New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so the other day i got one of those SI ads where you sign up for SI and get a team shirt or something...then you pick what team sticker you want to select the shirt...they had the browns with a brown facemask...i didnt think anything of it, cause they had some of the other teams in older helmets like the 49ers...damn maybe they knew something.

Underwhelmed? No.

Upset? Yes.

The Browns had an opportunity to be at the forefront. They could have had completely unique, identifiable, unmatched, epic logos. They could have changed the entire face of the franchise. They could have, at least for one day, changed the national perception of the franchise. Instead... They changed the facemask color... same old Browns. Everything that made the Browns the butt of every joke was just perpetuated.

What a waste of everyone's time. This City, especially the Browns fans, are so stuck in the 60's. It has really started to turn off younger fans. We have these old guys in their 60s who are so obsessed with the glory days and it sucks the life and hope out of everyone. AND THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO LIKES TRADITIONAL UNIFORMS.

"It could be worse..." is no justification for the changes. Why the f--- would you even say its a new logo? They could have just released this and no one outside of this forum would even notice until OTA's.

Reddit... hilarious.

Too bad there isn't a real logo, but other than that, I'm happy they didn't do something stupid. Gives me hope for the uniforms.

And it's too bad we're losing that nice gray mask on the old orange, but the brown mask beats the hell out of that nasty white one.

So I am trying to figure out why everyone is so upset.

Is it...

A. The changes themselves?

----A.1 The brown mask?

----A.2 The lack of change?

----A.3 The change to the orange?

B. The amount of hype for almost no change?

If it's "B", I do think it's odd...they could have slapped a brown mask on the helmet and had us chattering during their training camp and/or first pre-season game. They probably did not need to make a big thing of it.

But as someone above pointed out..."phew"

I'm more mad at myself for believing that there was actually going to be a change. At least have the physical helmet (a la the Buccaneers last year) so we can see how the new orange looks w/ the brown facemask... I don't know... just SOMETHING more... *shrugs*

Yeah the only real complaint I had about this is the build up for nothing. Then I started to think about it and I realized that wasn't necessarily the Browns fault. They didn't do a big tease. They didn't advertise it on their website. So lets slow down bashing them for building up this minor change when they really didn't have much to do with that.

Orange really pops,I love it - I never liked the washed out pale look the old ones sometimes had. Same way I prefer 2000 orange pants to 1980. And thankfully the opposite direction of Tennessee and pro bowl rumors. Helmet is an upgrade and a leaf.

The dawg is too cutesy, a downgrade. And I thought from the start a non helmet primary was planned -;that's the biggest disappointment.

In my opinion, the upgrades are on the field and the downgrades (the wordmark and dawg logo) are off to the side. So this works out great.

Now we play the waiting game for the neck-down portion of the uniform. Will they be the Bengals (goofy uniform below essentially classic helmet) or, well, the Browns (moderate change to classic uniform; hype much ado about nothing).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

so the other day i got one of those SI ads where you sign up for SI and get a team shirt or something...then you pick what team sticker you want to select the shirt...they had the browns with a brown facemask...i didnt think anything of it, cause they had some of the other teams in older helmets like the 49ers...damn maybe they knew something.

Speaking of unbelievably-possible leaks...Where's that picture of that trucker style hat with the brown facemask?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The brown facemask is a downgrade. The only worse color in their palette they could have chosen was orange. It doesn't look good and it'll be a jarring departure for them.

I'm glad they didn't touch the helmet otherwise. The orange changed, but whatever.

The dog logo is much worse than the last, but it doesn't really make any difference because that logo's of little consequence.

The wordmark is bad but forgettable. It looks exactly like what it is - a mid teens wordmark with awkward and unnecessary angles. It'll look dated in five years and should last no more than ten, but we're talking about the Browns so it'll probably be around for 15 years unless they have to start entirely from scratch because the fans go nuts over the uniforms.

Most importantly, how in the hell do they not come up with an actual primary logo? I am one of the biggest fans of the classic Cleveland Browns uniforms on here. I didn't want the uniforms touched, but I still said from the beginning that they MUST make an actual logo and just leave it off the helmets. Ridiculous.

So, it could have been much, much worse. I'm glad the helmet wasn't changed. Dog logo blows and wordmark sucks, but whatever. Still, the Browns failed in this round. However, if they only make equivalent changes to their uniforms (new orange and wordmark), that part will be a huge success.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So, one thing we can't tell is what type of paint finishes the helmet will employ. I doubt they'll go to a nickel/chrome brown facemask, like the Buccaneers did, but should we consider it a possibility?

What about a matte paint finish? Or a satin, like the Vikings? Would be a subtle but fresh take. I would not mind seeing that. Bowling Green went matte orange with this image, and I like it.

8100524.jpg

It's silly that they use a '80s helmet for their logo. I say '80s and not '90s because of how the facemask connects.

Talk about deliberately dating your team. It's impossible to have a "timeless" look when your logo is direct from a particular era.

The other baffling thing is that helmet doesn't exist today, so they are going out of their way to not be contemporary, but also not be traditional. Just a silly decision.

So your logo is a helmet, but not one that anyone on the team will wear. Just doesn't make sense.

Other than that, it's more the hype that has me dissapointed. But I"m not sure how much hype came from the team, and how much was generated here. I think more was probably generated here, so I can't kill the team for that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived