New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the new "logo" is underwhelming, I'm hoping that the lack of drastic change in the logo means a lack of drastic change in the uniforms. I'm also hoping that the apparent emphasis of orange means orange pants.

I'm also well aware that my hopes and my expectations are not the same. I like Cleveland's uniforms (maybe too much), and I'm terrified and well aware that they're probably going to be ruined.

The dog logo is fine. I don't like that it doesn't have a key line though. Hell, if this was the primary I'd be fine with that. At least they did something.

Why does the team president keep saying that creating an actual logo would be "going to radical" but says the uniforms will be a big departure? That is completely backwards.

Pros:

• The new shade of orange is should look pretty good on the helmet. I like it.
  • It could have been a lot worse.

Cons:

• Going with a logo that basically represents a seating section in your stadium.
  • Brown face mask. My opinion is a chrome face mask would work much better with the new shade of orange.

BB52Big.jpg

While the new "logo" is underwhelming, I'm hoping that the lack of drastic change in the logo means a lack of drastic change in the uniforms. I'm also hoping that the apparent emphasis of orange means orange pants.

I'm also well aware that my hopes and my expectations are not the same. I like Cleveland's uniforms (maybe too much), and I'm terrified and well aware that they're probably going to be ruined.

I think the majority of the fan base wants to see this too. Even if they slide a gray sliver into the striping between the brown and orange stripes on the pants or sleeves it could be a good look. I'd even be happy if that alternate shirt was the style worn by Eric Metcalf (Brown shirt, one orange stripe, one white stripe). I'm pretty sure it'll be an orange jersey though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Browns team president Alec Scheiner, to Paul Lukas: "We took a fairly conservative route with the changes we unveiled today, and then we think our uniforms will be more of a radical change, and we think our fans want that too."

No, that's the exact opposite of what people want. Idiots.

I'm thinking az cards. classic helmet & logo completely disconnected with a modern uniform.

I understand being upset about the hype for what amounted to minor tweaks and the new dog logo, but are people really upset about the actual logo? Not having a logo/using a helmet is the Browns thing. If they're gonna screw up the uniforms, at least they're keeping some tradition alive.

They still have the elf (according to twitter) and dog (even if it new one is a downgrade) as secondary logos like they did before. (Are the keeping the B in Ball?) So it's not like the helmet is their only logo.

103430.png

I love this song so much. That bridge! I headbang to it. You could add "absolutely nothing's changed" today. Haha.

The other baffling thing is that helmet doesn't exist today, so they are going out of their way to not be contemporary, but also not be traditional. Just a silly decision.

So your logo is a helmet, but not one that anyone on the team will wear. Just doesn't make sense.

They might be better off using a 2-D, single-bar helmet as their primary logo. That way, it's a true throwback, not just the outdated helmet template from the '90s.

Yeah the 2D single-bar helmet would work. It'd create more of a retro vibe on merch, and would tie back to the early days of the franchise (I'm assuming they once wore that style.)

Another thing that baffles me is that they remove gray from the helmet, but then say that they're adding it to the uniform? WHAT? People were complaining that they had a gray mask when that wasn't one of their colors, then they make it one of their colors, but remove it completely from the helmet? That's just change for change's sake. Keeping the mask and maybe working it in to the stripe would have been better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the brown face mask and the new orange. But I'm shocked they didn't use a modern helmet template. That would've been my guess, but oh well, that's the Browns.

Also the Dawg Pound logo is disappointing.

Continuity when placed with other teams' helmets is the factor to not changing to a "modern" helmet style. All 32 franchises would need to update as the NFL would never let one helmet look different than all the others.

Oh no , Gun Metal Gray is being applied to color sheme...

https://mobile.twitter.com/tonygrossi/status/570242289571897344

Tony Grossi is an idiot who is only reporting rumor and hear say he hasn't seen a thing. I'll bet money there is no Gray or they would have had elements of it in at least one of the 2 logos. No NFL team has uniform colors that aren't in some aspect of at least one of their logos.

They still have the elf (according to twitter) and dog (even if it new one is a downgrade) as secondary logos like they did before. (Are the keeping the B in Ball?) So it's not like the helmet is their only logo.

But the helmet will be on all the official graphics and merchandise. Which is incredibly stupid.

But the helmet will be on all the official graphics and merchandise. Which is incredibly stupid.
This.

Lots of teams have other logos, but more often than not the primary is the one seen everywhere. This was their opportunity to create something that gave them an actual identity and they whiffed it. Even if they feel like the helmet is their identity, we have seen many concepts that evoke that without looking like it was pulled from the style guide.

I'm flabbergasted at the reaction here and on social media. What did everyone really expect?
And of course I'm not surprised by social media's reaction--shows their lack of design knowledge and stupidity... Don't even get me started on the "leaked uniforms" (every freakin' concept found online).

Anywhooo...
This is worth sharing at this point...
My former roommate held a position in the graphics department with NFL Films in the fall/winter of 2013-14.

He told me:

___
-he was involved with presenting/pitching the NFL's choice for the logo to the Browns, through a video
___
-"the logo pitched was not the one chosen
Well... The version that was pitched was a frontal view of the helmet with a face inside it" (his exact words in quotes)
___
-"I wasn't a huge fan but that's what the NFL came up with for the Browns"
___
-"There was also a flaming football that looked like an arena league team but they didn't end up pitching that one"
___

I'm pleased with the logo, and it sounds like the Browns ultimately made a wise decision.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'm actually amazed that the NFL's licensing department keeps allowing the Browns to get away with not having a real logo in this day and age. Then again, with how amateurish the "Dawg Pound" logo looks, maybe it's for the best that they didn't even try to get a real logo to call their own.

I will say that the brown facemasks are a masterstroke, though. Now their facemasks won't stick out like a sore thumb and ruin the entire helmet anymore.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I like the brown face mask and the new orange. But I'm shocked they didn't use a modern helmet template. That would've been my guess, but oh well, that's the Browns.

Also the Dawg Pound logo is disappointing.

THIS.

They've used different helmet templates in the past, but somehow this one has survived since 1992. It was fine then, but it looks dated now. If you want a modern evolution of your traditional brand elements, why would you NOT use a modern helmet template? Oh, because you're the Browns and you can't even be trusted to make a grilled cheese sandwich.

Or, because 1) the modern helmet shapes are proprietary designs of those companies, so the Browns would have to pay Riddell for every time the logo appeared on a t-shirt; and 2) literally every other NFL team has a logo in this template, so it would be silly for them to create a new Revo Speed logo (which would be dated in 5 years) while also having the NFL-mandated logo in the current style to match all other teams'.

Plus, this traditional, normal helmet shape looks better as a logo than the Revo...it looks horrible on field and even worse in logo form.

ClevelandBrownsOpt1_zps68023c2c.jpg

If you use the "regular" QB/WR/RB Revo Speed facemask (like the Riddell mini helmets), I think it would improve that graphic.

The Revo Speed was kinda weird when it was introduced...but over the years, it's become my favorite helmet model. Looks great with a visor. And it's quite comfortable.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived