not a team color, then yes, the one you posted is the "best"

I don't see the big deal with a grey facemask for a team wearing a helmet that they used back when grey was the only color facemasks could be made in.

Doesn't make it a team color

dhlJpvy.png
rxzieid.png

8100524.jpg

Bowling%20Green.jpg

And this is best of all.

810CguoouDL._SL1500_.jpg

Doesn't make it a team color

I'm taking it that you view the grey facemask as akin to nnob jerseys (something you can never go back to once alternatives exist).

A red helmet cage would look atrocious.

The thing is that there's a fine line between "uniform" and "equiptment." There's no requirement that the latter has to be in team colours, and you could easily make the case that the facemask on a football helmet is very much equipment. Like a chinstrap.

Not that it matters though. The grey facemask is prevalent for teams wanting a traditional look. It may not be the brand YOU like, but it's what they're running with.

I think a football helmet facemask is a different animal than a hockey cage. Football facemasks use a rubber coating that is thicker than a cage so they're more visible and less easily ignored. Also you can't play football without one. It's as permanent a feature of the uniform as the jersey and isn't going away so it requires more consideration as a uniform element that must work with the rest of the uniform.

Hockey cages on the other hand are possible to play the sport without so a cage feels more like a tacked on accessory that needs less thought put into it because it's not a permanent fixture of a uniform*

*not a permanent fixture at all levels and the levels where it is permanent are a mess. College teams could stand to go through some team-wide standardizing. Used to drive me nuts that some guys on OSU wore chrome while some had black and some had white and then a few goobers wore clear plastic shields.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A football helmet is also 100X more important to team identity than a hockey cage. That gray facemask is a part of the Browns visual identity. There's a gray facemask at midfield at Lucas Oil Stadium (Colts). While the facemask (and the helmet shell, for that matter) is equipment, it's also a part of the uniform. The college hockey helmet/cage are not used as an identity. Therefore I'd argue that the cage color matters much, much less.

It's all personal perception, I guess, but to me, the black or silver cages in that photo don't stick out. A gray mask on a team with no gray sticks out like a sore thumb.

Heck, the closeup photo of the BU player with a silver cage shows a black cage in the background; that's probably the first time anyone really took note of the lack of uniformity there. That would never happen in football.

And a football helmet is equipment so why don't teams just start going to plain white?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My Predictions for the new Browns uniforms.

• Helmet will be matte orange, but the striping will remain the same and with a white facemask.
  • Just only brown and white jerseys with a possible throwback to the Jim Brown days.
  • There will be no brown pants on the identity and taking their place will be orange pants like the pic below from the 1980's alongside the classic white pants.
  • Uniform design will be similar to the Vikings (classic but with modern touches)
  • Finally, the Browns will be far superior to Tampa and Jacksonvillle's atrocities.

ax057-0e17-9jpg-745246d003c1a48f.jpg

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived