New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how everybody expects the worse uniforms ever.

I would wager based on reaction on this site alone that Nike is 1/6 in their re-designs so far. Bucs, Jags, and Dolphins were all considered failures. Seahawks and Panthers are a wash. Vikings were an overwhelming success.

Cleveland's got arguably the most traditional and plain uniform in pro sports and it's not in need of a total overhaul. Hearing that Nike is going to go balls-out on this old franchise is a foreboding prospect.

Seahawks, Dolphins and Vikings were a total success. Bucs and Jags were mostly good with one poor element. Other than the Bucs, all 4 were comfortable upgrades overall compared with the existing really dated looking uniforms.

People on here are far, far too hasty to condemn something that isn't 100% traditional when it comes to a uniform. Since the new Seahawks Unis when Nike took over, this board goes into every rebrand with torches and pitchforks drawn and ready to storm the gates. They are champing at the bit to condemn everything that doesn't look like a Packers recolour.

The Seahawks jerseys look great. They are far from the monstrosity that this board would have you believe they are. They are a nice, modern design that replaced a really boring, dated existing design.

As a Dolphins supporter, the Dolphins were a massive upgrade. You could never wear a dolphins jersey around because they were sparkly and garish and an awful shade of aqua. The new uniforms look better onfield and look 1000 times better as replicas. The vikings were a total success.

There were issues with the Vikings and Bucs numbers, and the Jags helmet, but the Vikings were a massive upgrade overall and the Jags were replacing a pretty uninspired uniform, and barring the helmet, there isn't a lot wrong with them.

I'd argue 4.5/6. I'd give you that the Bucs old uniforms were better, and i'll give you half a point for the Jags helmet, but other than that it's upgrades across the board.

I must disagree with a lot of your post as I understand that is your opinion, but here is mine:

Seahawks: I don't necessary hate the new uniform, but I liked the previous set better and here is why;

1) The color scheme of the old set was not Navy, it was a unique blend of colors that set Seattle apart from every other team in the league. Now with the Navy, they blend in with San Diego, Houston, Broncos, and the Bears.

2) I like the addition of the lime/neon green, but it should be used more through all uniform sets as it would look better on the road uniforms than the use of navy.

3) The gray alternate uniform is garbage, it looks like a dirty white jersey.

Dolphins: You say it was an upgrade, well it was an update that still pisses me off. I absolutely hate the flying dolphin logo as nothing should have ever replaced the old logo (an update would have worked). Here are other issues with the uniform:

1) Why the lack of orange? If more orange had been incorporated into the uniform it would have been better, but yet they chose to go with the navy blue, which should be removed ASAP.

2) Why no alternate uniform? An orange jersey would make this set improve drastically.

3) The facemask should be Aqua!

Vikings: Hands down the best uniform that Nike has introduced since coming back to the NFL and I loved their old uniforms. However, there are a few things I don't like:

1) The facemask should be purple and not black.

2) The sails font should appear on every number or not appear at all.

Jaguars: Simply the worst looking uniform in the NFL from Head to Toe

1) The helmet destroys an otherwise modern uniform.

Buccaneers: Last year they had the best looking uniform in the NFL, now they have the second worst as there are so many things wrong with the overall concept:

1) The helmet color changes way too much depending on the light.

2) The logo is too damn big.

3) The yokes on the shoulders are for the XFL and Arena Football league

4) The forced orange in the uniform is not necessary.

5) Having Bucs on one arm and the pirate ship on the other is not consistent. The Bucs script should have been placed on the chest and the pirate ship on both arms.

6) The stripes on the pants are forced and make the whole uniform look like :censored:.

7) The font is the worst I have ever seen Nike introduce! The dashes on the numbers look horrible and the number "5" should be changed immediately.

8) Since Nike as come into the NFL, I have ranked all their uniforms on a 15 point basis and this uniform score was a 2.8 out of 10, which is by far the worst ratings I have given. However, thanks to the Jaguars helmet, I feel they are still the worst in the league.

spacer.png

Another team folding into Nike's horrible redesign. The league is losing track of what it once was. If I were a Cleveland Fan I would be utterly pissed.

All 7 of them agree with you
We all know the Browns have at least 20 fans.

2013 NFL Attendance;

Cleveland Browns - 569,939 total, 71,242 average (11th place overall)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (for instance) - 470,548 total, 58,818 average (29th place overall)

Considering the product that Browns fans have had to deal with you could argue that they are ridiculously loyal. (And I am not a Browns fan.)

Very well played, sir.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Another team folding into Nike's horrible redesign. The league is losing track of what it once was. If I were a Cleveland Fan I would be utterly pissed.

2013 NFL Attendance;

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (for instance) - 470,548 total, 58,818 average (29th place overall)

Considering the product that Browns fans have had to deal with you could argue that they are ridiculously loyal. (And I am not a Browns fan.)

That is an insane number considering the terrible product. Which shows there is a very strong brand there, and no need to change their identity.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

2013 NFL Attendance;

That is an insane number considering the terrible product. Which shows there is a very strong brand there, and no need to change their identity.

That is a solid fanbase there. I've always admired their loyalty and passion. If there is a football God out there, I hope that he pays those fans back for all the s**t they've been through.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

2013 NFL Attendance;

That is a solid fanbase there. I've always admired their loyalty and passion. If there is a football God out there, I hope that he pays those fans back for all the s**t they've been through.

tell god that they need a new owner

In all fairness Northeast Ohio has been beaten into the ground by the sports gods. Every season I just assume the worst will happen.

But back to the topic. The brand is strong, but can use an update. We need a real logo and somewhat modernized uniforms with more options. I'm sick of seeing all-white and brown-white.

In all fairness Northeast Ohio has been beaten into the ground by the sports gods. Every season I just assume the worst will happen.

But back to the topic. The brand is strong, but can use an update. We need a real logo and somewhat modernized uniforms with more options. I'm sick of seeing all-white and brown-white.

That is why they only need to bring back the orange pants and change the facemask to white.

I grew up a Browns fan and no so long ago I wanted them to have a modern uniform with a logo on the helmet...well these days my story has changed as there are only a few things that need to change (listed above) and the uniform will be beautiful once again.

spacer.png

Seahawks: I don't necessary hate the new uniform, but I liked the previous set better and here is why;

1) The color scheme of the old set was not Navy, it was a unique blend of colors that set Seattle apart from every other team in the league. Now with the Navy, they blend in with San Diego, Houston, Broncos, and the Bears. TOTALLY AGREE, I LOVED THE GREY-BLUE AND NAVY COMBO

2) I like the addition of the lime/neon green, but it should be used more through all uniform sets as it would look better on the road uniforms than the use of navy.

3) The gray alternate uniform is garbage, it looks like a dirty white jersey.

And I would add that the use of the oversized numbers on the jersey and the feather pattern on the numbers is overkill. Using it on the helmet is irrelevant since it is basically not visible except on extreme closeups.

Dolphins: You say it was an upgrade, well it was an update that still pisses me off. I absolutely hate the flying dolphin logo as nothing should have ever replaced the old logo (an update would have worked). Here are other issues with the uniform:

1) Why the lack of orange? If more orange had been incorporated into the uniform it would have been better, but yet they chose to go with the navy blue, which should be removed ASAP.

2) Why no alternate uniform? An orange jersey would make this set improve drastically.

3) The facemask should be Aqua!

I am fine with the white facemask but the lack of orange, the overuse of navy (again with the navy) and the new logo are all major issues for me.

Vikings: Hands down the best uniform that Nike has introduced since coming back to the NFL and I loved their old uniforms. However, there are a few things I don't like:

1) The facemask should be purple and not black.

2) The sails font should appear on every number or not appear at all.

I agree about the sails font, but I do like the black facemask. It could be white or purple, but the black is not a huge issue for me since the logo uses black as a color. A major upgrade over the prior over-modernized logo.

Jaguars: Simply the worst looking uniform in the NFL from Head to Toe

1) The helmet destroys an otherwise modern uniform.

I can live with most of the uniform, including the odd pant stripes, but I am still baffled by the horrible helmet, and how, how after so many years have the jaguars never incorporated a spot motif in even a slight way. There have been so many good concepts on this website with spot pattern done well, how hard could it be?

Buccaneers: Last year they had the best looking uniform in the NFL, now they have the second worst as there are so many things wrong with the overall concept:

1) The helmet color changes way too much depending on the light.

2) The logo is too damn big.

3) The yokes on the shoulders are for the XFL and Arena Football league

4) The forced orange in the uniform is not necessary.

5) Having Bucs on one arm and the pirate ship on the other is not consistent. The Bucs script should have been placed on the chest and the pirate ship on both arms.

6) The stripes on the pants are forced and make the whole uniform look like :censored:.

7) The font is the worst I have ever seen Nike introduce! The dashes on the numbers look horrible and the number "5" should be changed immediately.

8) Since Nike as come into the NFL, I have ranked all their uniforms on a 15 point basis and this uniform score was a 2.8 out of 10, which is by far the worst ratings I have given. However, thanks to the Jaguars helmet, I feel they are still the worst in the league.

The new pewter is just murky grey on any non-metallic surface (so anything but the helmet since no one makes metallic sheen pants anymore)

The logo is too damn big.

I could actually tolerate the jerseys and pants (without the font) if they used black instead of the murky grey. Black with red is fine (perhaps a little too close to Atlanta)

The numbers, oh the horror of those numbers!!!

When I think of new uniform designs, Minnesota, Buffalo and the Chargers stand out, perhaps because they kept a more traditional vibe to them, while the Tampa, Jacksonville, even Arizona, fail because they are trying too hard to be innovative.

On the topic of Browns uniforms, what do we know?

Only that the owner has said that their uniforms will be "cutting edge" (BrandMooreArt said that someone in the know has described them as "wild"). The owner had earlier said that the helmets wouldn't be changing, but who knows if that's still the case?

And that's all we know.

Only that the owner has said that their uniforms will be "cutting edge" (BrandMooreArt said that someone in the know has described them as "wild"). The owner had earlier said that the helmets wouldn't be changing, but who knows if that's still the case?

And that's all we know.

Didn't BrandMooreArt say he was told some of the designs for next year are wild, not just the Browns in particular?

Concerning the "What we know?" question:

The President of the Cleveland Browns, Alec Scheiner, has been quoted as saying:

• "We’ll have cutting edge uniforms that link back to our history."
  • “I don’t want to speak about the Bucs uniforms, but I’m really excited about our direction.”
  • "I'd be very surprised if our fans didn't love our new look uniforms. I think we're headed down a really cool path."
  • Jimmy Haslem has also confirmed that the helmet will NOT change with the uniforms.

So, in summation, cutting edge uniforms that link to the past (which I believe the Jaguars and Buccaneers both said in their uniform reboots), but no change to the helmet. Scheiner then goes on to specifically differentiate the Browns from the Buccs new uniforms, but says we are headed down a cool path. I literally have no idea what to expect.

My biggest fear is the Browns will have an ultra modern style uniform with a vintage helmet. I hate the idea of a team having 2 different styles to their uniforms... either a modern helmet and vintage uniform or a vintage helmet and modern uniform. Even though the Buccaneers and Jaguars have terrible rebrands, at least the entire uniform is completely modernized and not conflicting in style.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

And that's all we know.

Didn't BrandMooreArt say he was told some of the designs for next year are wild, not just the Browns in particular?

Yeah, that was the impression I got from BMA's post also. That there were some "wild" (translation: stupid) designs coming, but he didn't necessarily say (or know) that the Browns new uniform would be one of them.

I'm holding out hope that these could be nice based on three things;

One, the helmet isn't changing. Hard to picture Bucs/Jags/Hawks ugliness siting under that plain helmet. Not an impossibility by any means, but I'd rather think not.

Two, the statement about the fans liking them. The mindset of Browns fans is rather similar to Packer and Steeler fans, and its pretty difficult to imagine anybody talking about major modernistic overhauls to either of those teams and trying to sell the idea that "the fans will love it". Again, not impossible, but something to hang some hope on.

And three, Nike proved with the Vikings' redo that they have the ability to at least somewhat reign in their non-sense. There was a lot of talk during that build up about paying homage to the past and giving it a modern spin... sure they couldn't help themselves but to toss in a few quirks that might look dated soon, but at least you can tell they really did look at older Viking uniforms and try to make a few links.

Of course, there's nothing in any of that to say they won't go with something utterly moronic either. What's funny/weird/frustrating in all the verbal build up is that pretty much every team has said the same things... "Looking at our past", "link to the great traditions", "fans will be excited"... there really is no sure way to read into any of that and say for sure what's coming.

Concerning the "What we know?" question:

The President of the Cleveland Browns, Alec Scheiner, has been quoted as saying:

• "We’ll have cutting edge uniforms that link back to our history."
  • “I don’t want to speak about the Bucs uniforms, but I’m really excited about our direction.”
  • "I'd be very surprised if our fans didn't love our new look uniforms. I think we're headed down a really cool path."
  • Jimmy Haslem has also confirmed that the helmet will NOT change with the uniforms.

So, in summation, cutting edge uniforms that link to the past (which I believe the Jaguars and Buccaneers both said in their uniform reboots), but no change to the helmet. Scheiner then goes on to specifically differentiate the Browns from the Buccs new uniforms, but says we are headed down a cool path. I literally have no idea what to expect.

My biggest fear is the Browns will have an ultra modern style uniform with a vintage helmet. I hate the idea of a team having 2 different styles to their uniforms... either a modern helmet and vintage uniform or a vintage helmet and modern uniform. Even though the Buccaneers and Jaguars have terrible rebrands, at least the entire uniform is completely modernized and not conflicting in style.

I recall when Jimmy Haslam made the comment about the helmet not changing, the rumor / fear going around Cleveland was the Browns would be adding a logo to the helmet.

By saying the "helmet is not changing" he could mean the basic logoless orange helmet will remain, but that does not mean the they won't tweak it.

Most would not say the Vikings helmet changed, basic idea is still there, but they modernized it to fit the new identity. The majority of people probably do not even notice said changes.

If the Browns went to a tapered modern stripe and a matte helmet, most would not notice.

All in all, everything these teams say beforehand is like bands talking about their new album and saying how its their best work, a return to their roots, and totally different than anything else they've done.

Pure speculation here:

The entire helmet (facemask included) will be chrome. The helmet stripes will continue onto the facemask. Said stripes will be thicker and truncated in the back.

Orange pants return.

Sleeves will have vertical stripes that mimic the helmet stripes.

Numbers will have an outline.

Sigs are for sissies.

am i the only one who thinks Nike isn't that stupid to drastically change the uni's and chrome everything, believe it or not Nike can make a traditional uniform, just look at Florida, Alabama, ect, I know they said "cutting edge" but that can just mean the materials of the uniforms, they might be using a new nike template, with a traditional design, probably a custom font, or something like ohio states rivalry numbers

am i the only one who thinks Nike isn't that stupid to drastically change the uni's and chrome everything, believe it or not Nike can make a traditional uniform, just look at Florida, Alabama, ect, I know they said "cutting edge" but that can just mean the materials of the uniforms, they might be using a new nike template, with a traditional design, probably a custom font, or something like ohio states rivalry numbers

its my belief that Nike has been working on a new uniform template for the NFL and the ELITE51 is just to serve the business for the time being, while a new uniform is being developed. and i doubt its just a vent, mesh, and seam adjustment. it they are working on something like this, i would imagine it wont be released to just 1 or 2 teams but will be a league wide option (the other option being the Elite51) when it's ready.

Nike can execute a vintage uniform pretty well, but the reason Alabama and Florida look the way they do is because thats what the schools want. i think one of the reasons Nike got this uniform contract (besides money) with the NFL and how they justify themselves as being "the best option" is to do designs like the Jaguars, Bucs, Seahawks, etc. and those teams are open to Nike working their magic. i think its pretty clear the Vikings were more in control than the other teams and wanted to make sure they got something that actually looked like a Vikings uniform.

i also think that the Browns will get the usual Nike treatment with the jersey and pants. the fact that the Browns are willing to do something new says to me that they really want to do something new. I dont see the use in modifying stripes and subtle tweaks. the direction i am seeing is that they will try to please everyone with a new jersey design and the old standard helmet. and with the NFL approving chrome mask, oversized logos, gradients, chrome numbers, etc., i think it opens up a lot of options for next years batch of redesigns, however many that will be. we just continue to see the Nike influence grow larger and larger

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived